News, Updates, and Discussions on next-gen A100 Supra

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Idk why this is getting so much attention. Itā€™s clearly just a rumor with no evidence at all.

If there was any evidence in the future that Toyota wasnā€™t happy, it doesnā€™t really matter. They are locked into a contract. Itā€™s a possibility that itā€™ll affect the GRMN edition (if thatā€™s even real to begin with) but hopefully they trash the idea of the GRMN all together

Bundy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra A90, 2021 Subaru Outback
There is probably not a single manufacturer putting money at developing a new IC engine at this point in time. Many have declared they will stop making IC engines all together around 2030, Volvo, Audi etc.

If there is a new generation Supra after this one it will be an electric one for sure.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
There is probably not a single manufacturer putting money at developing a new IC engine at this point in time. Many have declared they will stop making IC engines all together around 2030, Volvo, Audi etc.

If there is a new generation Supra after this one it will be an electric one for sure.

GM's LTx platform comes to mind, i.e., LT6

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I'm thrilled to see that others have noticed the somewhat eyebrow-raising coincidences regarding the engineering of new Mazda inline sixes, development (or even co-development) of a new RWD-biased platform, and the multi-billion dollar Mazda Toyota Manufacturing (MTM) plant being opened in Alabama.

Nobody has promised anything regarding future sports car co-production between the two, but we can dream, can't we?

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
Realistically the A100 will use the twin turbo hybrid V6 which is showcased in the new tundra. This is my theory. I also believe the next supra will be AWD, if it is hybrid. Toyotas Hybrid tech is second to none and if they use a performance version of their v6 TT then the next supra will greatly outperform the A90. Love my A90, have about 12k or so into the car so not knocking it at all but the future is changing fast.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Realistically the A100 will use the twin turbo hybrid V6 which is showcased in the new tundra. This is my theory. I also believe the next supra will be AWD, if it is hybrid. Toyotas Hybrid tech is second to none and if they use a performance version of their v6 TT then the next supra will greatly outperform the A90. Love my A90, have about 12k or so into the car so not knocking it at all but the future is changing fast.
Im with you on most of what you said, however, I know Toyota wants to keep the Supra with an inline engine. If they didnā€™t care about that, the MKV Supra would have been a V6TT from the beginning as their 3.5 already existed then. I believe they will use the Mazda straight six or possibly go all electric with the A100. If I were running Toyota, I would build the Supra alongside a similar Lexus F model. Keep costs down while making a pure Toyota product (i.e., Supra/SC300).

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
^^ Toyota is focused on the Supra being associated with a straight-six engine. Not a bad thing at all but for a couple of decades now the possibility of moving to a V6 has been facing them.

Even the chief engineer of the R34 Skyline its GT-R variant wanted to move to a V6TT back in the late 90ā€™s but senior management vetoed that (thankfully) and kept the RB in service.

The circumstances are very different now however since the new Toyota V6 TT engines *are* their prime 6cyl turbo high performance engines. And then we have the need for going to a hybrid and EV lineup.

I also feel that the possibility is strong that Toyota might co-develop an A100 with Mazda given the RWD/AWD platform and Mazda I6 hybrid + turbo engines.

The R&D and technology to do a full electric Supra will come but probably not soon enough to start development right now. the weight, packaging and hard use characteristics of current lithium-ion battery technology wouldnā€™t allow for a very good Supra (or any similar small sportscar) to be made with it.

That will become possible once Toyota perfects their solid state battery cell technology and has it ready to produce at scale. Thatā€™s at minimum 5-10 years from now for conventional vehicles let alone a high performance compact vehicle.

Then there is Toyotaā€™s position that while they want an all electrified lineup from MY2026 onward (with allowances for legacy models to finish out their production cycles) this, to them, primarily means hybrid-gas-electric plus a few 100% BEVs.

This would support either a hybrid version of their 3.5L V6 twin turbo if an A100 were to be developed all in house or it would support co-developing with Mazda who desperately want a spiritual successor to their RX-7 in the absence of a rotary engine powering the wheels directly.

That is, *IF* Toyota goes through with developing an A100... which they should.

