AutoSolutions Short Shifter Initial Overview Video

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
Hola, I've been meaning to create this thread for a while but I got busy and my car is stored for winter because I live in the hellscape that is New England.

TL;DR:

Anyways, here is the overall video going over the kit, a brief install overview, why I decided to work with Ron to build this for this platform, and ultimately my thoughts on it overall.

I don't do YouTube or anything creative like this so while I had the raw footage, a group of folks made the video for me.

Please excuse any cringe or whatever, I didn't have much of a say with this one but I will be more involved in future ones I hope haha.

Remember to like, comment, and subscribe! (I had to šŸ˜†)

If you don't wanna watch all 12 minutes, here's a short comparison (haha get it?).

Rambling:

Alright where to begin?

Well, it's no surprise to me or anyone that owns an A90 Supra that it's mostly a BMW product.

That has it's own pros and cons.

A con is that BMW historically does not manufacture the greatest or most confidence inspiring shifters.

Personally, I did not even consider this car unless a manual was offered.

While the initial reviews of the shifter were positive, I went in VERY reserved because I don't believe in journalism hype.

I've been in M cars for over a decade, closer to a second one, but this is no M car.

Honestly, I was surprised by the shifter in the A90 Supra. It's the best factory effort in a mostly BMW product.

Now I know the naysayers are going to be up in arms about how Toyota engineers did X,Y, and Z.

Yea they did that using BMW/Magna parts. Remember this is a joint venture product, I'm almost 99% positive the same gearbox and linkage is going into the Z4.

The only thing that's traditionally different from a BMW product is the shift knob. It has less weight and it's lower in the car from the get go.

In BMW's of the past you'd have to buy a ZHP knob and wait for bushings/synchros to wear out before realizing it wasn't the knob that did anything at all.

Here's where Ron from AutoSolutions comes in.

A close friend of mine in a E86 Z4 M Coupe was tired of getting gear lockout in 2nd gear. The E86 Z4 M ran a ZF 6 speed instead of the Getrag 420G because the trans tunnel in the Coupe was too narrow.

He had Ron build him a kit and I got to drive the car in 2010.

I was hooked.

Slick shifting, you can feel each gate, smooth engagement, notchy but in a good way, reminiscent of a Porsche GT product.

Ever since, EVERY single M car I own has had an AutoSolutions SSK installed.

Transforms the experience IMHO.

Now this A90 Supra, well the shifter was good, I'd say it's about 50% of the way there to where the AutoSolutions is.

But is it worth the change?

Well, yes.

One of the first things I did was delete the CDV during my break in oil change. Thanks to member @Spart for the help and guidance on what E90 parts to procure.

That helped immensely as it always does on BMW manuals.

However now with the clutch pedal being more linear, the shifter was lacking, and what it lacked was precision.

At 1300 miles on the clock on my A91-MT I made the decision to call Ron, who has been above all, a great friend.

I let him know I wanted this kit made, I didn't even care if it was just for me. Obviously that's not good for business so after some back and forth, he agreed to build a jig for it, IF I was able to procure the factory shifter assembly he could take measurements off of.

Usually, this is no problem.

But with this car, we have issues getting parts from Toyota efficiently.

I went to a dealer and asked to buy the assembly and was told there was no ETA on getting the stuff.

So I went to eBay.

I found a seller parting out a CULG A91-MT and I purchased the assembly from them and had that directly shipped to Ron.

A few weeks later and hours of back and forth on what would make sense being that I was the end user, we decided on a game plan.

Specs:

3 adjustable heights for the level with the middle position being closest to stock (I'm running this)
Works with any BMW shift knob (Duh)
More precise feeling and easier to get into each gear
Audible click
Stiffer poly trans bushings
Almost zero slop
Slightly more effort
Reduction in throws by about 15-25% depending on height selected

Installation:

It's not a tough thing to DIY, I've DIY'd AutoSolutions SSK's on plenty of BMW's in the past but it will take an entire afternoon or day depending on how skilled you are.

