2020 Toyota Supra A90 prototype will debut and run at Goodwood Festival of Speed this week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not allowed to comment on the trim/options, and even if I was they are still in the air as that falls outside engineering for the most part.

For me personally, if the SZ-R is 6cyl @ 3070lbs, then the weight alone will sell me honestly. As I get older I have realized how unbelievably important it is to start as light as possible in a sports/track car.

Drivetrain, engine, body, and interior... ECU, suspension, tires, diff settings, etc will be tested continually.
On point about the weight of a vehicle out of the box. Driving/owning a NB Miata made me realize the beauty of balance.

Donā€™t kill me for this but.. while I totally get the balance aspect of the FRS, I sincerely think a 20% power bump would do wonders to that car.
Sponsored

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
We won't hear specs until SEMA? That was always my assumption
That's the correct assumption, at least based on whats been thrown out there :)

Nothing is for certain however.

On point about the weight of a vehicle out of the box. Driving/owning a NB Miata made me realize the beauty of balance.

Donā€™t kill me for this but.. while I totally get the balance aspect of the FRS, I sincerely think a 20% power bump would do wonders to that car.
Nah, I agree with that sentiment... The S13 Silvia had 86 power levels in the early 90s lol.

The car should have come with a motor producing 240-260hp (a la S15) IMO. There's a reason the s-chassis was such/is still such a winning combo in Japan, but I digress.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
That's the correct assumption, at least based on whats been thrown out there :)

Nothing is for certain however.

Nah, I agree with that sentiment... The S13 Silvia had 86 power levels in the early 90s lol.

The car should have come with a motor producing 240-260hp (a la S15) IMO. There's a reason the s-chassis was such/is still such a winning combo in Japan, but I digress.
How I wish there was a S15 in LHD.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
A unmolested S15 is a rare and beautiful sight here. There's a stunning blue one that lives around the corner from me on Work Meisters. Would add to garage in a heartbeat.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I mean EVERYONE... from kids with civics, to midlife crisis guys with Vettes, to the Porsche aficionados to Lambo and Ferrari guys. If Toyota delivers and is able to put out a sporty, easily tunable, light and reliable car... it will sell :nixon::beer:
Basically, your asking for a modern day MKIV Supra. :(

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I hope they time the thing up the hillclimb. We can benchmark it then. Regardless of mass, power etc... if the thing tears up there at a good pace, we can at least put some doubts to rest.

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
I hope they time the thing up the hillclimb. We can benchmark it then. Regardless of mass, power etc... if the thing tears up there at a good pace, we can at least put some doubts to rest.
Agreed, they have the perfect stage to build the hype.

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
They will definetly drive it:

"The road-going prototype will be on Hill duties throughout the event with chief engineer Tetsuya Tada and who Toyota calls ā€˜Master Driverā€™ Herwig Daenens at the wheel. The car will be wearing a red black and white disguise intended to pay homage to the recent win."

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I should have phrased it better.... I know it will be driving, but I hope they record a time and not just do another 'demonstration'

SupraStew85

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1985 Supra (1jz vvti swap incoming) 2004 V8 4Runner

I absolutely agree with you, having a close friend who owned a bone stock BRZ that slowly got upgraded one summer with fairly basic bolt ons, I drove the car stock and after each mod. It went from balanced and fun to absolutely mind boggling in short order. It wasn't anything insane just the usual "hotboi mod list": Full exhaust (uel header, mid pipe &catback), intake, flash tune, better and wider tires and wheels, & coilovers. The car eventually got dyno'ed, and it had around 210hp at the wheels (stock is around 170whp). And oh boy could you feel it, that power bump made the car come alive, imo the best way to reliably wake up an frs/brz without boosting and risking long term longevity. If the new supra feels anything like that i'd be thrilled.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Um is the forum's count down off?
Any confirmation on this? The livestream says it starts in 18 hours while the countdown on this page shows 11 hrs / 40+mins. I just want to make sure I have my popcorn ready ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.