reNeglect

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra, 2017 BMW X5
Hey Everyone!

So I finally decided to start a build journal for the very first time. So back in summer of 2020, July/August, I started to really do a lot of research on the brand new GR Supra. At the time, I was debating on selling my G37 Coupe and getting a different car. Ultimately it came down to a used 997.1/2 or 991.1 911 Carrera S or the new Supra. Well I guess you guys know which car I decided to go with haha.

A83E1422-5463-4B84-906D-4A6227BE5980.jpeg

Modification List:

Wheels & Tires:
- Volk Racing TE37SL (OG Stickers) - Blast Bronze Original Finish, but now powdercoated to closest OG Bronze Finish
- Michelin Pilot 4S 265-35-19 & 305-30-19

Suspension , Brakes & Bracing:
- KW V3 Coilovers with Cancellers
- Blitz Front Strut Brace
- Eibach Front Sway Bar
- Eibach Rear Sway Bar
- SPL Front Tie Rod Ends.
- United Speed Racing Harness Bar/Brace
- SPL Adjustable Caster Bushings
- PowerStop Z23 Ceramic Pads (Front & Rear)

Performance:
- MST V2 Intake
- Mishimoto Chargepipe
- AMS Catless Downpipe
- RK Titanium Signature Single Exit
- Visconti Flex Fuel Kit
- EcuTek Flex Fuel Tune by Marin Nelson
- CSF X VF Engineering Super Intake Manifold

Exterior:
- Full Suntek PPF
- Gloss Black Wrapped Roof
- Window tint - 35%
- AMS Anti-Wind Buffeting Kit
- Artisan Spirits Rear Carbon Duckbill
- Fly1 Motorsports Carbon front lip
- IND Distribution painted front & rear reflectors
- Carbon Fiber Side Mirror Caps
- Sayber Designs Front Fenders
- AimGain Style Carbon Fiber Side Skirts
- Fully Gloss Black Supra Emblem (no more chrome surround)
- IND Painted Black GR Emblem
- Future Classic License Plate Frame
- Rexpeed Ultrawide Blue Tinted Side View Mirror
- OLM Carbon Fiber front bumper extensions/fangs
- Exhaust Hole Cover

Interior:
- Recaro Sportster CS by AMX Performance (Carbon Back & Bottoms) - in production
- Reupholstered OEM Steering Wheel by DrozdUpholstery
- NV Specialties Carbon Fiber Dash (left & right side)
- Carbon Fiber Paddle Shifters
- Full Screen Carplay upgrade
- Ethanol Fuel Sensor Gauge
- Ported Rear Sub Box
- Front & Rear Dashcam
- Red Seat Belts (re-webbed)
- Red OEM leather Knee pad trim
- Red OEM leather Cup holder
- Rexpeed Carbon Fiber Interior Dash Trim
- OLM Alcantara Wrapped Gauge Cluster Trim
- OLM Carbon Fiber Lower Gauge/Dash Trim

Upcoming Mods:
- Mevius Black Lug Bolts (need to install, stud conversion was just too costly… as I would’ve splurged and got Project Kics
- P3 digital boost gauge (working with them, ill be the first beta tester ?)
- Carbon Engine Cover (Trimmed for the Intake Manifold)
- Carbon Ecu Cover

Future Mods:
- PureTurbo 800/850 or AMS Big Turbo kit with T51R Mod??? (Researching for power delivery, driveability) - might actually go for the Remnant Performance kit, as theres a lot more value and T51R
- Pure Driveline Transmission build/upgrade
- HKS Carbon Fiber Rear Strut brace (If they ever release this lmao)

August 29 2020, is the day I took delivery of my Supra. I am located in Calgary, AB Canada, I had to make a short 3 hour journey to Edmonton, AB Canada to take delivery of my Absolute Zero 2020 Gr Supra. But what is a car guys journey without some hiccups? I had committed to purchasing the "managers" demo vehicle with 6000KMs on the odometer. Wishing I had knew better but I had requested the vehicle to not be washed upon delivery (huge mistake, as the dead bugs in front of the vehicle.. well some of them were not bugs but rather than some deep scratches down to the bare plastic.) Washed upon delivery (huge mistake, as the dead bugs in front of the vehicle.. well some of them were not bugs but rather than some deep scratches down to the bare plastic.) This was only noticed after I had left the dealer and headed towards the car wash so I can rinse and tape up the front end with masking tape before the journey home. Long story short now, the dealer had agreed to pay a good chunk of bumper refinish.

