Anyone know if Android Auto can be retrofitted to the iDrive system in A90 Supra?

cvondra

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2021 BMW X6 M50i
They got me straightened out. Thx.

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
Bumping this. I want to get a head unit out of a total'd car to do some reverse engineering. Hoping to pay significantly less than MSRP for the part, it can be broken screen, doesn't matter, just needs to boot up still (to any screen at all). My thoughts are:

1. Android Auto is just h264 video + PCM streaming, with touch events over protobuf. One could probably write a client for the current head unit to do this, especially since carplay is supported (so the h264+PCM streaming touch events part is done, just need to implement the protobuf comms).
2. To do this, need to dump firmware of current head unit and reverse engineer how carplay is implemeneted.
3. Need to see if flashing of customized headunit firmware is possible. Might not be. If it isn't, then 4:
4. Find a bug in the USB, bluetooth, 802.11 stack, or communications to other parts of the car that allows you to "jailbreak" your headunit.

Few months project, probably, after I get a head unit torn apart and firmware dumped.
Did you happen to get a chance to start looking into this?
Sponsored