What Mods Do and Do Not Void the Warranty?

10ICTXN

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 White
Pretty much what the title says. Does anyone KNOW what voids the manufacture’s warranty. I haven’t done much; wind deflectors, rock guards, planned ceramic coating etc. As I think of other things I may do, I want to steer clear of anything that would jeopardize the warranty coverage until they run out. Things such as air intake, exhaust, down pipe, do any or all of those cross the line? I’m really interested in the facts as opposed to conjecture. Any Toyota folks in the know that can chime in? Thanks for any response.
Sponsored

OP
OP

10ICTXN

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 White
Pretty much what the title says. Does anyone KNOW what voids the manufacture’s warranty. I haven’t done much; wind deflectors, rock guards, planned ceramic coating etc. As I think of other things I may do, I want to steer clear of anything that would jeopardize the warranty coverage until it runs out. Things such as air intake, exhaust, down pipe, do any or all of those cross the line? I’m really interested in the facts as opposed to conjecture. Any Toyota folks in the know that can chime in? Thanks for any response.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
You’ll get a lot of opinions shortly from “any mod no matter how minor can void all of your warranty” to the other extreme.

what is at the heart of claim denial and consumer protection is whether or not a warranty claim can be reasonably linked to a mod you made. Could your mod have REASONABLY caused the failure of whatever it is that happened. There is a lot of room for disagreement, but not infinite.

a mod to your engine is likely not reasonably linked to a failure of your speakers, for example and vice versa.

Tuning and other mods that increase power might be more reasonably linked to a variety of failures from motor to drivetrain and more.

So, think through what you want to do and use causal reasoning to think about risk management.

wind deflectors and curb feelers are probably fine.

OP
OP

10ICTXN

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 White
Sorry for the duplicate post, the downfall of making a post from my phone I guess. Maybe a moderator can delete one of these.

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
Here's the thing - no one can answer this question for you, nor should you believe anyone who gives you a definite answer either way, because it's not something you will genuinely know the answer to until you need to make the warranty claim. Cosmetic mods, etc. should not void your warranty, generally speaking.

Past that - it's tough, especially power mods. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that they have to PROVE that your modifications caused a failure - but that's not very difficult for them to do. If you put a rod through the bottom of your block, and had a tune, it's quite simple to prove that you ran the engine beyond its intended spec. You could hire a metallurgist, etc. to prove your case - but paying for the repairs will probably end up being the cheaper option.

On the suspension side, the situation is the same. Lowering springs can easily be considered to be running your OEM dampers out of spec. Same with bushings, etc.

Throwing in an aftermarket amplifier, or even a hardwired radar detector or dashcam, opens you up to having issues with warranty claims on the entire electrical system. I was just reading about someone who had a dealer give them a line of crap, saying that plugging in their OBD2 tool caused the system to have problems.

At the end of the day, for more minor repairs, it's going to be about your dealership. If they're mod friendly, you shouldn't have any real issues. If you blow your engine, turbo, etc. - those kinds of repairs are going to require explicit approval from corporate, and they're going to need to see data before they'll approve it. If there's any evidence of mods, they're going to push to deny the claim, and probably void the warranty overall. There are some manufacturers who are making their techs scan for tunes and other modifications on ANY service visit, and are pre-emptively voiding warranties. That, and the (at the time, nearly 2 years ago) $20k cost of an OEM shortblock, or $30k for a built block, is what made me decide to trade my RS3 once I was ready to start modding. There was simply nothing on the market for a shortblock, even used, for under ~$15k. That just wasn't a cost I was willing to risk absorbing, in a worst-case scenario.

Just like with any car, you have to pay to play. Any modification opens you up to scrutiny. If you need for Toyota to honor your warranty - you know what you need to do. If you can cover the cost of repairs yourself in a worst case, then, by all means, mod away.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
For engine/powertrain any modification you do that changes the OEM part with an aftermarket part with the specific intent of increasing performance could result in a warranty denial.

Examples would include things like tuning the ECU, downpipes, intakes, big turbo, etc.

Mag/Moss warranty is not really going to protect you if you install things like the above and your engine blows.

It was never the intention of the act and I doubt many lawyers would even take your case.

Safe mods are typically cosmetic. Things like aero, wheels, maybe a cat back exhaust.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
As was said above, there's really no such thing as "voiding the warranty". The entire warranty can never be voided (except maybe for flood damage?). Individual claims can be denied if the dealership/manufacturer can reasonably attribute the failure to something you've done to the car, but that's different.

An intake, downpipe, tune, etc. could all be used to deny warranty claims if your engine blows, but not if your trunk release stops working, for example. A larger stereo system could be used to deny a warranty claim if your alternator dies, but not if your transmission won't shift into 2nd. If you're worried about ANY warranty claim being denied, then you can't really do anything to the car except add some stickers.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ANY warranty claim being denied, then you can't really do anything to the car except add some stickers.
beg pardon, but some stickers add in the neighborhood of 85-90 whp, and could therefore result in a denial of claim.
15AFB753-C9B9-4618-90D9-0826E72EC191.jpeg

SupraMK86

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 3.0 Premium
They have to prove that the modifications done directly caused the warranty claim.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
They have to prove that the modifications done directly caused the warranty claim.
Theoretically yes, but in practice they'll use any modification that's tangentially related to the failure as cause to deny the claim. Then it's up to you to lawyer up and fight them on it if you think otherwise.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Anything that's not cosmetic, can get warranty claims denied. I include a catback in that, because it's just for sound and looks (the tips) and has no effect on the engine.
Wheels, tint, catback, spoiler, lip, etc. All safe.

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
Anything that's not cosmetic, can get warranty claims denied. I include a catback in that, because it's just for sound and looks (the tips) and has no effect on the engine.
Wheels, tint, catback, spoiler, lip, etc. All safe.
I agree with this...
Except the spoiler/wing...if you put holes in your hatch n end up with electrical issues they could potentially blame it on leaking on to certain modules the are located in that area...

I think dealerships/ car manufacturers will try n find any and everything the can to deny warranty work...it just doesn't pay!

Steve

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Some dealerships are on your side. Particularly if they need the warranty work.

I’ve had warranty work done on tuned cars without issue, including getting an O2 sensor replaced despite having a CAI.
Sponsored