That evening, the very first mods were being installed! Bimmercode, the usual.

August 31 2020, Vehicle was dropped off for some TLC, full Suntek PPF, and PPF on interior trim (Carbon center console, infotainment screen, and door trim), Gloss Black Roof, Suntek Carbon Tint 30% all around. I believe the Supra comes up a very mild factory tint? As the 30% I have seems darker than my other vehicles tinted at the same 35%. Full body PPF took 5 days to complete, was able to pick up the car that friday!

IMG-7659.jpg

September 7 2020, Vehicle was dropped off for front bumper refinish, Bumper was done by thursday, however the paint match was very off and needed to be resprayed. My G37 was also the tri-coat pearl white, so I understand how hard it is to color match. I was not that upset with the shop, as they were willing to make it right and try again without any additional expenses to me. Unfortunately, this had to wait as i wanted to have the car for the weekend and monday it was going in for the first service!

Ironically enough, the BMW dealership was across the street, so I had made a pit stop for some touch up paint!

IMG-7622.jpg

September 14 2020, Vehicle was dropped off at my local dealer for the very first service (as this was a demo vehicle, and the oil change light came on) and GPS Navigation was not activated. Low and behold, everyone at the dealer was commenting on the poorly color matched bumpers and the parking lot attendant decided to rev my Supra as soon as he started the car to move it.. in the service bay drop off... heard everything in the waiting area. I made sure my service advisor
knew that he should not be doing that, and I got an apology. Car was ready for pick up in a few hours.

Mod Time! In between this fiasco, another mod has arrived, AMS Anti Wind Diffuser, IND Front & Rear Reflector Delete, as well as the rear diffuser reflector delete. Install happened that very evening! Can finally drive with the windows open!

September 15 2020, Vehicle was dropped off at the shop again for them to try color matching the bumper. Vehicle was ready for pick up Thursday and the match is about 90% this time! They had to send the gas cap to the distributor (PPG) for them to mix the paint this time.

Keep the mods coming! My Proclip USA mount came, this was very quick and sleek install that gave me that perfect phone mount location without being intrusive.

September 16 2020, vehicle was dropped off at the PPF shop to get the bumper wrapped and I can drive without worrying about rock chips, mismatched bumpers or the ugly scratches from when I took delivery. Yes I know typically, you should wait 1-2 weeks before PPF after fresh paint. However the bumper was double baked as per my request to aid with quicker curing.

Rexspeed goodies also arrived, Passenger vent badge, and steering wheel badge. Install was very quick and easy! Made the interior feel more special.

September 23 2020, its the small stuff that counts. I had purchased a GR Supra lanyard and a carbon fiber key case, which had finally arrived!

62560380745--23630AAF-FDF1-4787-8782-8899B381CD40.jpg

October 5 2020. While winter is literally around the corner here in Canada, the last wave of mods are still trickling in. Carbon Fiber mirror caps! These were ordered off AliExpress for a fraction of the cost of OEM's. Install was quick and easy and a very nice addition to the exterior aesthetics!

October 7 2020. MST Intake! Huge shoutouts to Speed Industry on getting me the intake, while this was sold out everywhere and restock just happened.. I was able to secure myself the intake and get it with express shipping before the Thanksgiving long-weekend! (Canada remember folk, October 12 vs November 26)

Install was quite easy for the most part, the hardest was getting that breather plug off. However post install and going for a quick test drive, the increased turbo sound was sooooo worth it.

