2022 Supra tune // what are my options?

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra / 2019 Y61 Nissan Patrol
I have a couple of questions would appreciate if someone takes the time to answer them.

Soo basically been looking at exhausts, downpipe, intakes, and chargepipes all that I will be putting on the supra for now. As for the tune what are my options I know jb4 is one of them, seen someone install Dinan DINANTRONICS X I'm guessing its a piggyback but idk what that is. However I've seen a lot of venders talking about unlocking the ECU post 6/2020, visconti, femto, gtp motorsports. but idk what all of this means and why some prices are double if not triple others. Also what is cloning and why do people get ecu's pre 6/2020 and mention cloning and donor ecu's. if someone can explain the gist of it I would apreciate it. What I'm looking for is custom tune as I dont fully trust jb4
Sponsored

Pizza

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mazda Rx-8, 2023 Nocturnal 3.0 Premium (MT)
Okay I'm by no means the guy to fully answer this but I can at least get you started until someone smarter than me gets in here.

Any Supras made after 06/2020 have a locked out ECU. Therefore the only way to tune it is to have a shop do a partial unlock, which will allow you to run tuning solutions like MHD or BM3, or you have to find a tunable ECU off of a corresponding BMW or older Supra and the shop will copy your cars ECU data onto the tunable ECU (cloning). After a clone you can run software like ECUTEK. The ONLY shop that can do this currently is FEMTO, which is located in Europe, so it's pretty pricey. Many other shops will send your ECU there for a price so you don't have to deal with the hassle (Visconti etc.)

JB4 and Dinatronics are piggyback units that basically tell your ECU to crank up the boost. I will say though that getting a custom map from @Jesse DaBears on a JB4 has been proven to get great hp numbers and tons of owners have one and I have yet to see anyone that has gotten issues from it.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Good summary^^

If you go directly to Femto for a basic unlock you can use tuning chips like BM3/MHD with most of their features. This service is only $600 plus shipping.

with a clone you can access all the features of ALL compatible tuning chips, including anti-lag, flex fuel, map-switching, etc.
This service is 200-300% more expensive including the cost of finding a good ecu donor.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Hey Brother, as someone who has done this process too many times, and tried a lot of the other solutions I would be happy to give my input if you have any questions and wanna reach out, (561) 236-6280.

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Okay I'm by no means the guy to fully answer this but I can at least get you started until someone smarter than me gets in here.

Any Supras made after 06/2020 have a locked out ECU. Therefore the only way to tune it is to have a shop do a partial unlock, which will allow you to run tuning solutions like MHD or BM3, or you have to find a tunable ECU off of a corresponding BMW or older Supra and the shop will copy your cars ECU data onto the tunable ECU (cloning). After a clone you can run software like ECUTEK. The ONLY shop that can do this currently is FEMTO, which is located in Europe, so it's pretty pricey. Many other shops will send your ECU there for a price so you don't have to deal with the hassle (Visconti etc.)

JB4 and Dinatronics are piggyback units that basically tell your ECU to crank up the boost. I will say though that getting a custom map from @Jesse DaBears on a JB4 has been proven to get great hp numbers and tons of owners have one and I have yet to see anyone that has gotten issues from it.
Good summary^^

If you go directly to Femto for a basic unlock you can use tuning chips like BM3/MHD with most of their features. This service is only $600 plus shipping.

with a clone you can access all the features of ALL compatible tuning chips, including anti-lag, flex fuel, map-switching, etc.
This service is 200-300% more expensive including the cost of finding a good ecu donor.
Good explanation totally understood the cloning and unlock parts. But is a partial unlock better than a jb4 or no? Also is femto the only provider of this service the partial unlock? I have seen a lot of people mention BM3/MHD but I still dont know how they work? Are they similar or one is better than the other?

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Good explanation totally understood the cloning and unlock parts. But is a partial unlock better than a jb4 or no? Also is femto the only provider of this service the partial unlock? I have seen a lot of people mention BM3/MHD but I still dont know how they work? Are they similar or one is better than the other?
partial unlock allows for full calibration rewrites. This means you can make big power and use the ecu itself to change timing boost and fueling.

the jb4 is a different animal. It tricks the ecu into thinking itā€™s making less boost and the ecu compensated by making more boost. Itā€™s very rudimentary and simple. Itā€™s like a ā€œpiggybackā€ computer messing with sensor data.

Femto is the ONLY company that does these partial unlocks and clones for the 062020+ ECUs. All of these American vendors offering the service just ship to them and charge a fee on top for combined services.

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
partial unlock allows for full calibration rewrites. This means you can make big power and use the ecu itself to change timing boost and fueling.

the jb4 is a different animal. It tricks the ecu into thinking itā€™s making less boost and the ecu compensated by making more boost. Itā€™s very rudimentary and simple. Itā€™s like a ā€œpiggybackā€ computer messing with sensor data.

Femto is the ONLY company that does these partial unlocks and clones for the 062020+ ECUs. All of these American vendors offering the service just ship to them and charge a fee on top for combined services.
Then a partial unlock would be perfect. As I still want this to be my daily. Since I'm not from america and these vendors are not around, if I want a partial unlock I would have to ship my ecu?

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
Side question, does a downpipe throw codes on a 2022 without a tuning solution or are you good to run a downpipe with no bypass of O2 sensing?

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Side question, does a downpipe throw codes on a 2022 without a tuning solution or are you good to run a downpipe with no bypass of O2 sensing?
A high quality catted downpipe wonā€™t throw a code, but catless always will unless you are tuned and can disable that sensor.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Then a partial unlock would be perfect. As I still want this to be my daily. Since I'm not from america and these vendors are not around, if I want a partial unlock I would have to ship my ecu?
Yes you would need to ship. Contact Femto directly @femtoevo on instagram or support email [email protected]

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
A high quality catted downpipe wonā€™t throw a code, but catless always will unless you are tuned and can disable that sensor.
Iā€™m primarily considering just for the sound. So what options are there in the group to not trip codes?

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Iā€™m primarily considering just for the sound. So what options are there in the group to not trip codes?
Anything with a high quality GESI cat will work. I personally have the AMS catted downpipe for the supra. You can basically tell by the price if it will work. Anything $1000+ you're safe :)

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Anything with a high quality GESI cat will work. I personally have the AMS catted downpipe for the supra. You can basically tell by the price if it will work. Anything $1000+ you're safe :)
any catless downpipe that wont throw CEL with an O2 censor fooler or idk what they're called lol

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
any catless downpipe that wont throw CEL with an O2 censor fooler or idk what they're called lol
Armytrix is the brand that makes a ā€œcat-simulatedā€ downpipe. Iā€™ve seen mixed reviews, and itā€™s too expensive for my taste. Got my catless downpipe for $90 on eBay lol

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
My Ecu is being cloned but my local tuner wants to do an MHD tune once my Ecu is cloned, but I hear people talking about Ecutek all the time, my question is, Iā€™m getting a pure850, adding a Catless downpipe, adding a charge pipe, mst v2 intake, adding a heat exchanger, would Ecutek be better for me or should I let my local tuner do the Mhd tune? And if Ecutek is better, who can do it for me on the east coast aside from Visconti
With those mods, MHD is fine. Whatever your tuner likes.

All of these systems just allow tuners access to the calibrations. It doesn't matter to the car.
Sponsored