2 months old... 1200 miles. Check engine light came on this morning!!

OP
OP

angrytoddler

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red LE Supra MKV, Toyota FJ Cruiser, Ford Explorer Sport
I went through this with the check engine light for the same issue. You need to do two things: shut the car off completely when refueling and turn the gas cap past the clicking noise till it stops when done.
Ok - I can give it a try. Weird this issue is popping up couple weeks after last refill. (Same issue as first time - check engine light came on couple hundred miles after tank fill) Last time the dealer could not determine where it was coming from. Said next time they would have to do a smoke test.
Sponsored

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Not sure why anyone wold wait for any type of service/diagnosis/repair. Especially on one of these cars. Just puts the dealer in a bind to get the car done as quickly as possible.
I usually wait for tire replacements.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
Say what you will. When I took the phone survey they asked if I had considered cars like the M2 Comp (I had). They want my business and the business of others like me. They have it (barely) for now, and would do well to listen to this new segment of customers theyā€™d like to retain.

Itā€™s not often that the loyalists to the German cars jump ship and buy Japanese.
I got the impression Toyota corporate has no fucking clue from the survey questions. Granted I was a bit drunk when I picked up, but there were no hard follow up questions to comments and what they did ask that was detailed would be the last questions Iā€™d be asking if I was Toyota. IMO this is some c-level bs ass-covering survey because things arenā€™t going as planned.

The lady must have been so confused that I was happy with most things but I said my opinion of Toyota is lower now.

Iā€™ve asked basic questions to Toyota and they told me to buy a license to their database.

Toyota left the dealers and technicians to fucking hang on this car. Thatā€™s why no techs want to touch it or can answer anything about it. They get to play whack a mole at some dubious warranty pay since even Toyota hasnā€™t a clue. Then they donā€™t have all the tools and backend support which makes it take longer. The other option is the technician can go fix a documented car with full support in half the time.

Maybe this will change in a year or two, but the dealerships need to make the investment as well. This means smaller dealerships are going to lag here u less Toyota puts their foot down and how often does that happen?

Supra Dupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV LE (Nocturnal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
I just got the check engine light this morning. I drove for about 5 hours yesterday to and from a meeting in Austin, and the light didn't come up until this morning when I got in my car to go to work (in Houston). I will say that when I got in the car and put it in "D"rive mode, it didn't move out of the spot immediately, which I thought was weird. I had to press on the gas to get it "unstuck" (not sure how else to describe it). I think that's when the light came on (it's not flashing - it's a steady yellowish orange color). The car drove fine to work, where I've been since, so I obviously haven't had time to look into this more or take it into the dealership for a diagnosis, but just thought I'd share this here. Just as a point of reference, I think I'm right around 4,000 miles on the car.

EDIT: I should also note that I refueled twice yesterday (once right before I left Houston and another time right before I got back), and I may have accidentally driven a couple of minutes with my gas cap open because during the second refueling the gas pumps at the gas station weren't working so I had to drive down the street to another gas station and it wasn't until I got there that I noticed that I'd forgotten to put my cap back on. So that may have something to do with it (although it's weird that it wouldn't come on until the next morning)... :p

Supra Dupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV LE (Nocturnal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
I just wanted to say that the check engine light on my dashboard went away after about a day, so I suspect that it had to do with me inadvertently leaving the gas cap open between the two gas stations as I mentioned above (I'm still trying to get used to a car that has a gas cap again...).

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hakone 86, '18 Tundra 4x4, '15 4Runner Trail
Vehicle Showcase
And thatā€™s how it is at the brands I mentioned. Like I said, Toyota wants the M2 Comp and Cayman buyers but they want to treat us like the 86 owners.
The M2 Comp is $10K more than a Supra. I can buy my own Cheetos and water. ;)

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
The M2 Comp is $10K more than a Supra. I can buy my own Cheetos and water. ;)
Me too... well, the water at least - I hate Cheetos. IME it's the general customer disregard and scummy up-sell attempts that bother me with Toyota service vs Lexus/Porsche/Infiniti - even Nissan was better. However, that's a dealership problem... not the brand per se. All the other Toyota dealerships (which are much farther from my house, naturally :mad:) seem to be significantly better - they even have free water and coffee. LOL.

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hakone 86, '18 Tundra 4x4, '15 4Runner Trail
Vehicle Showcase
Me too... well, the water at least - I hate Cheetos. IME it's the general customer disregard and scummy up-sell attempts that bother me with Toyota service vs Lexus/Porsche/Infiniti - even Nissan was better. However, that's a dealership problem... not the brand per se. All the other Toyota dealerships (which are much farther from my house, naturally :mad:) seem to be significantly better - they even have free water and coffee. LOL.
...and the Z4 is like $15K more. I'm not excusing bad dealership experiences, that can be had with any make. In my case, excepting recalls/TSBs and "free" oil changes, I do my own service work. After I get the deal I'm happy with, I'm more concerned with the quality of the product and any warranty performance needed from the maker, than the dealership "experience". Whether the dealer is great, or terrible, they earn a honest Google rating from me. Honest ratings do, in general, help keep the experience better for us all, IMHO. The Toyota dealer nearest to me does offer coffee, water, and fresh popcorn, but with Toyota/Lexus, your not as likely to be spending much time there. Matter of fact, if there's no other reason to bring the car in, I'm likely to forego the free oil changes and do them myself to save time. Just save your receipts and keep a log. ;)

OP
OP

angrytoddler

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red LE Supra MKV, Toyota FJ Cruiser, Ford Explorer Sport
Well - The dealer still hasnt figured this one out. Goes back in tomorrow for the 5th time for the P0456. Starting to get annoying.
Sponsored