2020 Supra prototype at Goodwood Festival of Speed (photos/videos)

Will fake vents stop you from buying the new Supra?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrarm

First Name
Franck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I wasn't talking about cost of the block, I was saying that the fact that the Nissan Z has an aluminum block vs the BMW iron block doesn't mean anything. Actually, it does....if you ask any reputable tuner shop, they will tell you the BMW cast iron blocks are more susceptible to flexing and cylinder warping than an well engineered aluminum block. My point about the R35 GTR is that it has the same basic architecture in it's VR38 motor to a VQ37 in a Z....and the GTR and Z have absolutely no problems handling high boost. Can't say the same about the BMW iron blocks....remember the MKV will NOT have a JZ series engine. There is a difference between a Toyota straight six, and BMW straight six:

The N54/55 uses cast iron cylinder sleeve, but B58 is different: it uses one latest technology called “Electric Arc Wire Spraying”. This is a type of the ferrum plasma spray method, which creates a thin layer (0.3 mm thick) of iron on the cylinder wall surface and thus eliminates the need for using the cylinder sleeves. The ultimate goal is to save weight. For your reference: plasma spray is an exotic technique previously (for example GT-R, LFA etc.), however nowadays its cost is lowered so significantly that even Ford uses it in the EcoBoost engine family.
BMW_LDS-616x420.jpg

There are three main advantages (that I can think of) for a only cast iron block over an aluminum one:

Dimensional Stability: Aluminum grows more during the heating process than does iron. Extra precautions must therefore be built into aluminum blocks so as counteract this condition and prevent issues.

No Cylinder Liners: If you ever want to rebuild an aluminum block where the cylinder liners are toast, they must be replaced. This is a large machining expense in comparison to having to just bore the cylinders in a cast iron block.

Cost: Cast iron has been used in industry for many years and is fairly easy to produce. Aluminum, on the other hand, costs a lot more to refine from bauxite ore. Just in materials alone, the cost is greater. Then look at the cost for the cylinder liners and special casting processes which must be employed to get the aluminum block correct and the cost goes even higher. There is some trade-off, however, in the heating process (doesn't take as much energy to melt aluminum v. cast iron), and aluminum is easier to machine (less wear on the machine tooling/fixtures v. cast iron).

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Yep, all spot on.

Aluminium alloys are less resistant to long period of heat cycles when compared to steel also.

Ultimately too, in a pure strength vs area argument, steel will be stronger.

There's a lot of alloy engines now that are being tuned to make lots of power. A 2JZ from 1993 however can often take 25psi on its bottom end without raising a sweat.

That said, it's iron Nissan counterpart cannot.

The Benz M117.965 is an all alloy engine that can also be crammed full of boost...

Go figure. When you have a main cap of a fairly constant size, ultimate longevity over many many years with high cycles of heat and pressure, iron is probably a cheaper fix rather than a fancy aluminium design

Just a few more things to consider and I like talking Tech junk.

mrarm

First Name
Franck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yep, all spot on.

Aluminium alloys are less resistant to long period of heat cycles when compared to steel also.

Ultimately too, in a pure strength vs area argument, steel will be stronger.

There's a lot of alloy engines now that are being tuned to make lots of power. A 2JZ from 1993 however can often take 25psi on its bottom end without raising a sweat.

That said, it's iron Nissan counterpart cannot.

The Benz M117.965 is an all alloy engine that can also be crammed full of boost...

Go figure. When you have a main cap of a fairly constant size, ultimate longevity over many many years with high cycles of heat and pressure, iron is probably a cheaper fix rather than a fancy aluminium design

Just a few more things to consider and I like talking Tech junk.
Bmw not developed new engine. Only adapt exiting parts for reduce development cost…

For me there are 3 options:

1) Used 2jz block and adapt all components part “head cylinders” issue to B58

2) Used B58 engine

3) Used M57 block with all components “head cylinders” part issue to B58

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
New B58 based block with modified B58 components. It is always cheaper and easier (if the base is not too bad to start with) to modify and improve than the build from scratch. Most new engines are (except 1LR for example) are made based on combinations and improvements of previous engines. But this does not only go for engines, but almost all other things also.

mrarm

First Name
Franck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
New B58 based block with modified B58 components. It is always cheaper and easier (if the base is not too bad to start with) to modify and improve than the build from scratch. Most new engines are (except 1LR for example) are made based on combinations and improvements of previous engines. But this does not only go for engines, but almost all other things also.
I hope isn’t 58 based block with a thin layer (0.3 mm thick) of iron on the cylinder wall surface.
Please no Cylinder Liners: If you ever want to rebuild an aluminum block where the cylinder liners are toast, they must be replaced. This is a large machining expense in comparison to having to just bore the cylinders in a cast iron block.
:banghead:

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know if it will have an active wing?
Yes.. active front splitter and rear wing. At about 88mph it’ll come out and the car will be airborne.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm 99% certain that if Toyota had made a semi carbon bodied Mk4 with a 450hp D4-S 2JZ-GTE with an updated interior, ppl would still find things to moan incessantly about.
I don't really care until it is driven.
I am still wondering if since this is only the third prototype made as guff decoded,, is there any chance the final arrangements and setup is actually vastly different than what was driven?

mrarm

First Name
Franck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm 99% certain that if Toyota had made a semi carbon bodied Mk4 with a 450hp D4-S 2JZ-GTE with an updated interior, ppl would still find things to moan incessantly about.
:popcorn: Only 450hp with D4-S 2JZ-GTE :rofl:

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Very true.. but the enthusiast will be happy with that.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Can’t clearly see if the fender vent is functional or not but the other vents are all fake. :(
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.