Not open for further replies.

ginsuown

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Nissan 350z, 2007 Honda Civic
We already know the reception is going to be overwhelmingly positive :)
Who doesn't love a ~1400kg, ~380hp car with a stellar chassis?
With bolt-ons and a tune, this car will be even more of a weapon on the track.

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
The other day I went on a little mountain road in my 86 with a proto following... was able to speak with the drivers later... car is looking very good, MT version doesn't seem to be totally out of the question (no one would spill the beans but they don't say no either...) price-wise it won't be much more expensive than its rivals... power level around 350-380 but real figures may be higher...
So we get a cayman rival at a even higher price than the cayman? If I’m being truthful, if I’m going to be spending Porsche level pricing, I think I would go with the Porsche. Toyota’s NEEDS to undercut their rivals in pricing. Even if it’s not by much I believe they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they don’t.

86rebel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW
So we get a cayman rival at a even higher price than the cayman? If I’m being truthful, if I’m going to be spending Porsche level pricing, I think I would go with the Porsche. Toyota’s NEEDS to undercut their rivals in pricing. Even if it’s not by much I believe they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they don’t.
Here in spain a base cayman with 300hp and not a single option starts at 59.000€... (3k more if you want pdk.. ) the rough estimate of the supra is around that number but for the top 6 cyl trim... dont know about options but doubt it'd come bare... more than likely a single trim with a couple options a-la 86

I'd say its not bad for what you are getting....

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Here in spain a base cayman with 300hp and not a single option starts at 59.000€... (3k more if you want pdk.. ) the rough estimate of the supra is around that number but for the top 6 cyl trim... dont know about options but doubt it'd come bare... more than likely a single trim with a couple options a-la 86

I'd say its not bad for what you are getting....
I live in North Jersey and the Caymans around here are priced 80k new, and that is for the s and the base. Those options are insane on the car to cause mark ups. If I want a Cayman, I would have to special order one and wait to get q cheap version.

If the Supra cost the same as the base cayman s with top trim amenities, don't see the loss here

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
No way lol

60k sounds like the sweet spot to be for the top trim. If they price it at 80k you are opening the door to so many other options!! Porsche can do it because they have the track record....and well....they are Porsche. I've said it before, but the Supra has a name in the "tuning / car person" world. Porsche has a name in "everyone and their mom" world.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No way lol

60k sounds like the sweet spot to be for the top trim. If they price it at 80k you are opening the door to so many other options!! Porsche can do it because they have the track record....and well....they are Porsche. I've said it before, but the Supra has a name in the "tuning / car person" world. Porsche has a name in "everyone and their mom" world.
The Cayman suppose to start at 57k and 67k for the S version, but go on the site and start adding options like seats, infotainment, tires, headlights and that's how we get 90k more or less.

That's why if we get all the gadgets and tech at 55-63k, that's a steal.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
If Toyota offers stand alone options that ring the car up even into the 70s it’ll be a disaster.

First off dealing with a Toyota dealer sucks.. secondly they won’t know how to deal with a buyer in this class of cars. Even though the sequoias and LCs are in this price range it’s a different class of vehicles. I can see many people get turned off and get their Porsche and not having to deal with silly Toyota dealers who treat everyone like a Corolla buyer.

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
I'm sure Toyota will have just one or two trim levels, with some small add ons. It wont be optioned like a Porsche is.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If Toyota offers stand alone options that ring the car up even into the 70s it’ll be a disaster.

First off dealing with a Toyota dealer sucks.. secondly they won’t know how to deal with a buyer in this class of cars. Even though the sequoias and LCs are in this price range it’s a different class of vehicles. I can see many people get turned off and get their Porsche and not having to deal with silly Toyota dealers who treat everyone like a Corolla buyer.
Don't see how Toyota can add stand alone options, that isn't their way. Maybe some little accessories and gadgets, but nothing hiking it up 15k. Unless it's a mod and tune from the factory :)

From the one good Toyota Dealership I went to, they told me when the car nears release, employees receive instruction videos to understand the car and how to market it. I'm sure only the top salesman of the dealerships will be given rights to speak with the customers due to the unique nature of the vehicle.

They have to know how to handle casuals who like how the car looks and knows nothing else and also the gearhead who knows what is under the hood, the race time and the specs. For the latter, it's about getting them in the finance office ASAP.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
for anyone curious as to why it says Toyota, the badge under that camo isn't the Ellipses :)

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ just hoping that doesn't mean the Supra in a new camouflage color

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
This whole strategy in driving it before seeing it only means one thing...

Hey it drives better than it looks.. so don’t dismiss the car simply based on looks (doesn’t say much for its looks though)

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Hey it drives better than it looks.. so don’t dismiss the car simply based on looks (doesn’t say much for its looks though)
Or, get feedback from journalists who can write either positive or negative things and see if they can make the tweaks right before release. Also, that means car is close to production ready and the performance shouldn't change outside of tires or suspension tuning.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300

You do know it’s common practice for the press to sample prototypes in camo. The same was done for many other cars like the GS, LC, M5, Z4, and etc.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.