Race Tracking Your Supra - Information exchange

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I just got out my Longacre camber/caster tool prior to installing camber plates and got weird readings. I did not have the car lvl just in the garage and no weight in the car but measured -2.6 driver front and rear and -1.5 passenger front and rear. Repeated multiple times. Could the difference really just be suspension compression or uneven ground? Not really what I expected.
Have you checked to see how flat or not your garage floor is?
Sponsored

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
I just got out my Longacre camber/caster tool prior to installing camber plates and got weird readings. I did not have the car lvl just in the garage and no weight in the car but measured -2.6 driver front and rear and -1.5 passenger front and rear. Repeated multiple times. Could the difference really just be suspension compression or uneven ground? Not really what I expected.
It's very possible. The surface you're using as a reference must be flat and level. I'm really lucky that the people that built my garage took care to ensure my floor was both so I can use my hub stands.

Eyelise

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Lotus Elise, 2023 Supra
Have you checked to see how flat or not your garage floor is?
No as I stated the car was not lvl'd but that is a huge difference and my garage floor is not that far off.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Since this was my first time with this error, the ONLY difference is that I STARTED with the PSI that I ended with, last track day. I usually start at 30psi and air down by my last and final session. This time I started off around 24-25psi, which is below threshold, yes? Could that be why I suddenly had a problem?

24psi is the lower bound on what the car will allow you to run. You need to do the relearn at that pressure and then it will not complain as long as you don't go below that. If you do the learn at say 30psi and then drop them to 24 it will complain. Seems that is your issue.

That said... Good to know you can actually run without TPMS at all. I couldn't get a straight answer on that two years ago when I bought my drag pack. At the time the assumption was it would complain and you couldn't turn off traction control, etc..

Spettro11

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 Premium MT; (RIP to my '83 MkII)
So it has been quiet. Maybe this will get the conversations going. So for any of you who are still signing up for your first track days or you did your first one I am interested in what you would like to have structure or event wise so you all would do more than the free one. We had discussed in our region on getting a specific run group just for Toyota Supra and gr86. So it is not just standard HPDE1. That way we can get a community going on what everyone wants to do meaning, meaning could be more specific to the cars and instruction. Any thoughts or concerns that are holding you back.?
I got my 3.0 Premium MT less than a month ago, so I've just started looking into the free track day. I'm disappointed they expire after a year, because the ones near me are in the past or full the rest of this year. I would love to see a Supra/GR86 track day!! I noticed in the track day literature, they were more than mildly vague on what my regular insurance would cover while on track. They were crystal clear that damages caused by misuse and abuse were not covered, but not so forthcoming on other stuff. I am also curious what consumables I need to be concerned with after track exposure. It's not my intention 😆 to be on the track constantly, but I know the first one will make me want to do more, and the hard part will be convincing my hubby I'll be safe and won't have to buy tires, brakes, etc. every time I track the car. All I've done so far is autocross (in a Miata), so I'm solidly in the rookie category.

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
I got my 3.0 Premium MT less than a month ago, so I've just started looking into the free track day. I'm disappointed they expire after a year, because the ones near me are in the past or full the rest of this year. I would love to see a Supra/GR86 track day!! I noticed in the track day literature, they were more than mildly vague on what my regular insurance would cover while on track. They were crystal clear that damages caused by misuse and abuse were not covered, but not so forthcoming on other stuff. I am also curious what consumables I need to be concerned with after track exposure. It's not my intention 😆 to be on the track constantly, but I know the first one will make me want to do more, and the hard part will be convincing my hubby I'll be safe and won't have to buy tires, brakes, etc. every time I track the car. All I've done so far is autocross (in a Miata), so I'm solidly in the rookie category.
I can all but guarantee your insurance company will NOT cover any damage sustained during an HPDE.

You're going to want to purchase track insurance if you want the peace of mind.

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Forgot to register my free NASA day.

Only Nashville and Sebring remain. Sebring is 9 hours away. Nashville isn't possible due to having ROad atlanta the weekend before and Barber the weekend after. Thats too much traveling for me TBH.

Sebring is on 12/17, but my NASA expires on 11/20?

Joker328

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Red 3.0 Premium MT
Definitely going to want track day insurance for peace of mind. Regular insurance will not cover you. In terms of consumables, you could go stock if you aren't sure whether you will want to keep up with it. I would recommend upgrading pads and brake fluid though, especially if sessions will be longer than 20 mins. Stock tires will survive your first track day no problem, though they will get greasy the longer your session is. Lots of options to upgrade to if you get hooked.

frankenm

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91
Have anyone of you used JB4 on the track ???
Pointless on a stock car, system cannot support it properly and car will be slower, run hot and cause premature wear

With proper supporting mods it works as expected

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
24psi is the lower bound on what the car will allow you to run. You need to do the relearn at that pressure and then it will not complain as long as you don't go below that. If you do the learn at say 30psi and then drop them to 24 it will complain. Seems that is your issue.

That said... Good to know you can actually run without TPMS at all. I couldn't get a straight answer on that two years ago when I bought my drag pack. At the time the assumption was it would complain and you couldn't turn off traction control, etc..
Assuming that's where we change tire settings and click the button to re-read the pressures, then I've done that. It still gives me "expected psi" which is a problem because I'm not at it.

I can all but guarantee your insurance company will NOT cover any damage sustained during an HPDE.

You're going to want to purchase track insurance if you want the peace of mind.
My old policy stated "no timed or otherwise competitive events". Driving Education was covered. Maybe he'll get lucky.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Assuming that's where we change tire settings and click the button to re-read the pressures, then I've done that. It still gives me "expected psi" which is a problem because I'm not at it.

Bizarre.. I had two wheel setups and my car never cared if it was over the expected pressure, just if it was too far below expected or below 24. For both I did have the tire selection set to manual and 'other tire'. After that you go to tire settings and perform reset. If you have tire selection set to automatic that may be it.

Spettro11

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 Premium MT; (RIP to my '83 MkII)
Definitely going to want track day insurance for peace of mind. Regular insurance will not cover you. In terms of consumables, you could go stock if you aren't sure whether you will want to keep up with it. I would recommend upgrading pads and brake fluid though, especially if sessions will be longer than 20 mins. Stock tires will survive your first track day no problem, though they will get greasy the longer your session is. Lots of options to upgrade to if you get hooked.
Thanks @Joker328! All helpful info :thumbsup:

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Get ready for sticker shock. Insurance usually costs more than the actual track day price.

Yeah, single day events are the worst since Hagerty is the same price 1-3 days. Best bang for the buck if you do at least 6+ track days a year is an annual policy with Open Track. Especially if you have multiple cars and drivers.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Bizarre.. I had two wheel setups and my car never cared if it was over the expected pressure, just if it was too far below expected or below 24. For both I did have the tire selection set to manual and 'other tire'. After that you go to tire settings and perform reset. If you have tire selection set to automatic that may be it.
Mine gives an expected of 36 so I assume the minimum is in the 20s because 24 is where the car imploded.
As much as I love being able to monitor the pressures from in the car, TPMS is coming off.
Sponsored