šŸ‘£ Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Itā€™s made by Friedrichshafen specifically for BMWs. I assume they will use them since they used the 8HP51.

Idk and no one else does either. Iā€™ll be denying it until they officially release it.
Made by ZF who is in Friedrichshafen off Lake Konstanz.

This is the current manual they produce - https://www.zf.com/products/en/cars/products_29131.html

Assuming this is the gearbox that will be used. No specifics are available on what Toyota have chosen if true. Given the reliance on BMW for major assemblies so far one would think it would be made available from a BMW supplier. We shall see. I would not buy the manual if offered.

After DCT on my M2, this ZF8 in my M235i and the recently sold 440, quite pleased with the driving experience so far.
Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
It just doesnā€™t make sense. BMW makes the entire car. They would make the trans. And they wouldnā€™t call it a Ā« Supra Ā» trans
Itā€™s not made in a BMW plant, itā€™s made by a third party in Austria. Iā€™m guessing the manual gearbox is not made by BMW directly either but by a third party supplier.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Itā€™s not made in a BMW plant, itā€™s made by a third party in Austria. Iā€™m guessing the manual gearbox is not made by BMW directly either but by a third party supplier.
I responded to a very similar comment above ^

bigcat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
For the 2.0 B48 engine model, possible.
BMW has manual gear box for it e.g. Mini Cooper.

But it sells like sh*t compare to the model with ZF.

Jammon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, BRZ, MGB, Triumph TR3, AH 100-4,
I've purchased 3 Toyota's since 2018 and 2 of them were from the same salesman. He also owns a Supra as I do, but a 2021 not 2020.
He was at my place last week and we were talking about tuning and racing etc. I asked if he was going to tune once they could crack the ecu on his 21. So he told me he was actually thinking about selling his already. Before I could ask why, he told me Toyota is coming out with a manual Supra next year. I was like, what, really ? and he said yes. It's not public yet but it looks like it will be happening soon.
I think that's great news ! There's a lot of people who would prefer manual or have purchased something else instead so they could have a manual. I at least think there should be the option.
I drove manuals for years when I was younger and I actually just bought a 2021 Tacoma 6 speed manual.

So my question is, would you buy a manual Supra and or trade, sell your existing Supra for a manual ?
NO

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner
For the 2.0 B48 engine model, possible.
BMW has manual gear box for it e.g. Mini Cooper.

But it sells like sh*t compare to the model with ZF.
If they offer the supra in a manual with the 6 cylinder version, I think it will sell very well. The M2 is more of a direct competitor to the supra than the z4 (even though they're the same platform) and the manual take rate on the M2 is over 50% in the US.

Personally I'm one of those waiting for the manual before I decide on a used M2 or Supra.

Exia

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 M7 Corvette Z06, 2022 M3 Competition xDrive
For me a manual Supra just makes sense, I have no idea why Toyota decided not to offer it but if I had to guess it probably has to do with the join venture with BMW (i.e. money). They obviously didn't want to spend a lot of money and so decided to go with one transmission much the same way the Corvette is only automatic, making multiple transmissions is costly.

However I think this is a big mistake, the Supra to me is one of very few cars that I believe needs a manual offered. Most cars have automatics as a very high take rate vs manual for the obvious reasons but some cars don't, some even have manuals as the higher take rate (WRX anyone?). To me the Supra is similar to the WRX in that its just one of those cars that needs a manual, its part of the legacy and if that leak up above is true then I think time will tell if the Supra needed the manual.

It shouldn't be to hard to see the take rate for the remainder of the Supra lifecycle between automatic and manual and the total sales of the Supra if a manual is released. I have a feeling the numbers will support that a manual should've been offered from day one but then again I'm just some dude on the internet, however I'll be one of those lining up for a manual even if its the same one from the M2/M3/M4.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
For me a manual Supra just makes sense, I have no idea why Toyota decided not to offer it but if I had to guess it probably has to do with the join venture with BMW (i.e. money). They obviously didn't want to spend a lot of money and so decided to go with one transmission much the same way the Corvette is only automatic, making multiple transmissions is costly.

