EvilMKV

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tundra TRD Pro, 2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
Ok, so seems maybe 0w30 isnt an issue. Guess I'll research some more of what to make the switch to, if anything. Was looking at the oil change kits offered by FCP euro and saw a lot recommending the 5w30 oil.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Do we really need another oil thread?

I've been using 5w-40 in my Supra since 1,500 miles. 24 track days. Oil reports come back fine.

The Supra GT4 also uses 5w-40
No we don't BUT oil specs keep changing. The latest SP grade oil is the one to use for a DI engine but I've found it's not readily available yet in grades over XW-30. May well be in the future. I've been using Mobil1 0W-40 for 16 year in just about every vehicle I own including track bikes but I don't think it's SP rated yet.

Phil

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
No reason not to other than letting the Net nannies scare you. Change to 5w-30 and send itā€¦šŸŽšŸ”„

-RJM
I did a tour of the BMW 3 series factory in Munich back in the mid 80's. I had a friend that worked for BMW as a supervisor in the plant that made the press tools for stamping out body panels.
Here's how a 3 series rolled off the production line back then. Driven off the line after the last task, wheel alignment and straight into the rolling road room, one of quite a few. Doors close and rollers ascend out of the floor. Technician accelerates the car ( manual) through the gears at WOT and hits around 180 kph ( there was a large screen just outside the drivers door displaying data including road speed etc. He holds it wide open for maybe 30 seconds as he ticks off his checklist of interior stuff to make sure it works then gets off the gas, bangs it down through the gears with the old 3 series bouncing off the side rollers and hits the brakes firmly to test them out. The rollers then retract and it's driven out of the rolling road room to end up at the new owners home somewhere in the world that's sweating on not exceeding the manufacturers running in rpm or driving directions. Pretty funny I thought.

Phil

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
I did a tour of the BMW 3 series factory in Munich back in the mid 80's. I had a friend that worked for BMW as a supervisor in the plant that made the press tools for stamping out body panels.
Here's how a 3 series rolled off the production line back then. Driven off the line after the last task, wheel alignment and straight into the rolling road room, one of quite a few. Doors close and rollers ascend out of the floor. Technician accelerates the car ( manual) through the gears at WOT and hits around 180 kph ( there was a large screen just outside the drivers door displaying data including road speed etc. He holds it wide open for maybe 30 seconds as he ticks off his checklist of interior stuff to make sure it works then gets off the gas, bangs it down through the gears with the old 3 series bouncing off the side rollers and hits the brakes firmly to test them out. The rollers then retract and it's driven out of the rolling road room to end up at the new owners home somewhere in the world that's sweating on not exceeding the manufacturers running in rpm or driving directions. Pretty funny I thought.

Phil
I love watching these videos on Youtube of car production lines, including the final rollers process you mentioned.

Can I ask then since you are knowledgeable, why in your opinion do they do this?

Why is it ok to do at the factory, but they recommend not to for customers?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I love watching these videos on Youtube of car production lines, including the final rollers process you mentioned.

Can I ask then since you are knowledgeable, why in your opinion do they do this?

Why is it ok to do at the factory, but they recommend not to for customers?
Fuel savings, legal, one size fits all. I get it.

If I never varied from OEM Iā€™d have a lot shorter track days. Brake pads, tires, you name it. Lot of common sense can go a long way for individual use. This applies to more than just vehicles ;)

Joebednar4

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
So many people going against manufacturer recommended oil viscosities just because they ā€œfeelā€ the recommended oil is too thin because they do occasional autocross or track days.

Iā€™ll start by saying I have no problem with anyone using whatever oil or other products they want in their vehicle. That said, I think changing oil viscosity based on ā€œfeelingsā€ or anecdotal Internet comments is a waste. The recommended oil viscosity is selected based on the bearing clearances and oil flow characteristics specified for the engine. Unless youā€™ve changed engine internals or seen through oil analysis that your oil is shearing down to a lower viscosity then I donā€™t really see a need to change oil viscosity on a stock engine. Even if you do, itā€™s probably better to change it before and after each track session if youā€™re really pushing the powertrain since you could do oil analysis to get early warning signs of excessive wear, damage, or how well your selected oil is performing.
You left out recommended oil viscosity due to epa regulated mpg. 0W/16 is a direct result of needing higher mpg to meet regulations. 0W/20 isn't far off of that. Spinning a crankshaft through 5W/40 takes significantly more power than spinning it through 0W/20. Likely the cause of peoples lower mpg after changing. To be fair, too, this action of changing oil recommendations pre-dates the MK1 Supra and plenty of other cars. Hod Rodders and builders have been doing it forever. The chances that it has anything to do with valve clearances are very slim...like valve clearances, lol.

CrimsonSupra

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
You left out recommended oil viscosity due to epa regulated mpg. 0W/16 is a direct result of needing higher mpg to meet regulations. 0W/20 isn't far off of that. Spinning a crankshaft through 5W/40 takes significantly more power than spinning it through 0W/20. Likely the cause of peoples lower mpg after changing. To be fair, too, this action of changing oil recommendations pre-dates the MK1 Supra and plenty of other cars. Hod Rodders and builders have been doing it forever. The chances that it has anything to do with valve clearances are very slim...like valve clearances, lol.
Regardless of the EPA, engine engineering and oil formulation as well as viscosity go hand in hand.

There are many valid reasons for running different viscosities, but ā€œbecause x viscosity is like waterā€ or because ā€œgrand pappy ran 60w in his hot rodded Ford Flatheadā€ are not objective arguments. Thatā€™s about the extent of many comments around the ā€œbest oilā€ though.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
So if oil has gotten thinner due to EPA requirements, then why wouldnā€™t vehicle manufacturers design and build their engines to the oil spec needed to meet those requirements?

šŸ¤”

OP
OP
EvilMKV

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tundra TRD Pro, 2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
The more I read, the more I think I'll just switch to Liquid Moly 6660 0w20 and if a track day is coming up, I'll just make sure it's got a fresh oil change before hand like I usually do.

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
The more I read, the more I think I'll just switch to Liquid Moly 6660 0w20 and if a track day is coming up, I'll just make sure it's got a fresh oil change before hand like I usually do.
brake fluid will have greater importance. also, both clutch and brake fluid share the same reservoir. get some react srf in there

Joebednar4

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Regardless of the EPA, engine engineering and oil formulation as well as viscosity go hand in hand.

There are many valid reasons for running different viscosities, but ā€œbecause x viscosity is like waterā€ or because ā€œgrand pappy ran 60w in his hot rodded Ford Flatheadā€ are not objective arguments. Thatā€™s about the extent of many comments around the ā€œbest oilā€ though.
Lmao, seriously? Love your passive aggressive dickery there, but you've literally added nothing to this conversation besides "read the manual". So incredibly helpful you. Bet you're a ton of fun at parties.
Sponsored