Best Wing Replacement for a Street Hunter without mayor repair to trunk?

Supr@Freak23

First Name
PEPE
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra A90, 2001 S2000, 2009 STI
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Guys

I recently sent my car to get it wrapped and believe it or not a car that was purchased on 2020 and sleeps inside a garage with only 6029 miles, its Street Hunter wing was spitting rust due to the faulty cheapazz hardware included in the original packaging, the sides rivet/nuts had to be destroyed to remove the spoiler, at least holes are intact, so new hardware would do, but middle carbon piece has cracked due to rust coming from inside on all directions. Now Street Hunter wants to charge 750+ shipping if I want to replace, and thats just insane, specially whhen new spoilers in 2023 are around that price, for that reason considering the swap.. Im thinking maybe some people here changed wings without needing to repair big time the trunk/holes etc after conversion. Anyone has stories/pointers to share on this ?Please look at this pics! No guarantee left on spoiler defects etc, so maybe forced to change this for something with better quality. BTW this wing has been a nightmare since I got it. It didnt fit correctly, shop ended charging me more and plasticg spacers were used to cover for the pos.

imagejpeg_0 (1).jpg

IMG_20230406_192548.jpg

IMG_20230406_192555.jpg
Sponsored

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Sorry to read your troubles, but expected. Good luck, brotha!

Reactions: zrk

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Sorry to hear mate. The Street Hunter wing was the only one I liked the look of but considering the price and the many negative stories I've heard, I'll be staying stock.

Deathscythe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2017 Jaguar F-Pace 35t
I can confirm that the Extreme Online Store street hunter style wing has pretty much identical mounting points.

Believe it or not the Extreme online store wing has vastly better quality and fitment across the board in every aspect. My body shop guy said the Street Hunter wing was the lowest quality aftermarket wing he had ever worked on and he was appalled

The main issue with the Extreme Online Store wing is that the wing blade is totally hollow and will vibrate at highway speeds unless filled with spray foam. (Ask me how I know)

I actually ended up doing the reverse and going EOS wing to street hunter FRP.

I only slightly modified 1 of the previously drilled holes.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Go with EOS street hunter rep, way way better than the real shit. Or the EOS MB wing will cover it mostly as well. I can get you either just LMK!

300BLK

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0P, 23 Tacoma, 22 Mercedes Benz GLB
Want to get the EOS wing but I track the car. Bad idea?

Deathscythe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Want to get the EOS wing but I track the car. Bad idea?
Correct, (in my opinion) the wing blade is completely hollow. Mine was flapping violently in the wind at 50 or 60mph. It's perfectly fine for a show car but would do nothing but bend on a track.

theblackgt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
MK5 Supra, MK7 GTI, F07 550 GT
You should mention about posting this up publicly and see if they still want to charge $750 just to replenish some defective parts.

On a diff note, Yiso Carbon makes a ducktail piece that covers the full trunk with a little built-in spoiler on top if you want something more subtle, or i've seen some nice wing options from CMST as well

syyc

First Name
21 years old
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra Pure800
You should mention about posting this up publicly and see if they still want to charge $750 just to replenish some defective parts.

On a diff note, Yiso Carbon makes a ducktail piece that covers the full trunk with a little built-in spoiler on top if you want something more subtle, or i've seen some nice wing options from CMST as well
Where to even post it publicly?
I got a V1 streethunter wing and it still is the only cracked carbon piece (Cracked in same place as OP) that has arrived here with the worst packaging I've ever seen. Even my carbon fiber diffuser and hood arrived with no damage,.

1 year later in Canadian weather and garage parking, same issue as this post. Hardware is so bad I can't even take it off the car, so I'm waiting on a new wing to arrive.

Was honestly super disappointed when I went to take it off for a re-wrap.

ntvaribl

First Name
Nami
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra Launch Edition 1098/1500
I can confirm that the Extreme Online Store street hunter style wing has pretty much identical mounting points.

Believe it or not the Extreme online store wing has vastly better quality and fitment across the board in every aspect. My body shop guy said the Street Hunter wing was the lowest quality aftermarket wing he had ever worked on and he was appalled

The main issue with the Extreme Online Store wing is that the wing blade is totally hollow and will vibrate at highway speeds unless filled with spray foam. (Ask me how I know)

I actually ended up doing the reverse and going EOS wing to street hunter FRP.

I only slightly modified 1 of the previously drilled holes.
Did spray foaming the blade completely solve the flexing issue? I keep reading reviews on how terrible the SH wing is and that reps are the way to go, but the few reviews I've found on the EOS's SH Rep Wing seem like more of a horror story. Some reviews say that their wing flexed to the point it nearly snapped in half. I don't track, but I do tend to go over 100 mph the speed limit very often.

What spray foam did you use and how much/many of them to fill the hollow wing? I'm assuming you drilled a small hole on the side of the blade where the screws are, could you send a picture? Sorry I have never used spray foam before, but how did you know when the blade was fully filled in?

