B58 Air-to-Oil cooler retrofit from M340i

Tsuki8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 3.0 AZ BM3 E50 WMI
Greetings,

Came across some interesting info, and wanted to share.
Have an idea to retrofit the Air-to-Oil cooler from the S33TA.
Also known as the ZTK or motorsport engineering package.

It seems straight forward.
Change out 1 for the S33TA 1.
Replace 4 (cooling block) with 5 (cover plate) from diagram 496422.
Install and route all parts found in diagram 503875.
Will need to figure out how to cut and fit the cooler into all the plastic shrouding.

I used a G20 M340i (non X (awd)) for reference.
I could not find the equivalent parts for the Z4 M40i.

Papadakis removing the cover plate and housing:

(Cover plate)
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=5U73-USA-12-2019-G20-BMW-M340i&diagId=11_7977

(Air-to-Oil cooler)
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=5U73-USA-12-2019-G20-BMW-M340i&diagId=17_1404

Diagram 496422:
diag_an1i.jpg

Diagram 503875:
diag_asj.jpg

M340i ZTK Oil Cooler:
Oil cooler 2.jpg

Supra, maybe fit here?:
2020-Toyota-Supra-measuring-session-heat-exchangers-1.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tsuki8

Tsuki8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 3.0 AZ BM3 E50 WMI
Last edited:

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I dunno, if the engineered airflow isn't there enough, or you have to divert from what's already needed for other coolers, is it really that much of an upgrade? It's also begging to get smoked at speed by some kind of foreign object(s), conveniently dumping your engine's lifeblood all over the road.

Not trying to dissuade anyone from trying this, just thinking out loud.

OP
OP
Tsuki8

Tsuki8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 3.0 AZ BM3 E50 WMI
I dunno, if the engineered airflow isn't there enough, or you have to divert from what's already needed for other coolers, is it really that much of an upgrade? It's also begging to get smoked at speed by some kind of foreign object(s), conveniently dumping your engine's lifeblood all over the road.

Not trying to dissuade anyone from trying this, just thinking out loud.
Just an idea, to generate discussion.
Maybe part 5 can be modified to accept AN fittings/lines.
Then you can run whatever oil cooler, wherever desired.
Was thinking maybe someone could use that extra oil cooling on track or something.

Yes, can very much ruin your day.
They are definitely not invincible.
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1602609&page=3

Post #55 (Homemade screen):
IMG_1734.jpg

Post #62 (Cracked one):
46120109881_5764222c02_b.jpg

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Nitro Yellow A90 Supra, 10 Honda Fit Sport 5spd
Anyone try it? My oil hits 300F every single track session whether it's 75F outside or 100F. Halp.
Are you stock?? Even on the hottest days I dont think I've gone past 255/260.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
What are you hitting just driving around on the street? Something ain't right. Even on the hottest Texas days this summer, I hover around 210-216F for oil, which is perfect for ordinary driving. Hooning I'm seeing 220-230. If your temperatures are substantially higher in modest street conditions, perhaps it could indicate an issue. Just trying to get a feel for this being a persistent issue in multiple conditions, or track specifically.

Last edited:
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra, '18 TTRS,'13, LP700-4, '07 S6 V10
In attempts to resolve my track day oil temps ~305degF w/ 85 ambient I had a custom four (ORB10) port manifold machined to replace the factory oil cooler. Now that I have the car town down, truly I can not see putting another cooler in the center cowling (engine rad, HX, Trans cooler) Where as on the M2/M3 the kidney grills provide a better frontal area than our MkVs.. Regardless, I am still considering a custom S55/ZTX "retrofit"

I see the lower bumper support bars are about 35" off center where as the s55 cooler is around 29" from the mounting holes. As I feel this is the only place to appropriately place the cooler, but given such am considering abandoning this project. This manifold I had made, will consider selling here to the next enthusiast who wished to carry on the project.. In the interm I am seeking a donor s55 cooler for test fitment. My biggest hurdle I believe will be the angle and airflow ducting / replacement of belly pans or custom retrofitting the lower valence to suit

D_A_S

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dotekiautosolutions.com
Car(s)
2021 GR
To shed some more light on everyone talking about the oil temp. control and pressure issues here is what we have found.....