It's a tight space so having a lift is ideal but not necessary.

I worked with my local shop to install the kit, took their Master Tech about 2 hours to get the thing in.

Overall:

I was chasing a GT3 feeling shifter in this car.

This is the closest we can get without making some serious sacrifices.

I'm sure CAE and Coolerworx will release kits for this car soon.

However they do not work with the OE knobs, look very out of place if the car is a street car, make a ton of noise, need constant adjustments, cost a lot more, tougher to install, and long term can cause wear to the transmission (Bimmerworld did a study on chassis mounted SSK's on BMW transmissions, you can find it).

The jig is made. 6 kits were made in total, all have been sold.

These are made to order, so expect a waiting time.

Ron hand makes these kits so it's worth the wait.

Let me know on any questions!
Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
Thanks! Looks like the video includes some details on install which will be helpful to me on making the decision whether to get one as I'll likely be installing it myself. I will have to check it out later.

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Veloster N, 2024 Stratosphere MT
My first BMW, are their MT known to have 2nd gear lockout? Iā€™ve noticed sometimes when I try to downshift to 2nd I canā€™t get it in gear. Does this fix that?

Also, when putting it into gear, does it feel like there is a "hard stop" rather than hitting mush?

Last edited:

UYCR

First Name
Ubec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT
Huge thanks on the detailed video. I like the option of adjusting the height. I would likely run the lowest setting just to give me the shortest throw. Now I just gotta order one so I can install it when I do the exhaust.

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner
My first BMW, are their MT known to have 2nd gear lockout? Iā€™ve noticed sometimes when I try to downshift to 2nd I canā€™t get it in gear. Does this fix that?
This is my 4th BMW manual and I've never experienced that including on this car.

sup.dc2

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5mt. DC2. T4R. e46
awesome write up and review. had some questions for ya.

Specs:

Stiffer poly trans bushings
any increased noise from the transmission with the stiffer bushings?
any chance of having an option for one with a 12x1.25 / 12x 1.5 threaded end for an even larger option of shiftknobs?

thanks in advanced

OP
OP
Sharocks

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Also, when putting it into gear, does it feel like there is a "hard stop" rather than hitting mush?
It's a BMW ZF gearbox thing. And yes BMW's are notorious for this.

I have not had any issues whatsoever getting into any gear after this kit has been installed.

For reference, the stock setup locked me out of 2nd gear twice and I was on the phone with Ron.

When it goes into gear, you feel it, and it feels very solid, kinda like hitting a wall.

OP
OP
Sharocks

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
awesome write up and review. had some questions for ya.

any increased noise from the transmission with the stiffer bushings?
any chance of having an option for one with a 12x1.25 / 12x 1.5 threaded end for an even larger option of shiftknobs?

thanks in advanced
Thanks!

There is a little bit of NVH from them. It's not crazy but if the car is just idling with no music or HVAC on you can hear it very faintly.

Ron only does BMW specific shifters so the option would be to 3D print a BMW to whatever adapter in your use case.

OP
OP
Sharocks

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Excellent review! I love how it sounds like it "clicks" into gear.
Thanks homie! Sorry it took so long to get this out!

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for the info!

Do you think you could set up a forum group buy?

UYCR

First Name
Ubec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT
This is my 4th BMW manual and I've never experienced that including on this car.
I'd say you are either very lucky or not rowing through gears fast enough. It has happened to me a few times but only when trying to shift quickly like launching from a standstill or slow rolling start. No issues during casual driving thankfully.

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner
I'd say you are either very lucky or not rowing through gears fast enough. It has happened to me a few times but only when trying to shift quickly like launching from a standstill or slow rolling start. No issues during casual driving thankfully.
He's specifically talking about downshifting into 2nd.

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
He's specifically talking about downshifting into 2nd.
I think any shift into 2nd can be affected. What happens is when you try to shift to second but the shift goes into the reverse column. This can be due to a vague feel, hard shifting, etc.