2020 Supra Firesale?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
But with a lawyer wife, you can get a new premium for $45.5k OTD. And that is in Texas, where usually OTD includes the 6.25% tax. With a lawyer wife you can get one for around $43k.

We have around 14 in my metro area. All the dealerships besides one, are trying to get msrp. They think msrp is a deal because they use to sell the car with addon. The one dealership though, is trying to sell them for $3.6k under msrp. They currently have 5 on lot. I've tried to explain that you can get one for $6-7k under msrp. Especially with that $1000 dealership rebate. But they don't want to budge.
Yeah I'll buy that when someone posts a bill of sale showing 43k out the door lol. Until then, it's just talk.
Sponsored

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
If you are wanting a firesale, wait a couple more months. The pandemic will probably provide lawyer wife pricing as no one will be buying new cars, especially niche enthusiast products.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I wonder if COVID delays the 2021 arrivals.

Iā€™m sure the factory could get them built, but they may need the breathing room at the dealer level to blow out the old 2020s.

Iā€™m trying to buy my lemon replacement (just walked out of the dealer BTW) and I canā€™t imagine anyone buying a car now. I live in a walkable neighborhood and I actually wonā€™t need a car as long as COVID cancellations are the rule of the day.

Who in their right mind is making that kind of purchase now (exception being to score a big deal)...

Kendogg

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R

Iā€™m sure the factory could get them built, but they may need the breathing room at the dealer level to blow out the old 2020s.

Iā€™m trying to buy my lemon replacement (just walked out of the dealer BTW) and I canā€™t imagine anyone buying a car now. I live in a walkable neighborhood and I actually wonā€™t need a car as long as COVID cancellations are the rule of the day.

Who in their right mind is making that kind of purchase now (exception being to score a big deal)...
Iā€™ll buy today for a lawyer wife deal.

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hakone 86, '18 Tundra 4x4, '15 4Runner Trail
Vehicle Showcase
Dealerships generally adjust pricing relative to how long a given unit has been in inventory. In Texas, dealers pay monthly inventory taxes on what they have on the lot. When a car has been on the lot for 90 days, motivation to move it usually comes up. With so much economic fallout around the latest flu virus panic, it's an opportunity to drop prices AND "save face", as the panic can be seen as the reason for decreased demand, rather than the car itself. Hopefully, production will be scaled according to demand, not flu panic. Bargain hunt a '20, get a '21 on release, or wait until after the '21 model year demand bump (however small it may be)-all winning options for Supra buyers. :)

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I would buy a '21 tomorrow at 5%+ below list. Trading in my '18 LC500 would work out to a lateral move on our personal balance sheet. Business is good at our Houston small animal vet clinic. Not everyone is running down to stand in a 3 hour line to panic buy all the toilet paper and bottled water. Last I checked, there were ~40 deaths and 1600 known cases of the new flu strain in the US, and I'm not sure that mortality rate is far out of line with that of known flu strains, or pneumonia, depending on what age group you look at. We have stepped up hygiene protocols, and take the economic fallout seriously, of course. More is learned about the new virus daily, and hopefully the media will quit fanning the flames of panic sooner than later. We'll see how all this affects Supra pricing, but I'm betting prices will continue to fall as inventory ages. If Toyota cuts production, that's a different story...

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I would buy a '21 tomorrow at 5%+ below list. Trading in my '18 LC500 would work out to a lateral move on our personal balance sheet. Business is good at our Houston small animal vet clinic. Not everyone is running down to stand in a 3 hour line to panic buy all the toilet paper and bottled water. Last I checked, there were ~40 deaths and 1600 known cases of the new flu strain in the US, and I'm not sure that mortality rate is far out of line with that of known flu strains, or pneumonia, depending on what age group you look at. We have stepped up hygiene protocols, and take the economic fallout seriously, of course. More is learned about the new virus daily, and hopefully the media will quit fanning the flames of panic sooner than later. We'll see how all this affects Supra pricing, but I'm betting prices will continue to fall as inventory ages. If Toyota cuts production, that's a different story...
If Toyota cuts production, there's 1600 2020's for sale, most well below sticker. But I doubt very much that will happen. Like i said in another thread, Austria, where the car is built, only has 1 fatality so far. We don't know how many months of parts they have ready to go. The only thing that's different is the engine and some suspension components. The only thing that I see delayed, is shipping. Maybe. Way too early to tell. China is already on the mend, which means Europe will be too. And then it's business as usual. If there's enough supply of parts in Austria until that happens, production won't even be impacted. There's so many variables we don't know, it's impossible to tell.

