3rd gen G29 BMW Z4 (2019-202X)

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
I really like the interior screens, I think those have great UI and this interior isn't as bad as I expected. Overall, I think it's nice.

Btw isn't those the wheels we didn't like on the Supra Prototype?
Sponsored

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
The leaks have anything to do with this? Cat was already out of the bag why wait.
Also might be safe to assume the z4 isn’t using the supra engine as it has a redline of about 6500
Looks to be the same as a 340i/standard B58 equipped car. 6500 redline start and 7000 is actual fuel cut. Engine bay however does look strikingly similar to the Supra.

Also, we are indeed getting orange, but perhaps a new matte/semigloss orange...

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Looks to be the same as a 340i/standard B58 equipped car. 6500 redline start and 7000 is actual fuel cut. Engine bay however does look strikingly similar to the Supra.

Also, we are indeed getting orange, but perhaps a new matte/semigloss orange...
Maybe it's a B58 variant but with some changed and added parts to be more efficient?

I'm just curious cause I don't know this well enough. How hard would it be to incorporate a new head design to the engine while keeping the shape of the engine the same?

Thus, this would be aluminum and BMW head, but the Supra block would be CGI and have modified heads but retain the same shape?

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe it's a B58 variant but with some changed and added parts to be more efficient?

I'm just curious cause I don't know this well enough. How hard would it be to incorporate a new head design to the engine while keeping the shape of the engine the same?

Thus, this would be aluminum and BMW head, but the Supra block would be CGI and have modified heads but retain the same shape?
The thing with CGI is that it isn't as simple as just pouring CGI instead of aluminum into the same casting. It would require a significant redesign of the entire block structure. Different ribbing, different coolant passages, diff oil galleries, totally diff machining, etc etc. And as such, I would expect it to be different enough in shape that at least the accessories (B58 Cooling Unit, alternator, etc) would be moved to different places than the aluminum B58. Of course, any inline engine with a big plastic cover looks the same no matter what's underneath, so idk. If it is an aluminum B58 with a different head, then that would certainly have the potential to look very similar to a standard B58. I just don't feel like it's just a head change since its difficult to really change much in a head without also changing the block, especially with BMW's reversed timing design.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
The thing with CGI is that it isn't as simple as just pouring CGI instead of aluminum into the same casting. It would require a significant redesign of the entire block structure. Different ribbing, different coolant passages, diff oil galleries, totally diff machining, etc etc. And as such, I would expect it to be different enough in shape that at least the accessories (B58 Cooling Unit, alternator, etc) would be moved to different places than the aluminum B58. Of course, any inline engine with a big plastic cover looks the same no matter what's underneath, so idk. If it is an aluminum B58 with a different head, then that would certainly have the potential to look very similar to a standard B58. I just don't feel like it's just a head change since its difficult to really change much in a head without also changing the block, especially with BMW's reversed timing design.
As true as that is, there are times where it happens that things end up being very similar mounting-wise. For example the 1UZ/2UZ/3UZ or the LSx.

1UZ/3UZ Aluminum Block:
3uzfe3.jpg

2UZ Iron Block:
dvigatel-toyota-2uz-fe-vid-sboku.jpg

Jeff

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
As true as that is, there are times where it happens that things end up being very similar mounting-wise. For example the 1UZ/2UZ/3UZ or the LSx.

1UZ/3UZ Aluminum Block:
3uzfe3.jpg

2UZ Iron Block:
dvigatel-toyota-2uz-fe-vid-sboku.jpg

Jeff
I'm very much hoping this is the case. Certainly would be a smart design as it would save a ton of money since they wouldn't have to redesign any of the accessory components.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
Alternatively, BMW finally decided to just use the engine Toyota modified in the Z4, or the Goodwood car just used the Z4 engine and it won't be the final production version (even though it has been hinted/said it was).

We just need actual information, haha.

Jeff

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alternatively, BMW finally decided to just use the engine Toyota modified in the Z4, or the Goodwood car just used the Z4 engine and it won't be the final production version (even though it has been hinted/said it was).

We just need actual information, haha.

Jeff
But that would theoretically mean they chose to cap off the redline and not be as equal as Toyota's version of the project?

It could change because of properties and mechanics but it feels weird to use the same engine and not get the same power.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
But that would theoretically mean they chose to cap off the redline and not be as equal as Toyota's version of the project?

It could change because of properties and mechanics but it feels weird to use the same engine and not get the same power.
Could also be that the Toyota gauges are white until you hit 7000 and then the whole thing turns red? Idk, that one frame of the gauges wasn't much to go off of.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
Or the prototype cluster just didn't have a redline on it yet; unlikely, but possible.

Jeff

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Could also be that the Toyota gauges are white until you hit 7000 and then the whole thing turns red? Idk, that one frame of the gauges wasn't much to go off of.
Seems a bit misleading and dangerous. You know people are going to floor the Supra and not clearly listing the redline limit would be a problem.

Unless there isn't a law for vehicles needing to list a redline on the gauges for vehicular safety, I don't think Toyota is going to use that system. If it is indeed a B58 and Toyota B58 like the 1uz and 3uz, that's a clever trick to throw people off their trails.

Or maybe they're just practicing still and seeing where it should end stil?

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Well, this is interesting. The Z4 engine does not have the same valve cover as the standard B58. Different details and the bolts on the Z4 are in circular wells, as opposed to the ribs on the standard B58. Overall similar design, but not the same. So I'd guess at the very least its a B58TU lol.

attachment.jpg

BMW_B58_Article_7.jpg

BMW Z4 engine bay bright.png
Sponsored