C&D: Supra vs Z vs M240 vs Mach 1

CSUfiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS400
There are so many “appearance packages” these days that you really have to be in tune to keep up with which is which.

If somebody is really casual, who’s to say that those 3 are all Ecoboost Mustangs, but the difference in bumpers is simply a refresh (newer model year vs. older model)? That’s just one example of what one could be confused with.

Don’t blame the casuals because it can be hard sometimes!
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
There are so many “appearance packages” these days that you really have to be in tune to keep up with which is which.

If somebody is really casual, who’s to say that those 3 are all Ecoboost Mustangs, but the difference in bumpers is simply a refresh (newer model year vs. older model)? That’s just one example of what one could be confused with.

Don’t blame the casuals because it can be hard sometimes!
I guess I didnt post them right, but the top and bottom are ecoboost 4cyl, the middle is the Mach 1. But to the average person they don’t know anything but mustang.

CSUfiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS400
I guess I didnt post them right, but the top and bottom are ecoboost 4cyl, the middle is the Mach 1. But to the average person they don’t know anything but mustang.
All good, point taken! I am in agreement with you.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
IDK, these are just ecoboost mustangs and to a casual observer id bet they couldnt tell the difference. Obviously, we know. but lower part of the front valance and the lower rear valance, a sticker pack and badging is all that there is to tell them apart. Obviously like you said there are many parts that make it something special and id have traded my 18 GT in a heartbeat for a Mach 1 back then. I guess my point on what im saying is looks wise, appearance idk how it got a 9. GT350/GT500 you can see how much wider and meaner they look, the others. its hard to tell the difference between a base rental car and the top of the line GT, from a quick glance.

1657214197184.png

1657214217790.png

1657214236266.png
Not sure if you realize it or not, but the Mach 1 has an entirely different front bumper cover. It's not just the front splitter that's different in the front. The middle picture you posted is a Mach 1, but it's a Mach 1 without the appearance package and I'll admit that those look more similar to a regular Mustang. The appearance package cars with the handling package look like this, which to me looks more like a Shelby than a GT;
Screenshot_20220707-154334_Chrome.jpg

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Yeah, I don't know mustangs and they all look the same to me, maybe just a minor aero kit on the one in the middle.

ApexMissingApe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra (sold), BMW M550i, G8 GXP
Modern pony cars are a lot of fun, but they’re just too big and heavy for my tastes to be a sports car. I had a Camaro SS 1LE and while it was a blast, I merely liked my Camaro vs loving my Supra.

But damn, the Mustang and Camaro are just plain boring looking, outside their top offerings. How the Mustang beat the Supra is beyond me, especially when Ford revised the hood slope and front bumper to accommodate the pedestrian crash standards. It looks….derpy.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Not sure if you realize it or not, but the Mach 1 has an entirely different front bumper cover. It's not just the front splitter that's different in the front. The middle picture you posted is a Mach 1, but it's a Mach 1 without the appearance package and I'll admit that those look more similar to a regular Mustang. The appearance package cars with the handling package look like this, which to me looks more like a Shelby than a GT;
I know exactly what they are, i made my point, a Mach 1 isnt that far off. Yeah the handling pack gives a little more and it is closer to the Shelby's. BUT its not as wide or have the stance and everything a Shelby does. My point in all this, how do you give a Mustang a 9. when just like i pointed out, its hard to tell from a ecoboost. The grill is different and from the grill line down is shaped a little different. It does have the wider wheels and the rear valance from a GT500, the rear wing off a GT350. it does look better, but not that much and if a regular mach 1 was sitting next to a ecoboost, to a lot there isnt a difference, hell those pictures got others in here. But true my wording shouldve been different, i shouldve stated there is a mach 1 with 2 ecoboosts

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
IDK, these are 2 ecoboost mustangs and and a Mach 1 to a casual observer id bet they couldnt tell the difference. Obviously, we know. but lower part of the front valance and the lower rear valance, a sticker pack and badging is all that there is to tell them apart. Obviously like you said there are many parts that make it something special and id have traded my 18 GT in a heartbeat for a Mach 1 back then. I guess my point on what im saying is looks wise, appearance idk how it got a 9. GT350/GT500 you can see how much wider and meaner they look, the others. its hard to tell the difference between a base rental car and the top of the line GT, from a quick glance.

1657214197184.png

1657214217790.png

1657214236266.png
It would probably take a couple seconds of looking closely to confirm its a Mach 1 vs an Ecoboost or a 5.0. Not something I'd notice on one passing by.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
I cross shopped new GT-R, new ZL1 Camaro, and used Porsche 911 GT3s and Turbos.

