• Total voters

genoxy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I mean loud with open valves and cold start (valved or non valved)

I have catless DP and an Akra exhaust, it is loud in a good manner.. Other car also has a catless DP and a non res Apexi, deep sound and well mannered

BL in comparison is just insane loud
Yeah theres a good loud and a bad loud I get that, I just want to roar when opening it up

I guess if I find it's too loud with catless DP then I'll try to get a good catted DP instead. Any recommendations?

I prefer catless for Stage 2 power gains with a tune and from all the videos I've heard the BL exhaust with catless is loud but still nice and deep. Won't know until I've done it myself though
Sponsored

Last edited:

genoxy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
From most videos I've seen it looks like he BL exhaust is loudest on cold start, when idling and driving in comfort it's not bad at all

The sound when opening it up in sport is incredible, that's exactly what I'm after but need it to be a little more restrained around home

Will probably go with cold start delete on ECUTEK when I get it tuned, should avoid upsetting the neighbours

Last edited:

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
From most videos I've seen it looks like he BL exhaust is loudest on cold start, when idling and driving in comfort it's not bad at all

The sound when opening it up in sport is incredible, that's exactly what I'm after but need it to be a little more restrained around home

Will probably go with cold start delete on ECUTEK when I get it tuned, should avoid upsetting the neighbours
Our valve actuation is different than the US models

I have Catted Wagner DP, BM3 Stage 2, I had GST start up roar before the BL valved exhaust, way too loud with the BL exhaust,

I have it quieter than standard start up & it will still will Pop & Bang on start up in comfort mode some times

genoxy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Our valve actuation is different than the US models

I have Catted Wagner DP, BM3 Stage 2, I had GST start up roar before the BL valved exhaust, way too loud with the BL exhaust,

I have it quieter than standard start up & it will still will Pop & Bang on start up in comfort mode some times
Fair enough, is that quiet start up still doing cold start like increasing the revs for 60 seconds to warm up the cat which may or may not be there?

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
Fair enough, is that quiet start up still doing cold start like increasing the revs for 60 seconds to warm up the cat which may or may not be there?
IIRC it only revs to 700 then back to 600 instead of the factory 1200 ish for a bit then down to 600, so not preheating the cat

It can still Pop doing that during cold start, it can also mildly pop during deceleration in comfort mode, nothing like the noise in Sport though :)

genoxy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
IIRC it only revs to 700 then back to 600 instead of the factory 1200 ish for a bit then down to 600, so not preheating the cat

It can still Pop doing that during cold start, it can also mildly pop during deceleration in comfort mode, nothing like the noise in Sport though :)
Yeah that's way better than sitting at 1200 for a minute

Can live with the pops, stock exhaust will pop on start up occasionally if started in Sport even on warm starts

Looking to avoid this :p

https://youtu.be/tJzuQjI1dTQ

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
Yeah that's way better than sitting at 1200 for a minute

Can live with the pops, stock exhaust will pop on start up occasionally if started in Sport even on warm starts

Looking to avoid this :p

https://youtu.be/tJzuQjI1dTQ
Thats louder & more raspy than mine, so I'm guessing it doesn't have a catted DP

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
I guess I could make one, I will chuck the camera in the Ute & take it home & start it tonight for you
My garage isn't as open as that one with where my Supra is but it should work fine :)

genoxy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Sounds quite quiet really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUwCXIvAbbY

It started running rough, hadn't noticed it before, felt/sounded like it was intermittently dropping a cylinder, didn't last long...
Thanks so much man, actually it sounds really good and not very loud but I'm sure it changes when driving.

Did you have the valves closed/comfort mode?

Wonder what happened right at the beginning?

genoxy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Sounds quite quiet really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUwCXIvAbbY

It started running rough, hadn't noticed it before, felt/sounded like it was intermittently dropping a cylinder, didn't last long...
Noticed most photos I've seen of the run in exhaust show the tips black and sooty, have you tried cleaning them and how easy would it be to get them shiny again?

Rapheal

First Name
Rapheal
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Boost logic + Catless DP is not a civilized exhaust. The valved option is worthless.

BananaBandolero

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S14, A91
Put the boost logic on today, along with the akrapovic catted downpipe.

Well, I had been hoping that between being a 2021, a hefty cat, and the valves the sound would be a bit mitigated, but holy crap it's loud.

Cold start is the worst, it's pretty unreasonable. Concerned by that the most since I have to park in a valet garage. Poor guy's gonna have a heart attack and then kick me out.

Warm start is just one quick rev, will make bystanders jump but it's over fast.

The important thing though, is that comfort mode is totally civilized enough. Idle isn't any different from stock, and if you're cruising it's not far from that. Normal driving light acceleration is louder than stock but nothing crazy, just sounds like a performance car. Girlfriends and wives probably won't complain, if they didn't witness the start up.

Sport mode is party mode. Sounds amazing, and howls in top of rev range, which is what I was going for, just a bit of that LFA titanium howl. It doesn't pop/gunshot, just burbles, which I like. Probably more a 2021 thing than anything else. It used to make a little burp/fart when shifting quickly under power, that's gone now, or different enough I don't recognize it.

Think it's going to change the way I drive. Sport will be more for special occasions, where before I used it for anything but long highway cruising.

Don't take this negatively though, sounds and looks great. Feel like the car now sounds like it looks. Before it just sounded like an excitable camry to me. I just need to do something about that cold start. I wonder if tuning it out has any negative side effects.

Odds and ends:
- Lost some ground clearance. Lightly scraping on speedbumps I had no problem with before
- Something's burning, need to figure out what. The diffuser looks fine. Adjusting the tip placement isn't so easy though, but possible.

If anyone knows about tuning out cold start (reasons not to) I'd appreciate advice.

Will make a video eventually, but just a pic for now
5DA7BDA5-E14E-4915-92FF-46D5742A9C06.jpeg
Sponsored