6 point Harness and head restraint preferences

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
Thinking about getting my first harness + head restraint setup ever.

What is everyone using here?

Sparco aluminum vs Steel buckle?
3 inch vs 2 inch?
What brands/models?
Pull up lap belt vs pull down?
Click in vs roll over the bar?
HANS is a must? Club III FHR just as good?
Expensive HANS vs entry level?
HANS sizing?

What I gathered by reading and calling around so far is: (please check for accuracy)

- Aluminium benefit over steel buckle is just weight.
- Pull up lap belt is easier for driver, pull down easier for race support to lock you in.
- 3 inch belts were old design, 2 inch all around is the new thing and safer. (supposedly does not dig in to soft flesh and lock you in by the bone)
- All formula ones are 2 inch but they run very short and might not be long enough to be used in a car.
- You need 2 inch shoulder webbing to fit HANS properly.
- HANS sizing runs small.
- Harness FIA certification is by the year, Sparco won't get new shipment until next year and will label them 2024 start for the FIA cert.
- Brey Krause sub mount does not let sub harness to be separated by a lot, they slide towards the center on the mount? (Maybe this person did not know how to properly attach the harness)
- Momo has a killer red harness on phd racing website... I liked that a lot.
Sponsored

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I use a NecksGen Rev2 Lite head restraint. I love it, I forget I have it on most of the time. Sometimes I literally forget to untether it and almost rip my ears off as I pull my helmet off.

https://necksgen.com/en/head-and-neck-restraints/p4465-rev2-lite

Coupled with a Schroth Profi II six-point harness. The shoulder belts are 3"

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Thinking about getting my first harness + head restraint setup ever.

What is everyone using here?

Sparco aluminum vs Steel buckle?
3 inch vs 2 inch?
What brands/models?
Pull up lap belt vs pull down?
Click in vs roll over the bar?
HANS is a must? Club III FHR just as good?
Expensive HANS vs entry level?
HANS sizing?

What I gathered by reading and calling around so far is: (please check for accuracy)

- Aluminium benefit over steel buckle is just weight.
- Pull up lap belt is easier for driver, pull down easier for race support to lock you in.
- 3 inch belts were old design, 2 inch all around is the new thing and safer. (supposedly does not dig in to soft flesh and lock you in by the bone)
- All formula ones are 2 inch but they run very short and might not be long enough to be used in a car.
- You need 2 inch shoulder webbing to fit HANS properly.
- HANS sizing runs small.
- Harness FIA certification is by the year, Sparco won't get new shipment until next year and will label them 2024 start for the FIA cert.
- Brey Krause sub mount does not let sub harness to be separated by a lot, they slide towards the center on the mount? (Maybe this person did not know how to properly attach the harness)
- Momo has a killer red harness on phd racing website... I liked that a lot.
I would get fitted by the company that sells you your Hans. We have a guy that is at every track event in his trailer (wish I could think of the name) and he is fantastic for getting the size and fitting just right. You shouldn’t have to worry about any of that. Especially at that price 😂. I liked Crow belts for their flexibility, durability and comfort. I went with a 5 point harness but 6 is fine too.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Go to a race shop if you have a bunch of questions. and or sit in a bunch of seats and belt set ups at the track.

If serious- 6 point and hans is a must. These cars are pretty fast and no sense skimping on safety.

I Have sparco belts and this hans
HANS Performance Head and Neck Restraint Systems NAK 18337.31 SFI
Sponsored