Alignment experiments?

JAhmed

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0
Hey all

I was going to post this as a response to one of the bump steer threads in the track sub-forum, but thought that perhaps this discussion would interest the general board. Obviously, the whole bump steer thing has been discussed at length in regards to this car, but I have been wondering if anyone tried to adjust their alignment settings WITHOUT modifying the suspension and ascertained any difference? Specifically, I thought that perhaps you could dial in some static toe-in at the rear, leave the rest of the car alone and negate some the deflection at the rear of the car (at the expense of the tire, of course).

This is mostly in response to my personal perception of how this car behaves...I've tracked my 2021 car twice and actually did not find its behavior too annoying on my smooth local tracks...its on the street where the car scares me a bit. At first I thought it was just me (I've tracked and daily driven 911 variants for the last 3 years...figured I had just forgotten what a front engine car feels like), but the more I drive this car hard on the street, the more its deflection on bumps under load becomes evident. I know many have discussed bump steer when UNloading the rear (under braking), but I find the car quite easily unsettled when accelerating hard as well.

I know many have already modified their cars, but mine is still stock...and I kinda want to play with the alignment in its current state and see if it helps. Has anyone tried this out?
Sponsored

MARKSTI

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 SUPRA
Hey all

I was going to post this as a response to one of the bump steer threads in the track sub-forum, but thought that perhaps this discussion would interest the general board. Obviously, the whole bump steer thing has been discussed at length in regards to this car, but I have been wondering if anyone tried to adjust their alignment settings WITHOUT modifying the suspension and ascertained any difference? Specifically, I thought that perhaps you could dial in some static toe-in at the rear, leave the rest of the car alone and negate some the deflection at the rear of the car (at the expense of the tire, of course).

This is mostly in response to my personal perception of how this car behaves...I've tracked my 2021 car twice and actually did not find its behavior too annoying on my smooth local tracks...its on the street where the car scares me a bit. At first I thought it was just me (I've tracked and daily driven 911 variants for the last 3 years...figured I had just forgotten what a front engine car feels like), but the more I drive this car hard on the street, the more its deflection on bumps under load becomes evident. I know many have discussed bump steer when UNloading the rear (under braking), but I find the car quite easily unsettled when accelerating hard as well.

I know many have already modified their cars, but mine is still stock...and I kinda want to play with the alignment in its current state and see if it helps. Has anyone tried this out?
Front and rear toe are adjustable on a stock car.

Suspension tuning for bump steer is overrated on these cars, focus more on front and rear camber and front caster plus sway bars

OP
OP
JAhmed

JAhmed

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0
Front and rear toe are adjustable on a stock car.

Suspension tuning for bump steer is overrated on these cars, focus more on front and rear camber and front caster plus sway bars
I am aware the toe is adjustable, hence my asking if anyone had made this type of change.
Unfortunately, not sure the changes you’ve described will help mitigate the behavior I’m referring to.