21 Supra vs SRT-10 viper: Equal?!

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
Had some time to kill so I drove my Supra to my buddies dealership where they had a 2006 Viper for sale. Cool car and they were offering me good money for my Supra if I wanted to trade. I toyed with the idea....old-ish skool vs new school.

So I entertained the idea a bit more. I busted out the cell phone racing and started searching 1/4 mile times...yadda yadda...and was expecting the Viper to be faster....But...it looks like it would be a drivers race! Wow.

The 06 Viper was awesome but sooo different...I turned down a test drive but it was cool to start up that beast! To think the Toyo-beamer accomplishes the same thing in a more civilized manner.
Sponsored

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
I had a bolt on/tune Gen5 Viper and it was significantly faster than my bolt on JB4 meth/e50 Supra. Also way more fun in every way... But it was uncomfortable, I'd get a migraine after more than an hour in the car, and it was always broken (first CEL was at 25 miles on the odometer).

Gen3/4 aren't nearly as fast as a Gen5 and even less refined.

OP
OP
YellowJacket

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
Well the point of my thread was that the Supra matches a 500hp monster at what it does best i guess. I was talking about acceleration being equal...obviously the Supra is going to be a better "car" being modern. I just thought it was cool that with today's tech we are driving close with the top of yesterday's performance.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well the point of my thread was that the Supra matches a 500hp monster at what it does best i guess. I was talking about acceleration being equal...obviously the Supra is going to be a better "car" being modern. I just thought it was cool that with today's tech we are driving close with the top of yesterday's performance.
Stock vs stock any Gen4 or 5 Viper would run away from a Supra. Not equal.

OP
OP
YellowJacket

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
Stock vs stock any Gen4 or 5 Viper would run away from a Supra. Not equal.
Could you elaborate? Roll race? Experience you have had? I'd like to read it.

911A91

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 21C8 21GT500
I agree the Supra is somewhat of a sleeper. Was racing around w my buddy in his C8 and we were both surprised. Impressive car no doubt and I've had alot of vehicles to compare it to.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I agree the Supra is somewhat of a sleeper. Was racing around w my buddy in his C8 and we were both surprised. Impressive car no doubt and I've had alot of vehicles to compare it to.
Honestly this is one of the things I like about the Supra. The styling certainly isn't understated. People definitely want a piece of it when out driving around. But the B58 matched to the ZF8 is just a killer combination, and benefits significantly from just a few core upgrades. Can be made very fast with moderate work, it seems. This is also the reason I haven't changed anything about the styling. I kind of like the idea that people think they're lining up against a stock car. 😆

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Could you elaborate? Roll race? Experience you have had? I'd like to read it.
I've owned both? 🤷. For reference a Supra is roughly as fast as a V8 SS Camaro, maybe a bit faster.

OP
OP
YellowJacket

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
I've owned both? 🤷. For reference a Supra is roughly as fast as a V8 SS Camaro, maybe a bit faster.

Uh...I murdered my friends SS don't know what year and edged out my buddies 15' Corvette C7 z51. Just FYI.

Is the 2020 that much slower than the 21'?

The supra runs a 1/4 mile in 12.1 according to publications. This correlates with my experience. The camaro runs 12.5 at best if it's a newer one...and that vid showed an older one.

All in all so far that Viper is NOT going to "run away" from the supra until the supra hits 163...lol.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Uh...I murdered my friends SS don't know what year and edged out my buddies 15' C7 z51. Just FYI.

Is the 2020 that much slower than the 21'?

The supra runs a 1/4 mile in 12.1 according to publications. This correlates with my experience. The camaro runs 12.5 at best if it's a newer one...and that vid showed an older one.
Uh, a Viper driven by a random owner will do 11.3@131mph. On a decent tire it can do a 10.8 @ low 130's otherwise stock. The confusion people have is they see a poorly driven manual car (Viper) vs an automatic car with half decent traction control and launch control (yes the Supras garbage LC is way better than the Viper one) and confirmation bias tells them that the Viper is slower than it really is.

OP
OP
YellowJacket

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0

skip to around 5 min.

OP
OP
YellowJacket

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
Uh, a Viper driven by a random owner will do 11.3@131mph. On a decent tire it can do a 10.8 @ low 130's otherwise stock. The confusion people have is they see a poorly driven manual car (Viper) vs an automatic car with half decent traction control and launch control (yes the Supras garbage LC is way better than the Viper one) and confirmation bias tells them that the Viper is slower than it really is.
We are talking the Gen 3 Viper correct...I mean that's what this post is about....2006?
I know when Viper got it's butt handed to it on a plate when the C6 Z06 came out the Viper got a 100hp bump in 08. The Viper I was referencing originally was a Gen 3 with 500hp.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
We are talking the Gen 3 Viper correct...I mean that's what this post is about....2006?
I know when Viper got it's butt handed to it on a plate when the C6 Z06 came out the Viper got a 100hp bump in 08. The Viper I was referencing originally was a Gen 3 with 500hp.
Oh sorry, yeah the 500hp gen3 model is probably pretty comparable. Nearly 20 year old car (didn't gen3 come out in 2003?) So yeah a 20 year newer 55k car would almost be expected to win.
Sponsored