2020 Toyota Supra A90 prototype will debut and run at Goodwood Festival of Speed this week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have never ridden in or drove anything beyond an original 6cyl mule (3000lbs)... I am now under a different division and have been for some time and as such have no access to the Supra.
Yeah, I'm aware but I guess I was going based off your past experience if lighter is the key for driver enjoyment above all. Wednesday can't come fast enough since it might make people jump he ship and go looking elsewhere or stay for the crazy ride...thanks for your input as always, made it fun logging in everyday for something new
Sponsored

formsracing

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3
I would be very surprised if any spec comes to 3000lbs.

It remains to be seen, however Iā€™m pretty convinced this will be around 3300lbs, with specs being close to the current M3/M4 in terms of engine output.

This would put performance right around in the current M3/M4 and base corvette category.

Which would also mean when the car does come out, it will be shortly out-classed by its competitors new gen models.

However, if it is around 60k, it would still be decent car for the money.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I would be very surprised if any spec comes to 3000lbs.

It remains to be seen, however Iā€™m pretty convinced this will be around 3300lbs, with specs being close to the current M3/M4 in terms of engine output.

This would put performance right around in the current M3/M4 and base corvette category.

Which would also mean when the car does come out, it will be shortly out-classed by its competitors new gen models.

However, if it is around 60k, it would still be decent car for the money.
What doesn't make sense is why the 3300 lb car is the top trim when it would make more sense to have the 3000 lb be the top trim.

That is, until Jeff made it clear that adding tires, brakes and other items to a more powerful version car would need to drastically add weight. There's also the potential of the engine block having a different metal increasing said weight as well.

There's no secret that this car is targeting the cayman and I find it strange to imagine a 3300 lb car or anything near that ballpark can compete with the cayman.

Now a SZ-R being a cayman s/GTS fighter and a RZ being a corvette fighter would be very pleasant and entertaining as it caters to two different markets with only one engine and layout and attracts different buyers and cut costs at the same time. A coupe with high HP and an insane amount of torque to match the performance of a Corvette Grand sport at 62k with almost all the features that go to almost 75k for said corvette would be telling of their direction. Not to mention staying at a lower weight,

We'll learn more on Wednesday.

SupraStew85

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1985 Supra (1jz vvti swap incoming) 2004 V8 4Runner
I don't know how many of you remember but there was whisperings of an adjustable ride height option being tested a few months back. obviously that wouldn't make up the 300lb difference but I feel as though "racey" options like this are the main reason the rz is going to weigh more. With the addition of power seats with a/c and heat, glass sunroof, fancy infotainment etc etc weight adds up quickly.

SupraStew85

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1985 Supra (1jz vvti swap incoming) 2004 V8 4Runner
My main question if the lighter car comes with the "weaker" aluminum block, would you rather be buying the heavier car with iron block ?

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Maybe not the Toyota badge itself, but the Supra badge surely warrants a nice price bump in their eyes.
Maybe in their eyes, but not in that of the vast majority of the Supra's potential customers. I suspect Toyota won't be arrogant or stupid enough to price themselves out of the market by pretending "Supra" = "Porsche" in terms of desirability.

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
What doesn't make sense is why the 3300 lb car is the top trim when it would make more sense to have the 3000 lb be the top trim.

That is, until Jeff made it clear that adding tires, brakes and other items to a more powerful version car would need to drastically add weight. There's also the potential of the engine block having a different metal increasing said weight as well.

There's no secret that this car is targeting the cayman and I find it strange to imagine a 3300 lb car or anything near that ballpark can compete with the cayman.

Now a SZ-R being a cayman s/GTS fighter and a RZ being a corvette fighter would be very pleasant and entertaining as it caters to two different markets with only one engine and layout and attracts different buyers and cut costs at the same time. A coupe with high HP and an insane amount of torque to match the performance of a Corvette Grand sport at 62k with almost all the features that go to almost 75k for said corvette would be telling of their direction. Not to mention staying at a lower weight,

We'll learn more on Wednesday.
I think the biggest current competitor to the Cayman is the BMW M2 whether you look at the old N55 powered version or the upcoming S55 powered version. Im not sure about the N55 version, but Im guessing it weighs close to 3200 - 3300 pounds and has roughly 360hp. Most reviews I have read and even head to heads I have seen between the two cars put them very very close in terms of "fun" and "driving experience". Ofcourse most of the reviews end with them choosing the Cayman.

My point is, 3300 lbs if set up correctly is very doable when going up against the cayman. Hell I think the upcoming M2 Competition with the S55 engine weighs even more than the M4 but still because of its shorter wheel base is still competing against the cayman with a more fun driving dynamic.

Maybe in their eyes, but not in that of the vast majority of the Supra's potential customers. I suspect Toyota won't be arrogant or stupid enough to price themselves out of the market by pretending "Supra" = "Porsche" in terms of desirability.
I agree that Toyota won't have the capability to charge astronomically higher prices just by using the Supra badge. A little higher? sure.

Unless you are a car person most people won't know what a Supra is, look at the Toyota badge, and shrug it off.

These same people also look at Porsche's and don't know the difference between a 911, Cayman, Boxster etc....but they look at the Porsche badge and they all say the same thing "ooo expensive"

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ I agree. That and the fact that Toyota has not had a serious sports car in almost 2 decades in the US. The sports car competition from all car manufactures has improved within these 2 decades.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.