October 9 2020. Quick stop at the PPF shop to get the mirrors PPF wrapped and protected!

October 15 2020. Personalized license plate has arrived! "N0TA2JZ" twinning with a newfound friend in Edmonton "N0TTA2J"

09B97935-7DA4-4976-A28D-4382EC28EA95.JPG

October 28 2020. One the last mods for the 2020 season. Autotecknic Carbon fiber paddle shifters.

After fighting with airbag and finally getting it off, install was super easy and quick. Fantastic addition to interior and driving experience. With my G37 Coupe the paddle shifters were straight out of the R35 GTR and being column mounted. Still getting use to steering wheel mounted paddles... But with these extended paddles, they definitely make it a lot easier.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
reNeglect

reNeglect

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Phase 1:

Hey folks, its been awhile but a lot has happened since the winter hibernation.

Lets go back to black friday, November 22nd 2020.

This marks the day I ordered my Fly1 Motorsports Front Lip and Side Skirts..

January 12th. 3 Months after ordering my Artisan Spirits Spoiler, I finally received something... hahah and by something I mean I was accidentally shipped a Tesla Model 3 Spoiler and not a Supra Spoiler...

unnamed.jpg

January 21st 2 weeks later I received my actual Artisan Spirits Spoiler, and it was dropped off shortly to get a nice clear coat refinish from a local shop.. (yeah... the original finish was definitely not the greatest)

IMG-9538.jpg

March 20 with more parts starting to trickle in, such as the AWE Resonated Touring Cat-Back Exhaust and the AMS Catless Downpipe, and the MST v2 Turbo Intake pipe. This marks the day I lowkey hated myself hahaha.

To start... using ramps and jacking up the supra and placing it on jack stands with the BMW plastic caps, its a pain to say the least. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. As the AWE exhaust proved to be a bit challenging to install, and adjust the fitment especially on jack stands and your back.

To this day its still crooked lol

unnamed (1).jpg

March 27th. Lets lower the car. To be completely honestly, this was a lot easier than expected...Rear took maybe an hour for both sides? Fronts were not bad, but took a bit longer especially since I had redo the passenger side.

Tip for the folks, the top hat spherical bearings easily separate and causes some binding/noises when turning the wheel. Be very careful when reassembling.

48C590A6-94B4-467E-BB00-1466C99C1075.JPG

IMG-9974.jpg

March 28th. Lets make some power baby! With my ECUTEK kit which arrived earlier in the week, lets try tuning. Long story short, ECU is DME locked and requires a bench unlock courtesy of Marin Nelson. While I was able to get the ECU Overnighted (March 29th) to Marin and he was able to unlocked overnight it back... FedEx failed me and yeah... I got the ECU back Monday... April 5th.

unnamed (2).jpg

Simultaneously March 30th My long awaited Fly1 Motorsports Kit arrived. Well cant install until my ECU is back and i can actually move the car + have some spare time.

IMG-0008 (1).jpg

April 2nd While yes we might make fun of being basic and boring.. But TE37's in bronze + Supra? its like a very bougee & expensive vanilla ice cream.

Also bonus points for those who can spot the difference ;)

10615749-F4DC-4597-AE06-851809629107.JPG

April 10th To this day I'm still surprised at how the Fly1 kit is installed. With no instructions and just the recommendation of going to a profession body shop... I decided to give it a shot..

The lip is kind of just held on by friction/clipped in on the side canards, + double side tape? sorry $40 worth of double sided tape LOL... but its held up so far especially with some pulls.

IMG-0167.jpg

April 14
Well.. with the pandemic still around and everything... Tires are pretty hard to get a hold of still. While I ordered a new set of Michelin Pilot 4S in 265/35 and 305/30.. the 305/30 were available but the 265/35 will be back ordered till end of May.

I decided to install the 305/30s Pilot 4S and move the 275/35 Super Sports to the front for now.

64014361994--CB78E8C5-FC38-4C4D-A1BD-5E7BF2B7DF7D.jpg
IMG-0241.jpg
IMG-0239.jpg

IMG-0008 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Supra Cat

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0, 4Runner, Mustang GT/CS, NA Miata
Hey Everyone!

