B58 Air-to-Oil cooler retrofit from M340i

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra, '18 TTRS,'13, LP700-4, '07 S6 V10
I am happy to see there is still development on this issue. I am still making some progress on my end in parallel and was able to source a cheap ebay M3 S55 cooler $130, from for test fitment purposes. I am going to simply order a new center cowling and cut to fit and then do some magic to engineer some ducting or cowling for the air flow to enter and exit similar to the bimmers. Additionally, Ill cnc some mounting brackets so this cooler can mount to the supports / lower aluminum bumper mounts.. Mock fitment pictured below, obviously needs to be positioned backwards another 8 inches..

With the above mention of pressures, I am building with An10/Orb10 size. I hope to not run into pressure drop situations on the track! More attention / monitoring may be required here. Possibly logging oil pressures while at track.

My "scientific method" will be to determine if I can lower temps to around 270degF on normal track days. A fellow MkV buddy here in Reno who did a similar install was experiencing over 300 degree oil temps as well, and he reported an average of 270 after this cooler installation..

I opted for this horizontal cooler method as the car is only a track car so am less concerned about damage from daily driving. BMW engineers determined this location was better than stacking 3 coolers/radiators. I do not want to diminish airflow to the XH or engine radiators..

20240110_071906.jpg
20240110_071931.jpg
20240110_072134.jpg
Sponsored