6+ minute video of Supra prototype testing in Sweden

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
IIRC can't find it but I think there's a spy pic of the Mule with the Door open.
Sponsored

Novice_Mentality

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Subaru WRX STI, 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2015 Ducati 899 Panigale
no surprise at this point

newrendering2-png.png
I definitely thought that this would be one of the toned down features of this car when I first saw the concept. Good thing it’s not haha

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Anyone else really wondering how that door is going to look? If you look at the light reflecting around 3:03-3:04 off the rear quarter panel you can see that side vent really swoops down far towards the door......I like it
This and the front end of the car are still a big mystery to me. The rear and roof will match the FT-1 (from what I could tell)

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Guys I can't be the only one thinking this but plug in your headphones and listen to the car pass by at the 3:29 mark that gear change sounded slightly imperfect, and slightly slow... and the engagement of the next gear had a slight "warble" to it. Possibly I'm being too hopeful but does anyone else think that could be a manual just from that sound ?

I did notice a lot of arm moving inside

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
no surprise at this point

newrendering2-png.png
Hard to see how the door can be that extreme IRL.

Imagine you pull into a fairly tight parking spot. If the door was relatively flat top to bottom you would have no difficulty seeing how far you can push open that very wide door before you are going to hit the neighbouring car. But if the door is shaped as it is in this rendering you are going to have to stop opening it several inches earlier than your eyes tell you to due to its greater width near the bottom - and lots of people (especially passengers new to the car) and going to forget to do that. Result: door dings out the wazoo.

SupraStew85

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1985 Supra (1jz vvti swap incoming) 2004 V8 4Runner

Imagine you pull into a fairly tight parking spot. If the door was relatively flat top to bottom you would have no difficulty seeing how far you can push open that very wide door before you are going to hit the neighbouring car. But if the door is shaped as it is in this rendering you are going to have to stop opening it several inches earlier than your eyes tell you to due to its greater width near the bottom - and lots of people (especially passengers new to the car) and going to forget to do that. Result: door dings out the wazoo.
Or alternatively you don't park in the middle of the parking lot and avoid door dings all together. Actually better yet lets just remove the doors completely like a jeep so theres no physical way to get a door ding. ;)

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS

which part is extreme? the cut out looks pretty similar to the current z4's doors..

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
which part is extreme? the cut out looks pretty similar to the current z4's doors..
The Z4 does have a protruding horizontal ridge in the lower part of the door, but it doesn't stick out nearly as far as the equivalent area in the Supra render, especially near the door's outer edge where the dings are most likely to occur - in fact on the Z4 the ridge is almost non-existent right at the door edge (see below).

If the production Supra's doors are like those in the render, close parking will never get boring. I predict passengers will be getting full door valet service from the owner when in confined spots to avoid door damage.

2016-BMW-Z4-Design-Exterior.jpg

5840.png

Last edited:

Rotaryrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda RX 8
Vehicle Showcase
My car is always parked at the end of the parking lot where no one else want to park.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
^ I try to do that too, but it really is only possible outside of any metropolitan core. In central Toronto you'll be lucky just to find a parking space.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
The Z4 does have a protruding horizontal ridge in the lower part of the door, but it doesn't stick out nearly as far as the equivalent area in the Supra render, especially near the door's outer edge where the dings are most likely to occur - in fact on the Z4 the ridge is almost non-existent right at the door edge (see below).

If the production Supra's doors are like those in the render, close parking will never get boring. I predict passengers will be getting full door valet service from the owner when in confined spots to avoid door damage.

2016-BMW-Z4-Design-Exterior.jpg

5840.png
it is a challenge in virtually any low slung coupe, no difference really. just stay fit and limber.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Certainly as the driver you'll get accustomed to allowing the extra few inches needed for the bottom-door clearance relative to other coupes. But this car's doors are different enough that unsuspecting passengers, if they aren't cautioned, will occasionally be banging into things because they don't compensate properly. And then there is what the guy who parks tight next to you might do when he gets out.... Still, if it looks great, it may be worth the aggro.

Last edited: