News, Updates, and Discussions on next-gen A100 Supra

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
If anything, a new motor from Mazda’s partnership might come along. I think the chassis is contracted with Magna and so a powerplant change may be possible with a different supplier. Forget about in-house, Toyota gave up on that a long time ago.
Basically every Toyota engine used on a performance car has external influence, whether that's Yamaha on the old Toyota sports cars (I wanna say since the 2000GT all the way to the 1st gen IS300/Altezza), Lotus tuning the Camry engine, and our B58.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Basically every Toyota engine used on a performance car has external influence, whether that's Yamaha on the old Toyota sports cars (I wanna say since the 2000GT all the way to the 1st gen IS300/Altezza), Lotus tuning the Camry engine, and our B58.
External influence is not the same as external manufacturing. Contracting companies to help design and engineer something is not the same as outsourcing it’s production. This alone has resulted in alot of dissatisfaction among car buyers. Yamaha helped research and design Toyota engines, they didn’t build them. Research why Toyota no longer sells any V160 parts yet Nissan does.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Nothing personal OP, but this makes zero sense. The entire car is made using BMW parts. The MK5 is having record sales. If Toyota was that unhappy with the partnership they would end it and kill off the MK5.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
External influence is not the same as external manufacturing. Contracting companies to help design and engineer something is not the same as outsourcing it’s production. This alone has resulted in alot of dissatisfaction among car buyers. Yamaha helped research and design Toyota engines, they didn’t build them. Research why Toyota no longer sells any V160 parts yet Nissan does.
You do realize the MK5 has been having record sales and in just a few years already surpassed the entire MKIV generation? My local Toyota dealer says they would take every single 3.0 MK5 Toyota will give thembecause they sell quickly and there’s nice profit margins.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
You do realize the MK5 has been having record sales and in just a few years already surpassed the entire MKIV generation? My local Toyota dealer says they would take every single 3.0 MK5 Toyota will give thembecause they sell quickly and there’s nice profit margins.
:rolleyes:

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Why would they not use Mazda's new inline 6 from the Mazda Toyota Manufacturing venture?
They might for the MKVI.
Ironically I’m watching Pack vs Cards and there is a Toyota commercial with a Yellow Supra…. Toyota must be very unhappy…

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
without reading this thread i can tell you toyota allocation has been dialed down about 60%+ for most dealers... i highly doubt the supra is a priority at the moment
The Supra is not built at a Toyota plant, nor does it use Toyota parts. But to your point it’s no different for BmW or MegnaSteyr who builds the car in Austria. Toyota would love it If they could build more Supras right now. Even with markups they are selling.

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t even read through every comment but this feels exactly like some bullshit rumor. Can you imagine the financial battle if Toyota ended a legal partnership with BMW early? They are only producing the Supra to 2025/2026 anyways. Why end early when they only sell 2k a year and isn’t a main stream of income? What the hell would they replace it with now and then update in only 3 years agai

The issues with oil consumption are over exaggerated here because it’s all in one place. The issues with dealers bricking ecus are over exaggerated because it’s all here in one place. If they were as extensive as the forums show they would be coming out with fixes already.

this is a high performance sports car. It’s not a commuter car. I’ve learned there are some niche things that happen when you really push the car to its limits but my reputable shop says theses small issues are common for every single track car. It’s not specific just to the Supra.

no one is ending the bmw/Toyota partnership early… let’s stop with “I have a source” shit because everyone seems to “have a source at Toyota”

end rant…

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Toyota did outsource the 2000GT production to Yamaha though; they provided the Crown's engine and Yamaha handled manufacturing; there is precedent for Toyota outsourcing manufacturing but not to the extent of the MkV.

Partnering is very likely to continue, whether enthusiasts like it or not (let's be honest, most car buyers don't care whose badge is actually on their ECU or cams or whatever); a lot of the current partnering comes to risk mitigation and being able to provide their customers with innovation at a reasonable price. This really came to fruit after the 08 recession.

12k US and Canada sales during a pandemic in 2.5 years is really good. The profits are probably due to pandemic markups; low volume sports cars aren't money makers, and I believe there was an interview with the chief Supra engineer saying there's minimal profit in this; the two goals are brand recognition, and making sure the car isn't making a loss, so its not cut in down economies.

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I got word from a fellow member that has a connection to a director of sales that the supra production has been paused. Not sure if it's lack of materials or chips, but as of now the 2022s will be in low numbers...

@the1stcody can you confirm? His info was accurate for 2022 to a T

Last edited:

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I got word from a fellow member that has a connection to a director of sales that the supra production has been paused. Not sure if it's lack of materials or chips, but as of now the 2022s will be in low numbers...

@the1stcody can you confirm? His info was accurate for 2022 to a T
Unless BMW has a secret chip fab somewhere that no one knows about - I'd guess production will be cut to a similar level (or even lower) than their own cars. After all, every manufacturer is waiting in this regard and Toyota has to replace HU's under warranty as well now... so that definitely won't help things. It doesn't have to be the same ~40% IIRC that they are cutting their own production figures by (because it's BMW parts)... but every manufacturer is affected.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Toyota, BMW and Magna-Steyr are not going to cancel their Supra/Z4 project early. As many have pointed out already there is a myriad of moving pieces in place between the manufacturing, supply chain and legal sides of the joint project. Both cars will finish out with MY2026.

And Toyota will probably get their likely far too limited production GRMN before then. The should-have-been-there-from-the-start manual transmission option would be nice too since this generation represents the last opportunity to offer one in any new Supra. The supply chain slowdowns and microchip shortage have shifted most updates by at least a year. Hopefully there still will be some major updates.

But Toyota definitely isn't doing any in-house engine changes. The platform is designed around the BMW B58, B48 and (hopefully...) S58 engines.

Rumblings from Toyota about killing off the Supra yet again just after bringing it back have me concerned. It would be an extremely STUPID letdown.

Sure, ANY new performance Toyota design would have to be hybrid gas-electric, full battery-electric, hydrogen fuel fuel cell full electric or even (though doubtful outside of racing) hydrogen internal combustion.

But as much as Akio doesn't like electrification especially when it comes to fun cars I'd much rather Toyota TRY to develop a fun Generation VI Supra with whatever requisite electrification would be required at the time. Given how well they're done co-developing the GT86/GR86, GR Supra and their own in-house GR Yaris and soon-to-be GR Corolla I have faith in their capability.

Killing off the Supra entirely after generation V would be a lack of willpower to try to carry their most iconic car into a new era while keeping its spirit and unique character very much alive as a pure sports car or sportscar GT like the MKIV was.

The new lineup of Mazda in-house inline-six hybrid-electric engines (a couple of which are turbocharged) and Mazda's new RWD platform architecture to support those engines for a CUV, a sedan and potentially a coupe plus Toyota's partnership with Mazda all seem to me to be the very easiest way they might co-develop a successor Supra MKVI.

Beyond that, Toyota has their own new solid state battery technology that is probably 5-10 years away from being *ready* to be realistically producible at scale for normal cars let alone a sportscar.

Toyota definitely has a few options they could choose from in order to keep the Supra alive as a pure driver-centric, engaging high performance sports car.

Question is... will they do it or cling to the notion that it "needs to die off" because "it can't ever be a hybrid or see electrification in any way"?

I truly love the current pure gas-turbo ethos that is in the current Supra MKV but in the very long term I very much want the Supra to survive into new generations as the high performance not-for-everyone machine that it is and evolve as it must in order to do so.

But right now the MKV is going to stick it out with the BMW based engines through it's next few model years. I really hope an S58 becomes an option and that it will not be pure unobtanium.
Sponsored