M2 vs Camaro vs Supra

SupraSleek

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan frontier
Camaro visibility, and overall looks is why I had originally bought a mustang GT PP1. Performance wise, In a straight line the Supra and Mustang are almost dead even with the mustang being ever so slightly faster. Where the Supra shines is at a track. With the PP1 package the mustang was deadly but its weight holds it back. Iā€™ve never been in a car at this price point that handles like a Supra. (Buddy took me for a ride and let me drive a few laps in his AT at our local track while he drove my mustang) he agreed to the above statement. Slap a JB4 on and now youā€™re really in business.
Sponsored

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
This is a dumb argument. The Camaro SS 1LE is an insane performance value and one of the last great V8 muscle cars the world is likely to ever see. Plus it sounds fucking amazing. If you can handle the size, cheapness of the interior, and the visibility issues, you will probably love it.
The negatives you list make it not great IMO. Fast, if you have the $$$ to keep it that way? Yes. But not a great car, hence it's demise.

Slap a JB4 on and now youā€™re really in business.
JB4 for track days? That's a bold move, Cotton.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Gonna put my 2 cents in here. I know all about the same driver/same day/same conditions stuff BUT...

I spend a lot of "library time" reading car mags. Mostly Car and Driver. And I absolutely LOVE seeing all the cars with similar and less performance than my Supra that damn near always cost, often substantially, more, (looking at you Cayman/Boxter) and also nearly ALWAYS come from the factory on Cup2s. And those few that don't still have a newer/better factory tire than we do. Our tire isn't even the most recent version of Michelin's summer tires for crying out loud.

Hell, our Supras match, beat, or come damn close to outperforming cars that cost a lot more AND require tires that ARE NOT EVEN LEGAL in SCCA autocross street tires classes to even hang. The Supra is at or very near the top bang for buck car you can currently buy in my opinion.

It irritates me to no end when the Car and Driver editors talk about not changing tires to be on equal footing because it wasn't "designed for the car". Give me a fucking break. I've been swapping hotter tires for AX and track days and even just finding the best street tires possible for almost 40 years now. The only thing that has ever resulted is my car went faster, cornered harder, and stopped shorter. C/D acts like the damn thing will blow up or something.

I do really enjoy swapping my 200TW AX tires (currently using RE-71RS) and then spanking those same cars at autocross events!
The magazines stay away from what we are doing. Who knows why. Is it because they donā€™t dare overstep BMW? I have no clueā€¦ I only know weā€™re getting the question at the early morning track briefing meetings: ā€œHow many Supra owners do we have here today?ā€ - I remember hearing that line with Porsche GT Cup cars or Mazda MX5 Cup cars over the years. They lead up to if you see one in your rear view mirror itā€™s because they caught up to you and are faster. Give them the point by is the rational of the speech, in the faster run groups at least. Itā€™s always a good speech and nice to hear our cars getting that kind of credit. As they should. They are incredibly fast on track - decent driver and rubber expected.

We happen to have a lot of them down here. The Porsche guys hang together, the Vettes, the BMWs, MX5s & BRZ/GR86ers at the track. Those are the biggest groups and rightly so. They can do it w/out breaking down and have lots of aftermarket support. Now add our Supra funky bunch. Sure, thereā€™s an occasional Camaro. Cool cars but rare indeed. They take a lot more coin to do the same thing we do. And the real question comes up, why not just get a C7 with the same V8 šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø. Especially from a consumable perspective. Only the MX5 & BRZ crowd can do it even cheaper (consumable wise) and repeatedly take a good track beating.

This isnā€™t anything new to anyone who tracks regularly. Weā€™ve got so much delicious torque = boogers to those more expensive cars on track. Agree with @94boosted a track package would be bad ass. But theyā€™ll never do it because itā€™s not in BMWs best interest. Weā€™re already a menace to those beautiful overweight M cars. Coilovers are worth it if you track a lot, imo. Feels great and decreases lap times. So yeah, canā€™t wait to hit her some more in October!

Ultimately, the Camaro will drive off into the sunset. BMW will hopefully figure out how to reduce weight and get the most out of that fantastic S58. And the Supra will continue to be a clear track winner šŸ† (for those of us that use her more than a one time YouTube video and know how to put on proper shoes šŸ›ž).

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
Saw a Toronto Red G87 on the road a few weeks ago. It had a menacing look that a really appreciated. Like so many divisive designs this one is growing on me. Not a beautiful car by any means, but I don't hate it in an interesting color.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Iā€™m looking forward to seeing the DH markups. The premium GT with options is touching 60k. Iā€™m definitely expecting 75-85k DH on lots shortly.

Supra Jr.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 supra
I wish I still had the car because I think it was neat.. but that's it. I didn't like the seating position, the location of the shifter to the seat/wheel; it just wasn't comfortable for me. I didn't feel comfortable pushing it, either. I did like the fact that it had ALL the race car parts I could ever need other than the camber plates I added and some AJ Hartman aero, which in itself was NICE because ALL of it has CFD data back up, along with actual YouTube vids of the tests.
I even hated daily driving it because Mustang owners in my town are complete and utter douchebags hahaha.
I have much, much more fun in the Supra.
Same I had a roush supercharged mustang and it was fast and beautiful but my God I hate mustang people and couldn't stand being associated with themšŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ also sold it for the Supra!!!

20210309_064806.jpg

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Saw a Toronto Red G87 on the road a few weeks ago. It had a menacing look that a really appreciated. Like so many divisive designs this one is growing on me. Not a beautiful car by any means, but I don't hate it in an interesting color.
Mine is Toronto Red. Its off the ship awaiting transport to my dealer in South Germany :) Maybe in a week it will be home :) Ready to run :)

I like Chris Harris' style with reviews. I watched only 1 review for my 17 M2 here in Germany. His. I was buying of course but he is interesting and fun to watch. He appears to really like this one as well.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Same I had a roush supercharged mustang and it was fast and beautiful but my God I hate mustang people and couldn't stand being associated with themšŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ also sold it for the Supra!!!

20210309_064806.jpg
I was a Mustang person for a very long time (85 Gt, 89 GT, 97 Cobra). Still like them actually. Hopefully youā€™ll still tolerate meā€¦

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I was a Mustang person for a very long time (85 Gt, 89 GT, 97 Cobra). Still like them actually. Hopefully youā€™ll still tolerate meā€¦
Weā€™ve had three mustangs as well. All GTs. One of my wifeā€™s favorite cars šŸ˜–. She would only let me do pads, fluid & sway bars and insisted on an exhaust labeled ā€œwake the neighborsā€ in the ad by Borla šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

IMG_2418.jpeg

IMG_2274.jpeg

My teenage daughter (at the time) couldnā€™t take a real photos at or on the way to Sebring. Everything had to be messed with on my phone. But at least my baby girl is also into cars today, like her mama.

Last edited:

Sub-MkV

First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium Renaissance Red
One of the reasons the Camaro is a great deal compared to the Supra has a lot to do with the fact that the Supra was built more so to be a Cayman/TT-RS competitor and sales wise they knew the Supra would'nt sell the type of numbers muscle cars sell(60-80k copies a year). Americans are generally more bias to their own plus the Supra is too small and lacks the extra space for the average American.

I understand exactly why Toyota made sports cars with other manufacturers. They pay close attention to historical facts like the FD RX7, MK4 Supra, NSX, MR2, S2000 and numerous other good import sports cars who the manufacturers could only wish to have sold around 30-40k cars a year.

For a two seat premium sports car made by a premium brand(BMW) the Supra is actually the cheapest when you look at it in context.
Sponsored