However I think this is a big mistake, the Supra to me is one of very few cars that I believe needs a manual offered. Most cars have automatics as a very high take rate vs manual for the obvious reasons but some cars don't, some even have manuals as the higher take rate (WRX anyone?). To me the Supra is similar to the WRX in that its just one of those cars that needs a manual, its part of the legacy and if that leak up above is true then I think time will tell if the Supra needed the manual.

It shouldn't be to hard to see the take rate for the remainder of the Supra lifecycle between automatic and manual and the total sales of the Supra if a manual is released. I have a feeling the numbers will support that a manual should've been offered from day one but then again I'm just some dude on the internet, however I'll be one of those lining up for a manual even if its the same one from the M2/M3/M4.
Well to be fair the CVT in the WRX is pretty poor compared to the ZF in the Supra, but I do agree with you that I think there would be a good market for a manual Supra. But it is surprising that about 70-80% of Toyota FR-S/86 sales are automatics and not manuals (while the BRZ is the opposite and it's about 70-80% manual sales). I wonder if Toyota weighed this when the offered the Supra due to the high automatic sales of the 86?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
very high take rate vs manual for the obvious reasons but some cars don't, some even have manuals as the higher take rate (WRX anyone?)
You keep saying 'take rate', but I don't think that means what you think it means.

In any case, as has been mentioned several times in this thread. The auto ZF is faster, and that's really all that matters.

vbb

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Corvette Stingray Z51; 2020 Tundra TRD Pro
I'd line up for a manual Supra, its the only thing holding me back from one. I doubt I'm the only one on the fence or who likes the Supra but has avoided it due to the automatic.

Considering the amount of Supra sales I think the people who want an automatic have probably bought one and in the current sea of new performance cars offering a manual is a good way to bring back the hype for the car, even better if they offer the detuned S58 from the M3 with a manual. I'd buy an S58 manual Supra in a heartbeat, hopefully the shifter looks better then the one in the BMW.
I joined this forum today to agree with this post. And judging from the car in your avatar, we have similar tastes.

I've owned over a dozen different sports cars over the years, but as a child of the 90s, I've always liked the Japanese car scene. I've had modded S2000s and Acuras, and they have all been manual. I went to the German car side and had Porsches and BMWs, but I've always preferred the Japanese tuner car look even though there's no arguing that the 911 is of a higher tier. I also had an ISF and then an RCF for awhile, but of course, no manual. When the Supra was announced I was excited, until I found it was ZF only. Because manual wasn't an option, I ended up getting my C7 Corvette. Yes, I know the ZF is faster than a manual would be, but that's not the point. Teslas are faster than just about everything on the road, but most car enthusiasts I know don't care. I'd happily sacrifice a couple tenths in the quarter-mile for the engagement of a car with a clutch pedal.

The Corvette is a fantastic car...the V8 sound and torque is great. But it's just not "me" like the Supra would be, so if they release a manual transmission for it, I'll get in line for one in black.

Last edited:

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I joined this forum today to agree with this post. And judging from the car in your avatar, we have similar tastes.

I've owned over a dozen different sports cars over the years, but as a child of the 90s, I've always liked the Japanese car scene. I've had modded S2000s and Acuras, and they have all been manual. I went to the German car side and had Porsches and BMWs, but I've always preferred the Japanese tuner car look even though there's no arguing that the 911 is of a higher tier. I also had an ISF and then an RCF for awhile, but of course, no manual. When the Supra was announced I was excited, until I found it was ZF only. Because manual wasn't an option, I ended up getting my C7 Corvette. Yes, I know the ZF is faster than a manual would be, but that's not the point. Teslas are faster than just about everything on the road, but most car enthusiasts I know don't care. I'd happily sacrifice a couple tenths in the quarter-mile for the engagement of a car with a clutch pedal.

