winter tyre advice

edz_supra

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra GR Pro
Getting colder here and intending to rum my Supra all through winter so looking for some advice. Really like my wheels so am concerned about local tyre fitters when they put winters on at the same size, even assuming i can find both sizes in the same make, so thinking of going down to 18s for a set of winters. Any advice on this? I assume sizes would be F 255/40R18 and R 275/40R18? Or any issues with running a square setup for the winters?

Lots of nice wheels on here are US-spec so really expensive when imported to UK but keen to sort something that looks good for 5+ months of the year.
Sponsored

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AW A90
I will be going to a 18" square setup with 18x9's and most likely a 245/40/18 so it's not super wide for snow etc.

kiroshino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 WRX STI
I just ordered my winter set this morning. Will have a better idea if they work well when they arrive in a couple weeks.

Going with non-staggered 18x9 +35's wrapped in 255/40/18. The plan is to install 10mm spacers in front and 15mm spacers in rear to push them out 7mm all around compared to stock.

Another option I had considered were 18x8's in 225/45/18. However, I don't typically drive in the snow/slush, so I figured the wider setup would be okay for me.

2020 USDM Stock specs for reference
Front: 19x9 +32 in 255/35/19
Rear: 19x10 +40 in 275/35/19

OP
OP
edz_supra

edz_supra

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra GR Pro
Thanks all - unlikely to be a lot of snow here (famous last words) but we'll see.

Fyi my UK spec car has the same specs as quoted above.

Will running a sqaure set up cause any other issues?

OP
OP
edz_supra

edz_supra

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra GR Pro
So after a bit of a tail to get my Winters, my Supra has been detailed and Ceramic coated with Titan coating. Really pleased she looks great and drives much better on these tyres for the colder weather.

Only got these two photos for now will do better next time i'm out.

Attachments

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Did you get spacers or is that higher offset wheel? Or my eyes are off :)

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
So after a bit of a tail to get my Winters, my Supra has been detailed and Ceramic coated with Titan coating. Really pleased she looks great and drives much better on these tyres for the colder weather.

Only got these two photos for now will do better next time i'm out.
Dang, those wheels look great. Nice countryside pic. Too. In other UK pictures Iā€™ve seen itā€™s nothing but hedgerows blocking your view.

Wish the US spec plates were narrow and low profile like yours. Ours are huge!

THOOPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20' C43 AMG, 18' Model S, 21' STI, 23' Supra
Getting colder here and intending to rum my Supra all through winter so looking for some advice. Really like my wheels so am concerned about local tyre fitters when they put winters on at the same size, even assuming i can find both sizes in the same make, so thinking of going down to 18s for a set of winters. Any advice on this? I assume sizes would be F 255/40R18 and R 275/40R18? Or any issues with running a square setup for the winters?

Lots of nice wheels on here are US-spec so really expensive when imported to UK but keen to sort something that looks good for 5+ months of the year.
What did you end up running for the winter tire set up?