'21 Ordering: Ordering a 2.0 or 3.0 and why?

TRDPROHI

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 TRD Pro 4Runner, 2018 TRD Sport Tacoma
Just curious which one everyone is planning on ordering and why?

Has anyone heard if there will be a 3.0 premium or just the base with added packages?
Sponsored

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet

Has anyone heard if there will be a 3.0 premium or just the base with added packages?
Depends where you live, as there is no ā€œbaseā€ for a lot of the market.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra

Same lineup as 2020 for the 3.0 with the A91 replacing the Launch Edition.

SA91

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
370Z
Hoping to order 2021 3.0 A91 edition unless refraction blue is available on premium model.

ifew552

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q50
Link to this news?
I totally agree. It has hit the fan, and economy is going to tank. With this, who is going to buy 55K Toyota ? And those who are thinking about buying '21 now, I guarantee you'll have second thoughts come this summer. You need to be able to eat first before you can drive 55k Toyota. And no link to this as I am an expert of my own opinion lol

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I totally agree. It has hit the fan, and economy is going to tank. With this, who is going to buy 55K Toyota ? And those who are thinking about buying '21 now, I guarantee you'll have second thoughts come this summer. You need to be able to eat first before you can drive 55k Toyota. And no link to this as I am an expert of my own opinion lol
This is a great time for the economy. Every stock is down, so buy what you can, and wait for this to blow over. Stocks will go back to where they were, or better.

It's only bad, if you sell right now. So don't.

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hakone 86, '18 Tundra 4x4, '15 4Runner Trail
Vehicle Showcase
I think many may be pleasantly surprised at what the aftermarket is able to do with the 2.0. On a road course, I don't expect there to be a big performance difference between to two, especially on more technical track layouts. I do think a larger factory brake option on the 2.0 would be welcome by many, but we'll see how the new brake setup holds up under hard track use. Perhaps a pad and fluid change will be sufficient. My 3L Supra will be 98% street, so I don't see the need for extensive power or suspension mods. The 2.0 may be a better choice for those looking for a lighter, slightly better balanced platform, with significant aftermarket power increase available (tune or engine swap). If bigger brakes are needed for track, that will take a bite out of the savings, but for track/mods, the 2.0 is likely to be the best Supra value for the dollar. Perhaps at some point, Toyota will offer a 2.0 "CR" package with larger brakes and firmed up suspension. The 2.0 will be fast on track, properly modded, make no mistake. A tune, seat/harnesses, tires and coilovers (maybe brakes) should satisfy most track day enthusiasts, at a significant cost savings over the 3.0.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think many may be pleasantly surprised at what the aftermarket is able to do with the 2.0. On a road course, I don't expect there to be a big performance difference between to two, especially on more technical track layouts. I do think a larger factory brake option on the 2.0 would be welcome by many, but we'll see how the new brake setup holds up under hard track use. Perhaps a pad and fluid change will be sufficient. My 3L Supra will be 98% street, so I don't see the need for extensive power or suspension mods. The 2.0 may be a better choice for those looking for a lighter, slightly better balanced platform, with significant aftermarket power increase available (tune or engine swap). If bigger brakes are needed for track, that will take a bite out of the savings, but for track/mods, the 2.0 is likely to be the best Supra value for the dollar. Perhaps at some point, Toyota will offer a 2.0 "CR" package with larger brakes and firmed up suspension. The 2.0 will be fast on track, properly modded, make no mistake. A tune, seat/harnesses, tires and coilovers (maybe brakes) should satisfy most track day enthusiasts, at a significant cost savings over the 3.0.
Depends on the track layout. Long straights, the 3.0 will be significantly faster. Tight twisty track, the difference will be less. If you want better stopping power, get better tires, and a fluid and pad change. No need to get bigger brakes unless you really know what you're doing. Same goes for suspension. 95% of people doing track days can't push a stock suspension to the limit, so no need to upgrade. The Supra in any configuration is faster than most of us can get out of it.

RicksterSupra

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0/Prem - Porsche Cayenne

Take the approx $10K+ savings from the 6 cylinder and put it into mods for the 4 cylinder. Tada San even said the 4 is more conducive to mods as thereā€™s much more space in the engine. At more than 200 lbs lighter than the 6, if you mod the four with better performing/lighter parts, itā€™s gonna be a pocket rocket! I might be leaning that way when it comes time to trade my ā€˜20 premium. Iā€™m in my 50ā€™s and donā€™t care for outright straight ahead speed anymore, but I still want quickness, fun factor driving curvy roads etc.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Take the approx $10K+ savings from the 6 cylinder and put it into mods for the 4 cylinder. Tada San even said the 4 is more conducive to mods as thereā€™s much more space in the engine. At more than 200 lbs lighter than the 6, if you mod the four with better performing/lighter parts, itā€™s gonna be a pocket rocket! I might be leaning that way when it comes time to trade my ā€˜20 premium. Iā€™m in my 50ā€™s and donā€™t care for outright straight ahead speed anymore, but I still want quickness.
Go test drive a newer VW GTI with the DSG. In stock form it's just as quick as the 2.0 Supra. If it's quick enough for you, you have your answer.

RicksterSupra

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0/Prem - Porsche Cayenne
Go test drive a newer VW GTI with the DSG. In stock form it's just as quick as the 2.0 Supra. If it's quick enough for you, you have your answer.
This is my third Supra, had an MK2 & MK3 30+ years ago. I always told myself if they ever brought it back Iā€™d own one Supra till I died. Anything other than a Supra and SUV for family is NOT an option.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is my third Supra, had an MK2 & MK3 30+ years ago. I always told myself if they ever brought it back Iā€™d own at least one Supra till I died. Anything other than a Supra and SUV for family is NOT an option.
I don't think you're understanding what I said....
The GTI is as fast as a 2.0 Supra.
If you drive the GTI, and you think it's quick enough, then you'll be happy with a 2.0 Supra, if you think it's too slow, then you'd obviously want the 3.0.
Just a way to see how quick the 2.0 Supra is before it lands at the dealers, that's all.
Sponsored