A91 factory mounted spoiler flaw

Midlifecrisis

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium - White
I’m an engineer that works extensively with composites & plastics. I doubt this will completely go away once unloaded. Under stress, polymers exhibit what’s called creep over time (metals do this too but only at high temperatures ). My guess is they will have to replace the hatch to fix this - Hopefully I’m wrong.
Sponsored

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
I was under the impression that the rear hatch lid was actually a plastic composite and not steel. Not sure where I read that, but I would imagine if it's actually a composite, it would have a better chance of regaining it's original shape if the stress were relieved.
Yes read someplace that rear deck lid is composite, hood (and front fenders?) is aluminum.

OP
OP

st4ge

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal A91
Yeah it for sure is composite. There were pieces of the drill out in the inner trim still. As a follow up, I loosened the bolts (they honestly weren’t very tight) and nothing happened. The waves are were each of the 4 nuts are. They either over tightened it and ruined it and then loosened them up, or the drill outs are too small or something and the bolts are tweaking the plastic or something similar. Somethings tweaked somewhere - The material is crazy soft, you’d have to be pretty careful with bolts not to cause some sort of deformation. I haven’t seen how it’s constructed, but there would have to be something on the spoiler side that touches the deck lid for it not to deform..plastic washers or something. The bolts were barely over finger tight. Going to see dealership momentarily and see what they have to say.
Sponsored