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If Toyota cuts production, there's 1600 2020's for sale, most well below sticker. But I doubt very much that will happen. Like i said in another thread, Austria, where the car is built, only has 1 fatality so far. We don't know how many months of parts they have ready to go. The only thing that's different is the engine and some suspension components. The only thing that I see delayed, is shipping. Maybe. Way too early to tell. China is already on the mend, which means Europe will be too. And then it's business as usual. If there's enough supply of parts in Austria until that happens, production won't even be impacted. There's so many variables we don't know, it's impossible to tell.
In any case, it's not likely that corona will increase demand for the car. I think we'll see sales come up some when the '21s land, then prices will gradually taper down again. In time, the car will prove itself against the competition, or not. The effects of internet hype are just as real as value in driving car sales...and important aspects like reliability, resale, and warranty performance are rarely mentioned in YT videos...My hope is that the Supra will surpass BMW in all aspects. Time will tell...

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
In any case, it's not likely that corona will increase demand for the car. I think we'll see sales come up some when the '21s land, then prices will gradually taper down again. In time, the car will prove itself against the competition, or not. The effects of internet hype are just as real as value in driving car sales...and important aspects like reliability, resale, and warranty performance are rarely mentioned in YT videos...My hope is that the Supra will surpass BMW in all aspects. Time will tell...
Yeah exactly. If you want to buy a car with excellent resale value, buy a Wrangler or an STI. I'd stay far away from this. This is going to drop like a stone. Especially the '20s. In a few years when someone is looking for a used one, the first thing they'll check if it's the 335 or 382 horsepower version, followed immediately by if it has the driver sensors equipped. Without either, prices will sink faster than the Titanic. This is not a car I'm buying as an investment because it just isn't.

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah exactly. If you want to buy a car with excellent resale value, buy a Wrangler or an STI. I'd stay far away from this. This is going to drop like a stone. Especially the '20s. In a few years when someone is looking for a used one, the first thing they'll check if it's the 335 or 382 horsepower version, followed immediately by if it has the driver sensors equipped. Without either, prices will sink faster than the Titanic. This is not a car I'm buying as an investment because it just isn't.
Yeah, I've never considered any car I've bought an investment, though I did sell my '08 S2000CR for more than I paid for it, after Honda dropped the car. If the Supra continues to perform well, and Toyota keeps owners happy, there's no reason the car should have BMW depreciation levels, long term. First adopters usually pay a price to have a car sooner. Nothing new there. Most cars depreciate, and there's always something better on the horizon. Maybe the key to happiness is being satisfied and grateful for what you have. It's a good time to be a sports car enthusiast. ;)

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
What is the driver sensor?

The only car I bought, and still have, that went up in value is the FJ Cruiser. Mine has low miles, looks great and drives like newly broken in. But I didn't buy it as in investment, who does that unless a classic, but I lucked out, I guess. lol

angrytoddler

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red LE Supra MKV, Toyota FJ Cruiser, Ford Explorer Sport
What is the driver sensor?

The only car I bought, and still have, that went up in value is the FJ Cruiser. Mine has low miles, looks great and drives like newly broken in. But I didn't buy it as in investment, who does that unless a classic, but I lucked out, I guess. lol
Fj Cruiser here too...

Mine hasnt gone up in value technically.... But I paid 27.5 for it and could get at least 18k or so. Considering I've had it almost 10 years.... That's pretty awesome.
Sponsored