News, Updates, and Discussions on next-gen A100 Supra

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Funny... I just read the exact same 'rumor' on FB from a buddy that works for Toyota. The comment was unprovoked..
Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Have MKV sales already surpassed *all* MKIV sales in the U.S. from 1993-1998? Worldwide? If so that is impressive.
I donā€™t have worldwide numbers but in North America yes the MK5 has already passed total MK4 sales. Keep in mind MK4 was a complete sales flop for Toyota, but by all indications the MK5 has done well.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Have MKV sales already surpassed *all* MKIV sales in the U.S. from 1993-1998? Worldwide? If so that is impressive.

EVs are definitely going to become the prevalent thing. Currently lithiumā€”ion battery pack designs very much limit packaging to larger and heavier vehicles and there arenā€™t great examples of performance EVā€™s doing well for long on the track before they need recharging.

2035 is when most major countries in the world (except Japan I think) are gong to require no new internal combustion sales... so that is a roughly 13-year window within which to develop and market new hybrid-electric Supra. Really it is only an 8 year window from 2026 until 2034 within which such a hybrid A100 could be sold in almost all world markets including the U.S.

The safe technology that has no expiration date is full electric but Toyota is betting hard on solid state batteries and hydrogen fuel cells to achieve that and itā€™s not helping them in the short term. But getting solid state batteries right at long last will probably be much better for any of their sportscars (they could also help the sound-less issue by making drive gears closer to straight cut which would be cool).

Gas prices rising before all of that happens in 2035 is a very good point. I think itā€™ll fluctuate at the very least.

There will never be a lack of people who want fun to drive cars and sportscars both rich and of normal means.

But the gradual electric shift is a challenge for producing them and getting the formula right again.

I honestly donā€™t think getting the formula right again is really that hard. Itā€™s just that the preoccupation with reinventing the car and mobility is currently getting in the way.

An A100 as a hybrid-gas-turbo-electric is doable soon to develop if Toyota decides to. An A110 is where I have only vague guesses so far because the technology to do it right isnā€™t yet ready for prime time as of 2021.
I used these sites for sales numbers: MkIV vs MkV.

I do hope Toyota's already invested resources into the next gen, so as to have as large a sales window as possible.

Agreed with you, hopefully there's some progress into solid state or hydrogen fuel cells. I'm not looking forward to hurling 2.5 ton cars around a track for 10 minutes and then need to wait hours to do it again.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I used these sites for sales numbers: MkIV vs MkV.

I do hope Toyota's already invested resources into the next gen, so as to have as large a sales window as possible.

Agreed with you, hopefully there's some progress into solid state or hydrogen fuel cells. I'm not looking forward to hurling 2.5 ton cars around a track for 10 minutes and then need to wait hours to do it again.
I see. I knew years ago that the MKIVā€™s took a very long time to sell. Toyota even discounted all Turbos by about $10,000 USD by 1996 or 1997 for the last two model years in the U.S. which barely helped.

To be fair, the 300ZX/TT, RX-7 FD, 240SX and MR-2/Turbo all had the same low sales issue at the time... which to this day is still frustrating considering how good all of those designs are (even though the 240SX was crippled from the start by its lack of the SR20DET engine).

I hope Toyota has invested in a next-gen Supra as well at this point. I still want the MKV to get its last couple of major updates and trim levels but I also want the model to survive into more generations.

The current limitations on the track, with recharging and with weight (and the possibility of thermal runaway from dendrites) are lithium-ion issues, not electric issues. The technology will get there and render those problems obsolete but itā€™s all in-progress R&D and challenges associated with getting new cell designs translated from prototype to reliable mass production at a large scale.

Right now the best bet for an A100 generation is as a gas-turbo-electric hybrid.... sold right up to the very cutoff date for new internal combustion sales.

The fully electric technology needed to make a truly good EV Supra isnā€™t ready yet. For any manufacturerā€™s pure sportscar (see Porscheā€™s position on holding off with a fully electric 911 for now). It will be but there are some years ahead of hard work to leapfrog lithium-ion.

That could be some form of solid state, sodium-ion / sodium-acetate, a super-capacitor breakthrough and it could simultaneously include a gradual buildout of hydrogen refueling stations.

Though I think the true drivers for hydrogen will be in the heavy trucking industry, cargo ships and other moderate to huge marine applications, aviation and in heavy construction machines. All types of vehicles where battery weight to support the needed horsepower and torque output wonā€™t work well as compared to cars and trucks.

I love Toyotaā€™s hydrogen internal combustion race car. I donā€™t know that it will take off outside of racing but thatā€™s certainly a cool niche alternative that nearly any car enthusiast can love.

10ICTXN

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 White
I doubt itā€™s true. For starters which engine would be sufficient in Toyotas current lineup?
From the Lexus website...

CLASS-LEADING V8
The potent 472-horsepower* 5.0-liter V8 is not only the largest naturally aspirated engine in its class,* itā€™s also the most powerful Lexus V8 ever. The RC F emits a throaty, specially tuned intake and exhaust note as it screams to its impressive 7,300-rpm redline.

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase

CLASS-LEADING V8
The potent 472-horsepower* 5.0-liter V8 is not only the largest naturally aspirated engine in its class,* itā€™s also the most powerful Lexus V8 ever. The RC F emits a throaty, specially tuned intake and exhaust note as it screams to its impressive 7,300-rpm redline.
Yeah no, the Lexus v8 is dead

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)

CLASS-LEADING V8
The 2URGSE is a good engine but the B58 is so much better. A simple flash tune and the B58 is about 500 lb/ft which is more than the V8 will ever make without forced induction.

The Aisin 8 speed is also ancient tech compared to the ZF. That drivetrain would be a complete downgrade IMO.

dapimpee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra

CLASS-LEADING V8
V8 engine is heavy

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
As long as BMW keeps giving inline engines to Toyota, the Supra will keep its 2026 course.

I would gladly take a Twin Turbo S58 in my Supra any day of the week.

-RJM

Last edited:

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Can you share why you say that, I don't know everything, thanks.
Here's the RC-F for example. It's heavy and outclassed by the BMWs and Mercs it competes with. provides some reasoning. You could also look at sales figures -- I'm fairly certain M3/4s outsell Lexus performance cars at least 2:1, if not more. Better competitors mean less sales, which is a usual warning sign of the incoming doom.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This all day long. I would be all over a Supra with the S58ā€¦.
If they remove the speed governor, this would be a beast on fast tracks, not that the current one isn't; the S58 could target the GT4 for sure.
Sponsored