6MT vibration/rattle sound from shifter in 2nd to 3rd gear...

Lonestar_Nomad

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘23 GR Supra Premium MT
So just to update everyone who's contributed so far... "smacking" the top of the shift knob downwards has helped a little bit. I can occasionally still hear it in third gear but the rattle is significantly less. I'm inclined to REALLY smack the thing down with a lot more force, but I'm a bit nervous to do so. Any potential damage I can do? Anyone have any photos of the actual shifter assembly?
It’s certainly possible you could break it if you really give it the beans. If you’re still having some rattles after a good attempt at seating it, you may have something else going on. You could easily rule it out by just removing the knob from the equation completely and checking if the rattle still occurs.
Sponsored

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
You're not going to break anything by hitting it unless you use a hammer and/or are Thor.

If you want to compare to mine, I just got my car here and will be at the San Clemente CnC this Saturday.

I do have an AutoSolutions SSK but I have no noises going into gear.

OP
OP
PowerGetter

PowerGetter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24' 45th Anni Supra 3.0 6MT, 23' Subaru Ascent
For those interested, I took my car into the dealership. They were able to verify the issue and identified that that lever-assembly wasn't pressed in correctly from the factory. The car only has 1,200 miles on it. The tech informed me he could fix it, but Toyota HQ/corporate wanted to replace the entire shift assembly. It took three days for the parts to come in and a little under two hours for the tech to install the replacement parts.

No more rattle. Pushed it fairly hard in all gears to induce as much vibration as possible and still no rattle. woohoo!

FlammasWRLD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 NB Miata - 2024 Red 3.0 Premium MT - Ninja400
For those interested, I took my car into the dealership. They were able to verify the issue and identified that that lever-assembly wasn't pressed in correctly from the factory. The car only has 1,200 miles on it. The tech informed me he could fix it, but Toyota HQ/corporate wanted to replace the entire shift assembly. It took three days for the parts to come in and a little under two hours for the tech to install the replacement parts.

No more rattle. Pushed it fairly hard in all gears to induce as much vibration as possible and still no rattle. woohoo!
Mine has started making this same noise recently at 2488 miles. It doesn't do it for nearly as long though. I am now worried mine has the same issue. Will definitely take it to a dealer sometime this year to have them check.
Sponsored