First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
Hello fellow forum-goers,

I have some good news from the land of blown turbos solenoids, dead water pumps, snapped crank hubs, and failing high pressure fuel pumps!

Recently, the B58 DME (Digital Motor Electronics/ECU/Computer that controls the motor and has encryption) has finally had a large influx of tuning software solutions. For some time, there were several companies that had been developing tunes and released them to the public. However, none of these earlier companies gained much traction for a number of reasons. There were whispers and rumors of companies developing tunes that developed over the course of several months, and it seems that they have finally come to fruition.

I would argue the two most reputable players are currently proTUNING Freaks and MHD Tuning. These two have been huge players in the past. They both were very common on N55, N63, S55, and S63 powered cars.

Currently, proTUNING has a closed beta for their program, bootmod3. MHD is about to launch their closed beta for their program, MHD. bootmod3 is currently supported on iOS, Android, and Windows. MHD in the past was only supported on Android devices, and it does not seem likely to change (This can be easily circumvented by running a reputable Android emulator). On the older platforms, MHD was often used in conjunction with Burger Motorsport's JB4 as a BEF (Back-End Flash). This allows the JB4 to essentially have full control over the motor, which can allow for things meth injection, two-step, port fuel injection, extra safeties, etc.

So far, the results for bootmod3 seem very positive. There have been reports of large gains across the board, including the B48. The most exciting news to me comes from a M240i located in Colombia (Fly_M240i on instagram). This car is running a stock bottom end, old revision B58. It currently makes 670whp on a BigBoost Stage 3 turbo, backed by a JB4 and bootmod3 BEF on the ZF8HP50. It just ran a 11.06 @ 132 mph/212 kmh.

Nobody knows how much of this will be transferable to the TU revision of the B58, but I am certain that this engine will break a lot of hearts.

If anybody wants see more, I attached some links.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1583722
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1582867
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1588149
https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55958
https://www.instagram.com/fly_m240i/

This should probably be moved, my bad.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I will start reading the links right after this, but I'll go ahead and preemptively ask, did they figure out the factory Fuel Pressure Failsafe stuff yet? If I recall correctly, the BMW DME would trigger a failsafe mode (or at least a cut of some sort) when it detected that rail pressure dropped below a certain threshold, which was occurring when tuners were pushing the injector duty cycle higher, especially with E85. Hence why the Bimmer Boys tend to run Meth Injection kits as opposed to running E85. I am quite partial to E85 myself, and don't really like the added hassle of WMI.

OP
OP
kona61

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I will start reading the links right after this, but I'll go ahead and preemptively ask, did they figure out the factory Fuel Pressure Failsafe stuff yet? If I recall correctly, the BMW DME would trigger a failsafe mode (or at least a cut of some sort) when it detected that rail pressure dropped below a certain threshold, which was occurring when tuners were pushing the injector duty cycle higher, especially with E85. Hence why the Bimmer Boys tend to run Meth Injection kits as opposed to running E85. I am quite partial to E85 myself, and don't really like the added hassle of WMI.
So there is conflicting information with that actually.
I think the fuel pressure cap you are referring to is the IPW cap, injector pulse width, which is essentially just limiting the maximum amount of fuel that the ECU will allow the injectors to cycle.

On the contrary, Mission Performance claims that it was a torque limit within the transmission that was limiting power, and they supposedly bypassed it.

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56369

Either way, people have managed to get past it. It could be a band-aid on the issue, or they have completely solved it. I would probably put my money on the IPW limit as the 6MT has the same issue.

Right now, Big Boost makes a throttle body injector that can supplement the DI but I hear it doesn't run particularly well. In the past, people would add port injectors on a spacer between the intake and cylinder head, similar to Toyota's D4-S. These would be controlled by a JB4 with a BEF. That works very well, and can support E85.

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I just wonder how much more power can be squeezed out from the B48 engine, even after flashing the ECU.:hmm:

I believe there would be no problem flashing the ECU of the award-winning B58 engine since itā€™s built for the enthusiasts, where there will be huge aftermarket support. Bigger engine also means that it can handle more load and pressure from the stock motor(even after tuning).

OP
OP
kona61

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just wonder how much more power can be squeezed out from the B48 engine, even after flashing the ECU.:hmm:

I believe there would be no problem flashing the ECU of the award-winning B58 engine since itā€™s built for the enthusiasts, where there will be huge aftermarket support. Bigger engine also means that it can handle more load and pressure from the stock motor(even after tuning).
Currently they have made 300whp out of the B48. As much as a stock 58.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
B58 Beta for MHD is closed beta right now. OTS maps have pretty much been completed and there should be an update shortly. Im doing my own in house BETA for my custom tuning clients on the B58 but i work very closely with MHD.

Speaking as for PI, for those wanting to really max the turbo and go beyond, PI is the way to go. I'll be doing Direct port Meth kits and possible PI kits as well on these, as soon as we take delivery. Looking forward to the New Supra. The B58 is very capable, and is a better engine entirely than the N55 you find in the M2's and etc. So the Supra will be a heavy hitter just like its predecessor IMO.

OP
OP
kona61

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is this on 91 octane? Iā€™m trying how to get 400 whp with basic CA fuel
We are going to have trouble going above 450whp. I think some have managed that on Cali's 91 octane, but any more power and you will start knocking on a hot day.

Powaup

First Name
Clyde
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Youtube.com
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra
Is that with stock turbos? I wonder if there is more power to be had by switching exhaust, cold air intake and other bolt ons
We are going to have trouble going above 450whp. I think some have managed that on Cali's 91 octane, but any more power and you will start knocking on a hot day.

OP
OP
kona61

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is that with stock turbos? I wonder if there is more power to be had by switching exhaust, cold air intake and other bolt ons
Intakes don't do anything other than make the B58 a little louder, exhaust doesn't either. the only restrictive parts would be the catalytic converter and the upcoming exhaust filter.
Sponsored