Chose the Supra - probably because I'm a tightwad.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
I know exactly what they are, i made my point, a Mach 1 isnt that far off. Yeah the handling pack gives a little more and it is closer to the Shelby's. BUT its not as wide or have the stance and everything a Shelby does. My point in all this, how do you give a Mustang a 9. when just like i pointed out, its hard to tell from a ecoboost. The grill is different and from the grill line down is shaped a little different. It does have the wider wheels and the rear valance from a GT500, the rear wing off a GT350. it does look better, but not that much and if a regular mach 1 was sitting next to a ecoboost, to a lot there isnt a difference, hell those pictures got others in here. But true my wording shouldve been different, i shouldve stated there is a mach 1 with 2 ecoboosts
You're entitled to your opinion, but I still say the Mach 1 is visually different enough to know its special. The picture that I posted is the way that most people buy the Mach 1. The base model doesn't differentiate itself nearly as much, so I'll give you that. But if I were buying a Mach 1, it would definitely be a handling and appearance package car. Equipped like that, you get a MUCH more aggressive stance with wider wheels, wider tires, more aggressive offsets, and lower ride height, veey similar to the Shelby cars.

Anyway, losing by a point to a special version Mustang isnt a big deal at all.The Mach 1 is an incredible car for what it is. It's balanced between ride and handling is insanely good thanks to the standard magna-ride suspension. I've never been in a car that handles so well and still has a really good ride quality.

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
Modern pony cars are a lot of fun, but they’re just too big and heavy for my tastes to be a sports car. I had a Camaro SS 1LE and while it was a blast, I merely liked my Camaro vs loving my Supra.

But damn, the Mustang and Camaro are just plain boring looking, outside their top offerings. How the Mustang beat the Supra is beyond me, especially when Ford revised the hood slope and front bumper to accommodate the pedestrian crash standards. It looks….derpy.
The first time I saw the facelifted Mustang I was like "why tf did they make the headlights droop down at the end?", the pre-facelift headlights worked well with the rest of the Mustang's styling, the facelifted ones just looks so awkward.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Hot damn I love those wheels.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I know i/we are biased a little, but the features and amenities only getting a 4??? Other than vented seats, and driving itself, (which the Supra damn near does anyways) I don't know what other features they can really have in it lol. And exterior styling a 5??? And the Mustang a 9?? The Mustang has the same overall lines and look for the last 7 years, it takes more than a bumper cover and rear valance to have one look way different then the eco boost rental car.. I agree with the rest of it except those 2 things. And hahahahahahahah the Z
The fact that the Z is worse than the Supra just disproves the whole mentality of "New Supra would've been better if it was 100% Toyota / Japanese / Nice BMW bro"

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)
Honestly if I were going to spend money on a Mustang, it would be the actual Shelby GT.

https://www.shelby.com/Vehicles/Shelby-GT-2021

To me it's a better look than anything you can buy from the Ford page, plus it's an actual Shelby and not just a name steal (GT500).

ccrook06

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, 2008 FJ
You're entitled to your opinion, but I still say the Mach 1 is visually different enough to know its special. The picture that I posted is the way that most people buy the Mach 1. The base model doesn't differentiate itself nearly as much, so I'll give you that. But if I were buying a Mach 1, it would definitely be a handling and appearance package car. Equipped like that, you get a MUCH more aggressive stance with wider wheels, wider tires, more aggressive offsets, and lower ride height, veey similar to the Shelby cars.

Anyway, losing by a point to a special version Mustang isnt a big deal at all.The Mach 1 is an incredible car for what it is. It's balanced between ride and handling is insanely good thanks to the standard magna-ride suspension. I've never been in a car that handles so well and still has a really good ride quality.
Although the handling & performance package helps to differentiate the Mach 1, I can't say it's enough to tell it apart from other mustangs. I'd even go so far as to say that Shelby's are grouped in with mustangs by most people. Car ppl should be able to tell the difference, but after my experience owning a GT350R the vast majority of the population sees the grille and taillights and think "just a mustang". The ppl who knew what it was were stoked by it, but it doesn't help that GT and ecoboost owners utilize all the aesthetics from upper trim levels to mod theirs. One of the main differentiating factors with the GT350R is the cf wing on the back, which is also utilized by many ecoboost owners lol.

The front splitter on the handling and performance package is hideous tho, that should have definitely affected the appearance ratings.
Sponsored