The Corvette is a fantastic car...the V8 sound and torque is great. But it's just not "me" like the Supra would be, so if they release a manual transmission for it, I'll get in line for one in black.
Even though I would not sell my ZF Supra for a manual this is why I hope Toyota offers one before the end of the MKV. There are lots of car enthusiasts like yourself out there that be great for the brand and would love this car (former C7 Z51 manual owner myself).

vbb

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Even though I would not sell my ZF Supra for a manual this is why I hope Toyota offers one before the end of the MKV. There are lots of car enthusiasts like yourself out there that be great for the brand and would love this car (former C7 Z51 manual owner myself).
Thanks. I totally understand why most car manufacturers are not bothering to develop manual transmissions anymore because the number of people who want them are dwindling. But, it wouldn't have been a huge stretch to put a manual in the A90. I surely hope the rumors turn out to be true and they finally do it.

What made you switch from the C7 to the Supra? I was just starting to consider it myself but figured I might as well wait to see what Toyota has planned for 2023.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks. I totally understand why most car manufacturers are not bothering to develop manual transmissions anymore because the number of people who want them are dwindling. But, it wouldn't have been a huge stretch to put a manual in the A90. I surely hope the rumors turn out to be true and they finally do it.

What made you switch from the C7 to the Supra? I was just starting to consider it myself but figured I might as well wait to see what Toyota has planned for 2023.
I had an investment opportunity come up and sold the C7 for more than I paid (I bought it used for 30% off MSRP when the car only had 1400 miles on it). I liked the car but I just didn't connect with it sometimes. Ended up buying a barely used GT350 that I also sold for more than I paid, and then a Camaro SS1LE (which I sold for more than I paid to buy the Supra).

Being honest I liked the handling, gearbox, etc of the Camaro more than the C7 and GT350 but I never liked the overall package of the car. I was a JDM guy almost my whole life and something about the Supra just pulled me in. I love the whole package.

A Supra manual makes sense at this point in it's lifecycle. If you read the interviews with the chief engineer he wanted Supra to evolve over the years and attract new buyers. He said to expect some big changes. Just one year after release we saw the engine and suspension changes for 2021 (as well as the 4 cylinder). 2022 really was nothing big but we also had Covid. The rumors of a manual in 2023 make a lot of sense to me as it will attract a whole new interest in the Supra and keep the car fresh.

This has been Toyota's plan with this car since the beginning. I also would not be surprised to see a higher horsepower variant and a more track focused variant.

Befreiung

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra, GR Yaris
I have also heard the rumor that they will be releasing a manual with a different engine. I am happy with the auto Supra though. If I want a manual, I will drive the Yaris. Both cars are extremely enjoyable for different reasons and being able to choose each day which I want to take out is fun.

vbb

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I had an investment opportunity come up and sold the C7 for more than I paid (I bought it used for 30% off MSRP when the car only had 1400 miles on it). I liked the car but I just didn't connect with it sometimes. Ended up buying a barely used GT350 that I also sold for more than I paid, and then a Camaro SS1LE (which I sold for more than I paid to buy the Supra).

Being honest I liked the handling, gearbox, etc of the Camaro more than the C7 and GT350 but I never liked the overall package of the car. I was a JDM guy almost my whole life and something about the Supra just pulled me in. I love the whole package.

A Supra manual makes sense at this point in it's lifecycle. If you read the interviews with the chief engineer he wanted Supra to evolve over the years and attract new buyers. He said to expect some big changes. Just one year after release we saw the engine and suspension changes for 2021 (as well as the 4 cylinder). 2022 really was nothing big but we also had Covid. The rumors of a manual in 2023 make a lot of sense to me as it will attract a whole new interest in the Supra and keep the car fresh.

This has been Toyota's plan with this car since the beginning. I also would not be surprised to see a higher horsepower variant and a more track focused variant.
Interesting cycle of cars. I donā€™t want to hijack the thread, but I've been kind of all over the map with sports cars as well. I fall into that category where I dreamed of owning the higher powered Japanese tuner cars back in the 90s and early 2000s, but when I finally got to the point where I could afford them, they had either all gone away or become over $100k. And virtually none of them had a manual. I'm not really interested in an 86 or a Yaris...those would have been higher on the list for me 20 years ago, but the Supra hits the right notes for me. I think there are a lot of JDM car fans from the 90s and 00s that are willing buyers today, so if what you predict comes true, and the plan of Toyota was to delay the manual Supra release for a few years, then I'm definitely getting in line.

I take it you have no regrets about selling the C7, GT350 or Camaro?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.