After hours and hours.... Even our 25-hour endurance race. The oil control on the B58 platform is a bit temperamental! Firstly, the oil cooler/flow control housing is developed to fail! Secondly the control valve is a pain in the arse! When the car continually is chasing low duty and high duty for oil pressure. It creates unwanted transient drops that you do not see with the dummy oil pressure monitoring from factory. (there are tables that deal with this in Ms) We placed multiple sensors on the car to verify this. When this happens the oil pressure control valve becomes unhappy and the flow path in the factory cooling unit takes turns on changing from one channel to the other. This channel comes out of the block at a certain size. But what most people never look at is how the channels are sized differently going into the cooler unit. And more so how the flow path is developed from factory.
To combat this. We did multiple studies to find that you have to balance the unit out. Most of the oil control on the car is developed around START/STOP functions as well. When you cut everything apart. You understand why. So properly sized billet oil cooler port holes regulate not only pressure but flow allowing the Transient action of the pump to not mis target as much as the factory oil cooler unit does. Even the GT4 cars use an added block to the factory unit. But so many engineers even seem to miss the problem that exists. Controlling the flow is the most important aspect in the Supra.

Some may say this is not the case. But our countless hours of research and development on the car has proven that our new Oil cooler unit is far superior to the factory unit. Long term and performance wise. Especially now that we have partnered with PWR for the new upgraded cooler that puts everything front and center for direct air path.

Most people not running into the problem with this. Will at some point see this issue. But are also very religious about changing there oil after every track day. Which we have noticed helps a lot. But does not prevent the issues we continue to see. Especially the guys with the older Oil pumps and control valves in the earlier B58 engines. Hope this helps some people understand a little more about the issues.

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Nitro Yellow A90 Supra, 10 Honda Fit Sport 5spd
To shed some more light on everyone talking about the oil temp. control and pressure issues here is what we have found.....

After hours and hours.... Even our 25-hour endurance race. The oil control on the B58 platform is a bit temperamental! Firstly, the oil cooler/flow control housing is developed to fail! Secondly the control valve is a pain in the arse! When the car continually is chasing low duty and high duty for oil pressure. It creates unwanted transient drops that you do not see with the dummy oil pressure monitoring from factory. (there are tables that deal with this in Ms) We placed multiple sensors on the car to verify this. When this happens the oil pressure control valve becomes unhappy and the flow path in the factory cooling unit takes turns on changing from one channel to the other. This channel comes out of the block at a certain size. But what most people never look at is how the channels are sized differently going into the cooler unit. And more so how the flow path is developed from factory.
To combat this. We did multiple studies to find that you have to balance the unit out. Most of the oil control on the car is developed around START/STOP functions as well. When you cut everything apart. You understand why. So properly sized billet oil cooler port holes regulate not only pressure but flow allowing the Transient action of the pump to not mis target as much as the factory oil cooler unit does. Even the GT4 cars use an added block to the factory unit. But so many engineers even seem to miss the problem that exists. Controlling the flow is the most important aspect in the Supra.

Some may say this is not the case. But our countless hours of research and development on the car has proven that our new Oil cooler unit is far superior to the factory unit. Long term and performance wise. Especially now that we have partnered with PWR for the new upgraded cooler that puts everything front and center for direct air path.

Most people not running into the problem with this. Will at some point see this issue. But are also very religious about changing there oil after every track day. Which we have noticed helps a lot. But does not prevent the issues we continue to see. Especially the guys with the older Oil pumps and control valves in the earlier B58 engines. Hope this helps some people understand a little more about the issues.
Thanks for the write up and the continued development. I've been following a lot of your other work as well. While I trust your development and testing I'd love to see a separate post showing data, logs, before/after, etc. I think especially this community is very data oriented (or well I know some of us are lol). Again, thank you for the continued development for the community!

D_A_S

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dotekiautosolutions.com
Car(s)
2021 GR
Thanks for the write up and the continued development. I've been following a lot of your other work as well. While I trust your development and testing I'd love to see a separate post showing data, logs, before/after, etc. I think especially this community is very data oriented (or well I know some of us are lol). Again, thank you for the continued development for the community!
As we gather more data and compile these things. We will be posting them on our side of the Forum sponsor page for Doteki. With all the current development and lack of staff. It is not of upmost importance to post this right away. The most important part is testing and proving that Our parts can withstand the demands of Track abuse. Which we have done time and time again.
This year will be a great testament to that with multiple drivers running our parts and being able to share data and feedback as well from their end.

Let me know if there is anything else that you would like to see?
Sponsored