Will Catless Downpipe Void Warranty?

Enerzia

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem
I am thinking of getting the catless Titan downpipe. Will it void my warranty? I also have the 2021 model so I am fearful of the oil consumption issue occurring and I get screwed over because the downpipe voided the warranty.
Sponsored

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)
It will throw a CEL but as long as youā€™re not tuning the ECU, I donā€™t see how they can deny warranty unless they can prove the catless downpipe caused the damage.

A91_Alita

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
Youā€™ll be fine, but itā€™s always better to be proactive before u take it in to put the stock one back on.

Deepseahooyah

First Name
Willis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90 Premium
It will throw a CEL but as long as youā€™re not tuning the ECU, I donā€™t see how they can deny warranty unless they can prove the catless downpipe caused the damage.
Just a heads up Toyota TAS dept already tried to say my AWE track exhaust was causing my issue and that I need to return to stock to diagnose. (I am having multiple ISSUES). This dealership installed all the parts lol. Tread carefully my friend.

I truly believe, that Toyota is gonna throw darts at whatever they can push blame on. if I could go back to stock I would. Toyota used all my new OE parts and put them on my buyback. then took all my upgraded parts and put them on this new one.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Just a heads up Toyota TAS dept already tried to say my AWE track exhaust was causing my issue and that I need to return to stock to diagnose. (I am having multiple ISSUES). This dealership installed all the parts lol. Tread carefully my friend.

I truly believe, that Toyota is gonna throw darts at whatever they can push blame on. if I could go back to stock I would. Toyota used all my new OE parts and put them on my buyback. then took all my upgraded parts and put them on this new one.
What was the issue?

MCSeverino

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited
The answer is no, it does not automatically void your warranty, but if a defect is somehow caused by the down pipe (or other mod), then that defect would not be covered.

In practice, expect any engine-related issue to be blamed on the aftermarket part(s). If Toyota denies a warranty claim, then you would have to fight them, which requires significant time and money. If you have to take them to court, you need to pay a lawyer to prosecute the case, and also an expert to testify on your behalf that the mods did not cause the defect. Toyota, like any manufacturer, has both lawyers and people who can act experts under its employ. Toyota's cost versus yours is nothing. How much do you want to spend?

A lot of people talk huge games on internet forums about "this and that won't void your warranty, you can fight them!" Those people are not the ones left with a defective car and a manufacturer to fight.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Initial denials can be reversed well short of an attorney and any formal process. Arm your dealership with sufficient information to push back of the warranty rep and you might well be successful. The key is a respectful and collaborative relationship with your dealership. Itā€™s worked for me, on modded vehicles. Not a sure thing at all, but letā€™s face it - some claims should be denied.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
no mod will automatically void your entire warranty. A dealership can refuse a repair job for free if they think your mod caused the problem.

downpipes reduce pressure on your turbo and allow them to breathe easier. I don't see how one can blame the DP for any failure.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
As always pay to play. Yes, adding a downpipe will not void your warranty on issues unaffected by a downpipe (example electronics, etc).

But Toyota can deny warranty claims on powertrain related issues for adding a downpipe so you have to tread lightly.

Honestly if you are not going to add a tune I would just defer the downpipe for now. There are probably more cons to adding one without a tune than pros.

SpeedRacer

First Name
AP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I asked the Supra tech at my local dealership about mods recently.

He said itā€™s up to the service manager and Toyota. When we spoke about specific mods, he said cat back exhausts and cold air intakes were probably fine but commented I might run into trouble with a catless or high flow down pipe.

I was just curious since Iā€™ve considered an exhaust but with 1 kid going into college + 1 needing new golf clubs , they donā€™t leave me with much money for mods. ?

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)
As always pay to play. Yes, adding a downpipe will not void your warranty on issues unaffected by a downpipe (example electronics, etc).

But Toyota can deny warranty claims on powertrain related issues for adding a downpipe so you have to tread lightly.

Honestly if you are not going to add a tune I would just defer the downpipe for now. There are probably more cons to adding one without a tune than pros.
What are the cons of running a downpipe?

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What are the cons of running a downpipe?
Potential warranty denial. If your not using a tune, potential for a CEL.

In my mind, only way I am running a downpipe is if I tune the car and add other supporting mods and go full send. At that point I won't worry about my powertrain warranty because it's not longer relevant.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I asked the Supra tech at my local dealership about mods recently.

He said itā€™s up to the service manager and Toyota. When we spoke about specific mods, he said cat back exhausts and cold air intakes were probably fine but commented I might run into trouble with a catless or high flow down pipe.

I was just curious since Iā€™ve considered an exhaust but with 1 kid going into college + 1 needing new golf clubs , they donā€™t leave me with much money for mods. ?
Keep in mind if there is a full engine teardown/replacement Toyota corporate may want evidence and even send a tech onsite to confirm there was no supporting mods/tune that could have resulted in failure. At that point it's even out of the service managers hands.

Deepseahooyah

First Name
Willis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90 Premium
Keep in mind if there is a full engine teardown/replacement Toyota corporate may want evidence and even send a tech onsite to confirm there was no supporting mods/tune that could have resulted in failure. At that point it's even out of the service managers hands.
Well said.
Sponsored