21’ Supra Targa Top Conversion

tnhendley

First Name
Trevon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21’ GR Supra 3.0
Question, I’ve been looking at a convertible conversion shop in California that seems to do legit conversions that maintain the rigidity of the cars they mod. I want to do a targa top mod just like Toyota did for their Supra concept. Is this possible and if so would the price to do it be worth it? Orrr is Toyota planning on releasing one in the coming years ?
Sponsored

Lonestar_Nomad

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘23 GR Supra Premium MT
Nobody can answer the second part of that question, unless someone has a bug in Toyotas board rooms. My personal opinion is we will not see a targa as part of the agreement with bmw. Targa top removes the biggest differentiator making the Z4 unique.

Having a targa cut into the vehicle is certainly possible, but whether or not it’s worth it just depends on how much you need the top gone and how much you hate money. Proving it structurally sound is a completely different realm however. An incredible amount of engineering goes into designing convertibles. Additional bracing across the doors, reinforced windshield surrounds, automatically deployed rollover bars etc.

OP
OP

tnhendley

First Name
Trevon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21’ GR Supra 3.0
I wasn’t really looking for a financial incentive. It was just more of a personal preference thing. I was more concerned on if the price to do it would be too crazy.

OP
OP

tnhendley

First Name
Trevon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21’ GR Supra 3.0
Nobody can answer the second part of that question, unless someone has a bug in Toyotas board rooms. My personal opinion is we will not see a targa as part of the agreement with bmw. Targa top removes the biggest differentiator making the Z4 unique.

Having a targa cut into the vehicle is certainly possible, but whether or not it’s worth it just depends on how much you need the top gone and how much you hate money. Proving it structurally sound is a completely different realm however. An incredible amount of engineering goes into designing convertibles. Additional bracing across the doors, reinforced windshield surrounds, automatically deployed rollover bars etc.
I suppose that all makes sense. I didn’t know bmw wouldn’t allow for one. Why would they even make a concept then to begin with? Seems kind of confusing. The money part, yeah I don’t mind spending up to a certain amount to get it done since I plan on keeping the car forever, I guess I’d have to verify they actually take in to consideration those important rigidity related things too, before doing that.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
I wasn’t really looking for a financial incentive. It was just more of a personal preference thing. I was more concerned on if the price to do it would be too crazy.
Financial incentive is in regards to Toyota making one or not.

I suppose that all makes sense. I didn’t know bmw wouldn’t allow for one. Why would they even make a concept then to begin with? Seems kind of confusing. The money part, yeah I don’t mind spending up to a certain amount to get it done since I plan on keeping the car forever, I guess I’d have to verify they actually take in to consideration those important rigidity related things too, before doing that.
It was just a concept they got a shop to do. They also had someone make a center exit exhaust which hasn't materialized on regular models yet either. Concept doesn't have to come to fruition.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
It was just a concept they got a shop to do. They also had someone make a center exit exhaust which hasn't materialized on regular models yet either. Concept doesn't have to come to fruition.
We kinda went over this before, and yes, the very notion of concept is just that, concept. Ninety-plus percent of all concepts and/or prototypes never make it to production. However, it's worth noting this was a fully functional concept, which is outside of the norm, and the money TMNA spent on it demonstrates how serious they were about its feasibility.

1000002836.png

But, for we're here for OP's sake, and if there's one good place in the country you can inquire with regarding doing this work for you, cost be damned, it'd be KC's Paint Shop. I'm not saying other specialty shops couldn't do it, because ANYTHING is possible with a big enough budget, but they're the only ones in America (outside of the TMNA Plano crew) that have real, insider technical knowledge on how this conversion went down.
Sponsored