Aftermarket turbo install, what now?

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all. I have some questions about what’s next after installing an aftermarket turbo like a DAW Ultra Flow R or a Pure 800 or 850.

I know that any of these upgraded turbos need a tune but I want to know if it’s safe to drive the car until I get one? For example what if I can’t get a hold of a tuner right away, or if the process takes a few weeks? Can I drive the car and is it safe to do that and not mess up the new turbo? I’m on BM3 so can I use an OTS tune in the meantime? Should I already have a tuner lined up before even installing the turbo? Let me know because of all the install videos I’ve watched, no one really talks about what to do next immediately after install.

Thanks.
Sponsored

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Fine to drive around as long as you don't go WOT. You could even go WOT but I wouldn't make it a habit.

Anyone that says you can't drive around normally with it has zero idea of what they are talking about.

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Fine to drive around as long as you don't go WOT. You could even go WOT but I wouldn't make it a habit.

Anyone that says you can't drive around normally with it has zero idea of what they are talking about.
What about when I do get a custom tune for the turbo? I assume the tuner will want me to do some pulls, send logs, etc. but is it okay to go WOT without causing damage to the turbo or engine because the car is untuned to the new turbo yet? Like will the turbo send too much air and blow the engine? I hope my questions makes sense. My only custom tuning experience is with Jesse DaBears when I had a JB4 so I wasn't worried about the stock turbo or engine getting damaged since it had the "factory" tune.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
What about when I do get a custom tune for the turbo? I assume the tuner will want me to do some pulls, send logs, etc. but is it okay to go WOT without causing damage to the turbo or engine because the car is untuned to the new turbo yet? Like will the turbo send too much air and blow the engine? I hope my questions makes sense. My only custom tuning experience is with Jesse DaBears when I had a JB4 so I wasn't worried about the stock turbo or engine getting damaged since it had the "factory" tune.
If the tuner gives you an appropriate base map you should be fine.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
New turbo, factory tune = drive gently and try to stay out of boost completely. Still drivable.

New turbo, base map = do what your tuner tells you, probably WOT a few times to get data

New turbo, final tune = send it whenever

Last edited:

_Sp1ral0ut

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tahoe, Razor E100
New turbo, factory tune = drive gently and try to stay out of boost completely. Still drivable.

New turbo, base map = so what your tuner tells you, probably WOT a few times to get data

New turbo, final tune = send it whenever
Sooooo, in other words install new turbo without a tune and full send at every red light.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
You don't have to stay out of boost completely. If you know the tables at play you will agree. If you don't, you just parrot.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
You don't have to stay out of boost completely. If you know the tables at play you will agree. If you don't, you just parrot.
Hybrid turbo/factory gate, yup (which I know this thread is about). But once you swap out the factory gate, you should probably avoid boost. I just don't want people to read this thread, and be like 6870 with 30psi springs, imma send this bitch.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Hybrid turbo/factory gate, yup (which I know this thread is about). But once you swap out the factory gate, you should probably avoid boost. I just don't want people to read this thread, and be like 6870 with 30psi springs, imma send this bitch.
Lol, of course.

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
As always, thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated. I’m gonna order that turbo now that I’m more confident that nothing bad will happen until I get the tune.
Sponsored