Any interest in guide to doing ISTEP update yourself?

Tsuki8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 3.0 AZ BM3 E50 WMI
Does ISTA care about CEL(DP related)? I'm no sure if there will be any issues due to that.
Also, is a steady wifi connection required during update, or is it all local to the PC?
The newer versions don't care as much, just clear codes before updating.
WiFi is optional I believe, only for FSC activation (adding/retrofitting functionality) and reporting.
Update process is all local to PC/Laptop.

Any update on the extraction?
Its S18T-23-11-542.
Sponsored

Last edited:

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
The newer versions don't care as much, just clear codes before updating.
WiFi is optional I believe, only for FSC activation (adding/retrofitting functionality) and reporting.
Update process is all local to PC/Laptop.
Perfect, I'm going to try it this week. I believe my car has the OG factory version, because I'm pretty sure my toyota dealership lied about doing the recall. I took it in a year ago for the recall, and when I got it back it still had all of my presets and bimmercode settings. Absolutely no difference. I questioned them and they insisted they performed it, but after looking at reviews it appeared they were notorious for lying about working on cars. I then took it to another dealership so they can verify if the recall was actually done, but they said they don't know how to do that......

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just finished the update, and it's easy as the others mentioned! The only confusing part for me was understanding Techstream, but after that everything was pretty straightforward.
1000053414.jpg

I used the recommended Powermax charger and monitored the voltage. In my case, I did notice the voltage dropped below 13, but gladly that was before I started the update. 1 hour before, I left the charger connected and monitored it to ensure it wouldn't fluctuate, and after a few tweaks it stayed at ~13.6v
1000053407.jpg

Once the update starts, you'll hear the car making some weird noises but it's all part of the process. Update took around 30 minutes. After that I took the car for a quick spin. I didn't feel much of a difference, but I only drove the car for 5 minutes. Tomorrow I'll definitely test how it feels.

Overall easy process, just make sure to monitor the voltage

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
The only confusing part for me was understanding Techstream,
Yup, Techstream is a pile of garbage that probably hasn't been updated since 1992, or they hired @concept and some other boomerz to build it last year.

So... did your dealer lie and you didn't have the update? What was your ISTEP version?

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So... did your dealer lie and you didn't have the update? What was your ISTEP version?
The previous version was S18T-21-07-519, which seems to be post-recall. I took the car in mid 2023, so I would've expected them update it to the latest version at that time. I'm still sure they lied, since the car still had all my presets and bimmercode stuff afterwards. Also, I bought my car used in April 2022, so now I suspect that the previous owner did the recall. What I don't understand is why did they call me saying I have a recall, just to not do anything.

Whatever the truth may be, I'm not trusting dealerships anymore.

Kennith82

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
I'd recommend using Toyota GTS if anyone faces any struggles with Techstream. Not sure if it's any different, but all I really had to do is register as an "independent repairer".

I contacted through the toyota-tech website and they said just to choose Albania from the country options when you launch GTS+. Your real country is stored in the profile you make anyway.

Again, not sure if it's any easier than Techstream, but with GTS+ all I really had to do was install the program, and log in with the toyota-tech account. After that, installed ISTA+ and it ran just fine. PSdZData is in the ISTAJ29 folder instead of the ISPI folder, if you plan on using ESYS.

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Drove the car today and I feel a difference. Maybe it's placebo, but I feel like the car's slightly less jerky. It feels more a bit responsive when accelerating from a dead stop. Downshifts are definitely smoother. Haven't experienced any hesitation yet.

Overall, I haven't seen a difference on the Head Unit. No new settings. I saw a couple new things on the maps, but who uses that anyways? The one thing that makes no sense to me is that my Android Auto MMI is a lot faster now. How can it be faster if it's its own separate hardware with a screen pass-through? No idea why that worked, but no complaints at all! I read from a thread that a person noticed a sound quality difference; I find it to be the same as before.

I'll keep an eye out for anything new that I notice

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I'd recommend using Toyota GTS if anyone faces any struggles with Techstream. Not sure if it's any different, but all I really had to do is register as an "independent repairer".

I contacted through the toyota-tech website and they said just to choose Albania from the country options when you launch GTS+. Your real country is stored in the profile you make anyway.

Again, not sure if it's any easier than Techstream, but with GTS+ all I really had to do was install the program, and log in with the toyota-tech account. After that, installed ISTA+ and it ran just fine. PSdZData is in the ISTAJ29 folder instead of the ISPI folder, if you plan on using ESYS.
GTS+ is techstream basically. GTS = GlobalTechStream, and yes, you just need to configure it, then it's ISTA from there on.

Tsuki8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 3.0 AZ BM3 E50 WMI
New version!
Toyota ISTA:
VersionBMW iDrive
4.34.41S18T-22-03-535 (March 2022)
4.37.31S18T-22-07-550 (July 2022)
4.39.34S18T-22-11-553 (November 2022)
4.42.31S18T-23-07-505 (July 2023)
4.44.32S18T-23-11-530 (November 2023)
4.45.34S18T-23-11-542 (November 2023)
4.46.43S18T-24-03-519 (March 2024)

Last edited:

lolinternets

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MT Renaissance Red
Interested in going through all this and updating the software. I do have a question for those of you who have done this. Does ISTA allow you to code/program new modules to the car? For example is this the same software that the dealership would use to program a new ecu to the car?

Kennith82

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
lolinternets said:
Interested in going through all this and updating the software. I do have a question for those of you who have done this. Does ISTA allow you to code/program new modules to the car? For example is this the same software that the dealership would use to program a new ecu to the car?
Not 100% sure but I think the version of Toyota ISTA is the one only used for diagnostics. I'm pretty sure you'd need to use ESYS. However, that's my only experience. I couldn't find the coding options usually available in BMW ISTA. I've used ESYS to get a second hand cluster to work.

lolinternets

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MT Renaissance Red
Not 100% sure but I think the version of Toyota ISTA is the one only used for diagnostics. I'm pretty sure you'd need to use ESYS. However, that's my only experience. I couldn't find the coding options usually available in BMW ISTA. I've used ESYS to get a second hand cluster to work.
Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m wondering, if this version of Toyota ISTA would let me get a cluster or ecu to work. I donā€™t want to ever deal with Toyota service ever and rather just do everything myself.
Sponsored