3.0 or the 3.0 Premium?

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I like the HUD, but it has the same limitation as the same system in my sister’s X5. It only shows navigation visuals for the onboard nav. It doesn’t display next turn info from Google Maps, Waze, Apple Maps, etc...
Yea that would be nifty (I personally prefer google maps) but I can see them not implementing that if it’s not available on bmw. What cars display 3rd party info on their HUDs, do you know?
Sponsored

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Yea that would be nifty (I personally prefer google maps) but I can see them not implementing that if it’s not available on bmw. What cars display 3rd party info on their HUDs, do you know?
No idea - maybe none? Technically not impossible, and just saying as an answer to your question - that’s what I want it to do that it currently doesn’t do.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
No idea - maybe none? Technically not impossible, and just saying as an answer to your question - that’s what I want it to do that it currently doesn’t do.
Understood. Was just curious is this was something that was readily available on other cars with similar price point and Toyota just shrugged and said “f*** it”.

Considering that Toyota has to display “powered by bmw ...” on their Supra connect website I imagine they don’t have many rights to mess with the system overall. I could be wrong though. :dunno:

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Understood. Was just curious is this was something that was readily available on other cars with similar price point and Toyota just shrugged and said “f*** it”.

Considering that Toyota has to display “powered by bmw ...” on their Supra connect website I imagine they don’t have many rights to mess with the system overall. I could be wrong though. :dunno:
No you’re right - it’s basically untouched. Luckily BMW is more advanced than nearly all the other systems, especially where Apple CarPlay is concerned.

Supra CRNA

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR, 2006 Mitsu Lancer Evo 9 RS
def premium over base. what simply did it for me was the red calipers/bigger brakes, apple carplay, HUD and bigger screen. acutally found out about heated seats, other nifty perks after i purchased.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
None that
I have not seen another HUD show google / Apple maps info.

This maybe more related to API on the maps software side. For the car to be able to display turns in the HUD it needs to be able to grab that information from the maps software and have it report out in a predictable / standardized manner.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None that

I have not seen another HUD show google / Apple maps info.

This maybe more related to API on the maps software side. For the car to be able to display turns in the HUD it needs to be able to grab that information from the maps software and have it report out in a predictable / standardized manner.
No I get it. Haven’t dived into the technical specs but I suspect it’s not accessible via the API. Maybe Apple will give that to us in 14...

Supra CRNA

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR, 2006 Mitsu Lancer Evo 9 RS
another interesting tidbit... apple carplay has a monthly subscription fee on the new Z4 vs it being free on the supra.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
another interesting tidbit... apple carplay has a monthly subscription fee on the new Z4 vs it being free on the supra.
Only free for a limited time - I think 4 years?

Supra Guy

First Name
Frans
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
Same from my dealer. Four years free then Toyota will evaluate if they will charge or not.
CarPlay is nice but if you have the navigation and Bluetooth you don’t really need CarPlay. Anyone know how much it would when they do charge?
Sponsored