First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra, 2015 BMW 335i
Saw his latest video. I’m normally a fan of his stuff but this felt like a “I’m gunna throw shade at the Supra without mentioning which vehicle I’m referencing”
Something ab that guy.. can’t stand him lol
Sponsored

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
He's uploaded some worthy stuff, but it's otherwise mostly clickbait.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Saw his latest video. I’m normally a fan of his stuff but this felt like a “I’m gunna throw shade at the Supra without mentioning which vehicle I’m referencing”
80% of Youtube is pathetic shill-trash. Such as this video. Its a pig with 370Z lipstick. Nissan tossed parts on the old chassis with sheet metal update. Reality when your 'customer base' buys boxes and trucks. The ONLY thing making money for them at all.

The Z is new. Its not even close in terms of performance with the Supra. A 2.0 is more capable in the total sense compared to the Z. The press is having a hard time holding back on the Z being .....less than capable. IF they could be blunt it would be fairly ugly lol. Tires BS, octane BS lol. When you are thinking that will help make up to total deficit to the Supra...............lol. Its a severe reach.

The hype around the Z was absurd. YouTube trash will keep that going lol

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I know i/we are biased a little, but the features and amenities only getting a 4??? Other than vented seats, and driving itself, (which the Supra damn near does anyways) I don't know what other features they can really have in it lol. And exterior styling a 5??? And the Mustang a 9?? The Mustang has the same overall lines and look for the last 7 years, it takes more than a bumper cover and rear valance to have one look way different then the eco boost rental car.. I agree with the rest of it except those 2 things. And hahahahahahahah the Z

I thought it was ugly until I owned it.
The concept the took off a truck and drove was way cooler looking and I was butthurt they didn't stick with that look so I was a hater for the first year of Supras.

Now I cant stop drooling over it

trev_rs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium, '17 Abarth 124 Spider
I thought it was ugly until I owned it.
The concept the took off a truck and drove was way cooler looking and I was butthurt they didn't stick with that look so I was a hater for the first year of Supras.

Now I cant stop drooling over it
It has more presence than in pictures and videos. I wasn't sold on the car either, in fact I'd dismissed it and was shopping for other cars, then I saw one in person, and was sold.

It's the ass.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
It has more presence than in pictures and videos. I wasn't sold on the car either, in fact I'd dismissed it and was shopping for other cars, then I saw one in person, and was sold.

It's the ass.
100% agree. I had initially immediately discounted the Supra because of the way it looked when shopping for fun cars having never seen one in person. Went to go buy a Highlander, they had one on the lot, I gave it a good once over, drove it, and was sold. The back end on it is just so, so good looking. I've always been a Porsche guy and at times regret not getting what the Supra was up against, but it's just such a solid car for the money.

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium

It's the ass.
Hah, that's hilarious. Same!!!! I was a hater on the BMW aspect, and that it didn't look as good as the concept. So I hated the first couple years. I was buying the wife an SUV cause we just had a baby. The Supra was sitting right next to us while we were signing papers. Looked at it...ended up back two weeks later (After looking across the US for one) and bought the same car that was sitting next to us. Now I'm obsessed with it. And a spoiler makes it look even better, imo.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
I'm of the belief that if Toyota had build a 100% Supra it would either be worse or better than our cars depending on their approach.

Approach # 1 (The Parts Bin Approach) which is to used a Lexus platform and a Lexus V6/V8 which would yield a heavier car by hundreds with a motor that doesn't have easy potential for cheap power. It would essentially be a Lexus RCF(4000+ lbs/470hp N/A) with a different body design(think Lexus SC300 vs Mk4). This approach would probably cost 50k but would most likely be a horrible car by comparison and more GT like than Mk5.

Approach #2(The build from the ground up Approach) which would be to build a whole new platform that's light and best suited for a RWD sporting vehicle($$$) that can handle power and to build a new I6T motor called the 3JZ($$$$$) with forged internals and close deck. It would have the option of a well designed 6 spd manual or a 8 spd DCT, aluminum wishbone suspension with Brembo's standard all around and at least Lexus level interior refinements. This car may have been better than our car but it would cost about 80-100K and many would say

"its way overpriced, Id rather a Porsche/Lotus/C8 Z06 etc"

The 2023 Nissan Z took the first approach above and yet most critics prefer our Supra which proves the point I've been pushing since 2020 that the Mk5 Supra represents the "Goldilocks" middle ground approach which is the most rational.
Amen to all of this!!