As for Toyota doing an in-house A100 Supra and sharing its architecture with one or more other models such as with a new Lexus SC two-door sports coupe... I am all for that though Iā€™m somewhat biased being a first gen SC owner.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
The Mazda partnership makes sense but it certainly wonā€™t be for the A90. Likely with the next Supra/A100.
True, but ā€œifā€ there was ever a drastic move to get a new powertrain in the current chassis (highly unlikely) it would be one from Mazda or their V6TT. Honestly, their V6TT is very stout and considering its in the LandCruiser and Tundra, it probably can handle some serious power to move alot of weight.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
True, but ā€œifā€ there was ever a drastic move to get a new powertrain in the current chassis (highly unlikely) it would be one from Mazda or their V6TT. Honestly, their V6TT is very stout and considering its in the LandCruiser and Tundra, it probably can handle some serious power to move alot of weight.
https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=192

The V35A-FTS is very good indeed. I do wonder how well it does with the low-COG mounting that Toyota wants for all their high performance GR models. It has an open-deck block design but with iron cylinder liners. I think a conversion to closed deck would make it much stronger with the expectations that Supra owners have for their engines.

I cannot find the Nikkei article link any longer but I recall reading that the engine can go up to 29psi before there are any issues. I am not sure if that has to do with the stock configuration or something to do with the engine block design. It of course would preclude any engine builder getting their hands on one and installing far stronger pistons, rods, and other supporting parts.

However this is an interesting article regarding the tuning potential of the engine and its very new architecture (for Toyota) ECU:

https://vftuner.com/blogs/news/toyota-lexus-v35a-fts-twin-turbo-engine-can-it-be-tuned-yes

Again... no one truly knows what engine will power an A100 Supra or if there even will be an A100 Supra (though Toyota would be stupid not to make one).

Still, it shows the potential for their new V6TT engine which is already paying for itself in a range of Toyota and Lexus models.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Iā€˜ll believe the ā€œPorsche built MR2ā€ collaboration rumor before Toyota is dropping the BMW built Supra and building it themselves 100%.
Given their current track record and stated desire to co-develop nearly all their GR performance models I am inclined to agree with you.

But the Supra MKV contract for active production will end after model year 2026. Parts support will continue on for many, many years after that. Yet after MY2026 will we have an MKVI Supra without having to wait another 20 years for it to go on sale? That is the real question.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Yet after MY2026 will we have an MKVI Supra without having to wait another 20 years for it to go on sale? That is the real question.
MkV sales have already passed the MkIV sales, so we're more likely to see a faster followup from a pure sales perspective.

Lots of other factors though that can sway the course: will EVs become the "in" thing and force a rethink on strategy, will a rise in gas prices kill demand for sports cars like 08, etc etc

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MkV sales have already passed the MkIV sales, so we're more likely to see a faster followup from a pure sales perspective.

Lots of other factors though that can sway the course: will EVs become the "in" thing and force a rethink on strategy, will a rise in gas prices kill demand for sports cars like 08, etc etc
Have MKV sales already surpassed *all* MKIV sales in the U.S. from 1993-1998? Worldwide? If so that is impressive.

EVs are definitely going to become the prevalent thing. Currently lithiumā€”ion battery pack designs very much limit packaging to larger and heavier vehicles and there arenā€™t great examples of performance EVā€™s doing well for long on the track before they need recharging.

2035 is when most major countries in the world (except Japan I think) are gong to require no new internal combustion sales... so that is a roughly 13-year window within which to develop and market new hybrid-electric Supra. Really it is only an 8 year window from 2026 until 2034 within which such a hybrid A100 could be sold in almost all world markets including the U.S.

The safe technology that has no expiration date is full electric but Toyota is betting hard on solid state batteries and hydrogen fuel cells to achieve that and itā€™s not helping them in the short term. But getting solid state batteries right at long last will probably be much better for any of their sportscars (they could also help the sound-less issue by making drive gears closer to straight cut which would be cool).

Gas prices rising before all of that happens in 2035 is a very good point. I think itā€™ll fluctuate at the very least.

There will never be a lack of people who want fun to drive cars and sportscars both rich and of normal means.

But the gradual electric shift is a challenge for producing them and getting the formula right again.

I honestly donā€™t think getting the formula right again is really that hard. Itā€™s just that the preoccupation with reinventing the car and mobility is currently getting in the way.

An A100 as a hybrid-gas-turbo-electric is doable soon to develop if Toyota decides to. An A110 is where I have only vague guesses so far because the technology to do it right isnā€™t yet ready for prime time as of 2021.
Sponsored