Window wipers freely move...

S7CKY

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Mustang 2018 Jeep Wrangler
Hope this isn't a dumb question, but has anyone noticed that you are able to move the wiper arms by hand to a central position when cleaning the car for example.

I have only had my Supra for 7 days and only noticed this today when giving it a wash. I must admit I do find it a little irritating that when cleaning the windscreen you are unable to 'lift' the wiper arms away from the screen......without getting in the car and centralising them via the wiper control.

I found by chance that when lifting the passenger wiper arm (right hand drive), both arms can easily be manually positioned wherever you want......with absolutely no resistance.

To be honest, I probably would not make a habit of doing this.......unless of course this is designed to work in this way.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
That little amount of "slop" is totally normal on these cars, as the wipers have a "park" position a bit lower than their stop point when the system is actively turned on. The motor & linkage allow some movement while off, and if you move it from where it was when the vehicle was turned off, sometimes you'll see them twitch a little once the ignition is back on, almost as if they're just reconfirming their position with the Body Domain Controller.

OP
OP

S7CKY

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What I mean is that you can literally position the wipers wherever you want to......any position within their natural sweep!

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I’ve noticed it and worried the piss out of me when it happened.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
What I mean is that you can literally position the wipers wherever you want to......any position within their natural sweep!
Yeah I just checked mine, and I can do that too. I certainly wouldn't recommend doing it for no reason, but the rotary motor design allows that movement without damaging anything. Instead of the geared motors other systems use, the rotary is like a fan motor, which can be turned manually without harm.

OP
OP

S7CKY

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah I just checked mine, and I can do that too. I certainly wouldn't recommend doing it for no reason, but the rotary motor design allows that movement without damaging anything. Instead of the geared motors other systems use, the rotary is like a fan motor, which can be turned manually without harm.
Thanks for this I was beginning to get a little concerned. No I wouldn't recommend doing this either. I just found it by accident. Cheers.
Sponsored