So I finally decided to start a build journal for the very first time. So back in summer of 2020, July/August, I started to really do a lot of research on the brand new GR Supra. At the time, I was debating on selling my G37 Coupe and getting a different car. Ultimately it came down to a used 997.1/2 or 991.1 911 Carrera S or the new Supra. Well I guess you guys know which car I decided to go with haha.

August 29 2020, is the day I took delivery of my Supra. I am located in Calgary, AB Canada, I had to make a short 3 hour journey to Edmonton, AB Canada to take delivery of my Absolute Zero 2020 Gr Supra. But what is a car guys journey without some hiccups? I had committed to purchasing the "managers" demo vehicle with 6000KMs on the odometer. Wishing I had knew better but I had requested the vehicle to not be washed upon delivery (huge mistake, as the dead bugs in front of the vehicle.. well some of them were not bugs but rather than some deep scratches down to the bare plastic.) Washed upon delivery (huge mistake, as the dead bugs in front of the vehicle.. well some of them were not bugs but rather than some deep scratches down to the bare plastic.) This was only noticed after I had left the dealer and headed towards the car wash so I can rinse and tape up the front end with masking tape before the journey home. Long story short now, the dealer had agreed to pay a good chunk of bumper refinish.

That evening, the very first mods were being installed! Bimmercode, the usual.

August 31 2020, Vehicle was dropped off for some TLC, full Suntek PPF, and PPF on interior trim (Carbon center console, infotainment screen, and door trim), Gloss Black Roof, Suntek Carbon Tint 30% all around. I believe the Supra comes up a very mild factory tint? As the 30% I have seems darker than my other vehicles tinted at the same 35%. Full body PPF took 5 days to complete, was able to pick up the car that friday!

IMG-7659.jpg

September 7 2020, Vehicle was dropped off for front bumper refinish, Bumper was done by thursday, however the paint match was very off and needed to be resprayed. My G37 was also the tri-coat pearl white, so I understand how hard it is to color match. I was not that upset with the shop, as they were willing to make it right and try again without any additional expenses to me. Unfortunately, this had to wait as i wanted to have the car for the weekend and monday it was going in for the first service!

Ironically enough, the BMW dealership was across the street, so I had made a pit stop for some touch up paint!

IMG-7622.jpg

September 14 2020, Vehicle was dropped off at my local dealer for the very first service (as this was a demo vehicle, and the oil change light came on) and GPS Navigation was not activated. Low and behold, everyone at the dealer was commenting on the poorly color matched bumpers and the parking lot attendant decided to rev my Supra as soon as he started the car to move it.. in the service bay drop off... heard everything in the waiting area. I made sure my service advisor
knew that he should not be doing that, and I got an apology. Car was ready for pick up in a few hours.

Mod Time! In between this fiasco, another mod has arrived, AMS Anti Wind Diffuser, IND Front & Rear Reflector Delete, as well as the rear diffuser reflector delete. Install happened that very evening! Can finally drive with the windows open!

September 15 2020, Vehicle was dropped off at the shop again for them to try color matching the bumper. Vehicle was ready for pick up Thursday and the match is about 90% this time! They had to send the gas cap to the distributor (PPG) for them to mix the paint this time.

Keep the mods coming! My Proclip USA mount came, this was very quick and sleek install that gave me that perfect phone mount location without being intrusive.

September 16 2020, vehicle was dropped off at the PPF shop to get the bumper wrapped and I can drive without worrying about rock chips, mismatched bumpers or the ugly scratches from when I took delivery. Yes I know typically, you should wait 1-2 weeks before PPF after fresh paint. However the bumper was double baked as per my request to aid with quicker curing.

Rexspeed goodies also arrived, Passenger vent badge, and steering wheel badge. Install was very quick and easy! Made the interior feel more special.