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I'm actually a big CD fan and been a subscriber for, ahem, a very long time. However, they irritate me to no end with their absolute refusal to account for cars that come with what I feel are cheater tires like the Mustang. The "we test them like they build them" crap is just the dumbest ass thing ever. We're talking about tires here not the effing engine and transmission. By this logic, those sticky Cup 2s should be staying on the 40,000 mile test cars right through the Michigan winter. That's how they built it after all. Let's put the same tires on each car and see what happens. You know, like those of us out in the real world might.

The styling thing is a head scratcher as well. I get styling is subjective. There's no getting around that but seriously a 5 versus a 9. Someone who has a lot of pull at CD is in the hate the Supra's styling camp apparently. That's just stupid and I'm a pretty big Mustang fan actually. I like them a lot. I actually like a huge number of cars, including the new Z but given inherent taste differences a 5-9 difference should be an impossibility unless one of the cars is a Pontiac Aztek.

This comparo reminds me a lot of a previous Corvette versus Cayman GT4 test where the Vette lost despite winning every single performance category and a close look at the scoring showed it was the ride category that made all the difference. A previous Cayman review stated the ride was borderline too much for the street and if you saw the car on the side of the road with the driver outside, they may have just needed a break from the beating. That same car also knocked the driver's head into the roof three times in succession. A previous Vette article talked about the car being all day comfortable and you could drive it across country without it tiring you out. Yet, miraculously, all it takes is putting a less aggressive seat in the Cayman and a more aggressive seat in the Vette and suddenly both score a 9?? Morale of the story here is ride has nothing to do with the chassis or suspension components/tuning. It's all in the seat. Come to think of it, my favorite car mag also recently claimed the 911 has become "too soft" to be a Corvette competitor now. Seriously? Are they on crack? It wasn't but a couple articles before that a 911 Carrera S came in at 11.2 in the quarter, 2.9 to sixty, pulled 1.09 G, and stopped from 70 in 141 feet. Yep, that is a soft car alright. And the Cayman GT4 that according to CD has "taken the throne at Porsche as the de-facto sports car"? It did 12.1 in the quarter, 3.9 to sixty, 1.08 G (on Cup 2s no less), and 149 feet from 70 seem. Does that sound like the 911 is the softer of the two?? Sure as hell doesn't to me. Seems more likely they couldn't figure out a way to finagle the scoring for a twice as expensive 911 to come out on top. A stripper Cayman though, at only about $27,000 more expensive. No problem. Where's that ride category...

It's like they sometimes have a desired finishing order and then need to come up with a way to make it happen. Still enjoy the mag. It's just every once in a while they put something out that just makes me wonder WTF they are thinking.
I just remembered CD did a November 2020 comparison of the 2.0 Supra and 2.3 Mustang. They gave the Supra an 8 in styling at that time. The Mustang was the same at a 9. I understand the Mach 1 is more aggressively styled than the 2.3 but the difference is not so much that non-enthusiasts even notice. Strange how the identically styled Supra goes from an 8 to a 5…

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I just remembered CD did a November 2020 comparison of the 2.0 Supra and 2.3 Mustang. They gave the Supra an 8 in styling at that time. The Mustang was the same at a 9. I understand the Mach 1 is more aggressively styled than the 2.3 but the difference is not so much that non-enthusiasts even notice. Strange how the identically styled Supra goes from an 8 to a 5…
And in October 2019 CD compared the Supra with a Mustang GT350, Porsche Cayman, and BMW M2 Competition. Exterior styling scores were 9 for the GT350, 8 for the Supra and Cayman, and 7 for the M2. I often make fun of conspiracy theorists but if CD is consistent with how they’ve rated the Supra in previous comparisons, the Mustang doesn’t win.
Sponsored