September 23 2020, its the small stuff that counts. I had purchased a GR Supra lanyard and a carbon fiber key case, which had finally arrived!

62560380745--23630AAF-FDF1-4787-8782-8899B381CD40.jpg

October 5 2020. While winter is literally around the corner here in Canada, the last wave of mods are still trickling in. Carbon Fiber mirror caps! These were ordered off AliExpress for a fraction of the cost of OEM's. Install was quick and easy and a very nice addition to the exterior aesthetics!

October 7 2020. MST Intake! Huge shoutouts to Speed Industry on getting me the intake, while this was sold out everywhere and restock just happened.. I was able to secure myself the intake and get it with express shipping before the Thanksgiving long-weekend! (Canada remember folk, October 12 vs November 26)

Install was quite easy for the most part, the hardest was getting that breather plug off. However post install and going for a quick test drive, the increased turbo sound was sooooo worth it.

October 9 2020. Quick stop at the PPF shop to get the mirrors PPF wrapped and protected!

October 15 2020. Personalized license plate has arrived! "N0TA2JZ" twinning with a newfound friend in Edmonton "N0TTA2J"

09B97935-7DA4-4976-A28D-4382EC28EA95.JPG

October 28 2020. One the last mods for the 2020 season. Autotecknic Carbon fiber paddle shifters.

After fighting with airbag and finally getting it off, install was super easy and quick. Fantastic addition to interior and driving experience. With my G37 Coupe the paddle shifters were straight out of the R35 GTR and being column mounted. Still getting use to steering wheel mounted paddles... But with these extended paddles, they definitely make it a lot easier.
Nice to see you survived the dealership & paint repairs, and jumped right into some great mods! I really like your personalized plate. The Canadian prairies have challenging weather... I haven't received my own plate in time for putting her to bed for the winter. Looking forward to more mods!

OP
OP
reNeglect

reNeglect

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bump! Phase 1 update on post # 2... however there's more to be added... and more to be told. Stayed tuned!

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
what a nice clean build, post some videos of that exhaust setup, I have the AWE touring non Res coming next week, and PLM catless dp, but worried it may be too loud or raspy since I got non res... so I may hold off on the downpipe.

Octane

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra
what a nice clean build, post some videos of that exhaust setup, I have the AWE touring non Res coming next week, and PLM catless dp, but worried it may be too loud or raspy since I got non res... so I may hold off on the downpipe.
I've got the touring, non-res. It's definitely not too loud or raspy. It sounds so good paired with an MST intake. I wouldn't even add downpipe tbh... unless you're trying to squeeze out every HP.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I've got the touring, non-res. It's definitely not too loud or raspy. It sounds so good paired with an MST intake. I wouldn't even add downpipe tbh... unless you're trying to squeeze out every HP.
any videos? i know, i've watched the videos on youtube already but more is always merrier. I def want a lot louder than stock, and I want more actual tone, pops are good the way it is right now, but it needs more actual exhaust tone.

turbopk

First Name
Pk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 ford edge(DD)
Love your license plate! :lol:

OP
OP
reNeglect

reNeglect

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
any videos? i know, i've watched the videos on youtube already but more is always merrier. I def want a lot louder than stock, and I want more actual tone, pops are good the way it is right now, but it needs more actual exhaust tone.
I have clips but I do have the AMS Catless downpipe... I'll installing my dashcam this weekend if I get some time. After that I might try to record some clips with it and see how the audio is....

All I can say is with the full Turbo Back (DP + Catback) its loud, but it has tone and is aggressive... id say anything louder than this would be really obnoxious...

OP
OP
reNeglect

reNeglect

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Build Update!

51188940788_6c7e7df815_o.JPG

May 9th 2021

Well after driving around with H&R lowering springs, not going to lie I was left unsatisfied with the body roll and also how soft the suspension is... So onto KW V3 Coilovers. Install was a breeze in the front... rears however it was a bit of challenge wrestling the knuckle and the lower control arm. Overall "first impressions" stiffer, yet still very supple ride quality.

E3BEE49F-2756-4366-AE52-433960F21BAA.JPG
E185BE52-50A0-414E-A34F-C757BAB4D568.JPG

June 1st 2021.

While the KW V3's was a step in the right direction, to help with how I wanted the suspension to be setup. The front end still felt loose and that's where the Blitz Front Brace came in. Initial impression.. why did the 2020's NOT come with a front brace, upon adding the Blitz front brace you can feel the rigidity difference and overall helped with the looseness feeling.

22E39BF7-0E14-46C2-BFFF-B13CD1142F9F.JPG

June 12 2021

I'm sure everyone is annoyed that our Apple Carplay is just split screen and when I found out the 2021's late builds came with full screen Carplay... I was literally watching the thread for updates and pounced as soon someone could code/update it to Fullscreen. Huge thanks to EasyBimmerCoding, great customer service. I ended up having to move my PC up to the garage as my laptop did not have a Ethernet port and the USB adapter did not work... did I also mention the first ENET cable I had didn't work either? But in the end... 100% worth it!!!

IMG_0867.jpg
IMG_0876 (1).jpg

June 25th 2021

Steering Wheel upgrade and its not what you think.. Personally I am OEM+ type of person, while the Carbon Fibre finished steering wheels and the aggressive 9 & 3 notches are functional, its just not my cup of tea. I'm sure by now we all know all these steering wheels come from China and probably from the same factory. Well I contacted one on AliExpress and got one made to my spec. OEM+, thicker, all black leather, red center stripe, with different Carbon Paddle shifters as the Autotecknic were a bit thin and would slightly bend if you depressed the paddles near the top..

IMG_2479.jpg

June 27th 2021

Well now that everything is basically dialed in and I thought its time to tackle the crooked AWE exhaust again.... I followed AWE's video and spent hours trying to get it to just not rub on the diffuser. To my discovery upon removing the rear centre support plate i was able to achieve perfect fitment and found this... The plate was just short by an inch... to be continued.

IMG_1011_(1).jpg

July 6 2021

Contacted a local CNC shop and got them to fabricate a new plate that is an inch longer. I was very happy that this fixed the crooked exhaust or so I thought... to be continued.
A3F899E3-E3FB-42DA-85EF-EA444C4B6E27.JPG
IMG_1205.jpg

July 14th 2021

Back to suspension!! Eibach front sway bars... while yes I want to do the rear sway bars as well... I was not particularly fond or wanted to drop my subframe (cause lazy), I'll do it next season I guess.... Overall now with KW V3's, Eibach Front Sways, Blitz Strut Brace... the car is getting closer to how I want it to handle...
0AE5E146-9279-4F7B-A362-A4A4B8E7354E.JPG

July 25th 2021

Back to the exhaust... I had noticed some rattling on low rpm's and start up... I decided to inspect the exhaust and see what's causing it... well that custom CNC'd center plate snapped in half... Ended up spending the afternoon, reinstalling the exhaust and got it close but not perfect but close enough using the included center support plate.
IMG-1252.jpg
IMG-1251.jpg

August 12 2021

SPL Front Tie Rod Ends. These apparently help with the bumpsteer.. and I haven't been able to really test them to give a good review.. but initial feedback is yes they do indeed help.
59CA70C3-8ECC-43B8-9A72-1AA510EDCC20 (1).JPG

Well, that brings us up to date again... I do have a few more parts on order and should arrive and be installed by mid-September... I am already doing more research and planning my part's list for "phase 2" of my build... Stay tuned!

Last edited:
OP
OP
reNeglect

reNeglect

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
For those
Finally got a video recorded! Not the best but it will do! with the ECUTEK Tune, the burbles in the clip are turned all the way down/off.

ApexMissingApe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra (sold), BMW M550i, G8 GXP
Great build! Handling is the thing I want to address when I start working on mine, too. If I could get it to handle as well as my Camaro SS 1LE it would be the perfect combo of size, speed, looks, and handling.
Excited to see how you like your mods on your next track session.
Sponsored