Deathscythe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Did spray foaming the blade completely solve the flexing issue? I keep reading reviews on how terrible the SH wing is and that reps are the way to go, but the few reviews I've found on the EOS's SH Rep Wing seem like more of a horror story. Some reviews say that their wing flexed to the point it nearly snapped in half. I don't track, but I do tend to go over 100 mph the speed limit very often.

What spray foam did you use and how much/many of them to fill the hollow wing? I'm assuming you drilled a small hole on the side of the blade where the screws are, could you send a picture? Sorry I have never used spray foam before, but how did you know when the blade was fully filled in?

Hey dude,

In my case it ended in disaster twice. (I bought 2 wings)

The EOS wing already has holes on either side. They're covered with tape but if you take the tape off they make a perfect hole on both sizes for a spray foam nozzle. I used Loctite Titefoam small gap filler. (this expands less)

1695859421734.png

1695859516654.png

The problem is that spray foam needs air and moisture to cure, that's why there is a warning on the can not to use in closed cavities with no flow.

As a result, the foam never really cured on the first wing and stayed liquid for days.

Trying to learn from the mistake, I added a small amount of water to the wing blade and the foam instantly started to cure and expand even more. So much so that the wing turned into a sausage. 🤣

Straight up sausage
1695860026329.png

...This obviously ruined the wing blade.

Learning from that attempt, I bought another wing and attempted to right my mistakes.

Unfortunately, although the second attempt was way better, there were still places where the wing was lumpy after the foam cured. I even attempted to drill a center hole to more evenly distribute the foam but that didn't help much.

I could only really tell the wing was filled in by squeezing along the length of the wing. Some parts were rock solid and filled in. Others were still hollow. Generally speaking though, you could significantly reduce the flex or vibration by just filling in either side where it contact the wing bases.

Either way, I wasn't happy with the results so I cut my losses.

Meaty wing with a side of lumps
1695860318382.png

To answer your question, yes, I think spray foam can resolve the flex issue since in an enclosed space it can become rock solid if you use closed cell foam. BUT the real question is if you're willing to go through the mess and the trouble of doing it.

That stuff smells, sticks to everything and is a major pain to work with.

If you go with the Street Hunter wing, I would only go for the carbon fiber one. My FRP one cracked within 3 months of having it on the car. My car is never outside and I only drive a couple of times a month so it wasn't caused by elements.

Similar to the OP, when I went to replace the wing, all the hardware had already rusted and I ended up having to extract and hacksaw all of the bolts off. I documented that on IG and can send if you're interested. It took me a week...

ntvaribl

First Name
Nami
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra Launch Edition 1098/1500
Hey dude,

In my case it ended in disaster twice. (I bought 2 wings)

The EOS wing already has holes on either side. They're covered with tape but if you take the tape off they make a perfect hole on both sizes for a spray foam nozzle. I used Loctite Titefoam small gap filler. (this expands less)

1695859421734.png

1695859516654.png

The problem is that spray foam needs air and moisture to cure, that's why there is a warning on the can not to use in closed cavities with no flow.

As a result, the foam never really cured on the first wing and stayed liquid for days.

Trying to learn from the mistake, I added a small amount of water to the wing blade and the foam instantly started to cure and expand even more. So much so that the wing turned into a sausage. 🤣

Straight up sausage
1695860026329.png

...This obviously ruined the wing blade.

Learning from that attempt, I bought another wing and attempted to right my mistakes.

Unfortunately, although the second attempt was way better, there were still places where the wing was lumpy after the foam cured. I even attempted to drill a center hole to more evenly distribute the foam but that didn't help much.

I could only really tell the wing was filled in by squeezing along the length of the wing. Some parts were rock solid and filled in. Others were still hollow. Generally speaking though, you could significantly reduce the flex or vibration by just filling in either side where it contact the wing bases.

Either way, I wasn't happy with the results so I cut my losses.

Meaty wing with a side of lumps
1695860318382.png

To answer your question, yes, I think spray foam can resolve the flex issue since in an enclosed space it can become rock solid if you use closed cell foam. BUT the real question is if you're willing to go through the mess and the trouble of doing it.

That stuff smells, sticks to everything and is a major pain to work with.

If you go with the Street Hunter wing, I would only go for the carbon fiber one. My FRP one cracked within 3 months of having it on the car. My car is never outside and I only drive a couple of times a month so it wasn't caused by elements.

Similar to the OP, when I went to replace the wing, all the hardware had already rusted and I ended up having to extract and hacksaw all of the bolts off. I documented that on IG and can send if you're interested. It took me a week...
Oh wow, this was very informative. I am so sorry for your wallet lol, but I bet you saved so many people here from attempting this, myself included. At this rate, I'll probably just look for a whole different wing, even though I still think the SH wing is one of the nicer ones. I'm still not too confident in the original SH wing even if it was in carbon... from all the posts. Maybe the V2 version is better, but I haven't seen many posts about it since the V1 pretty much tanked the reputation. Thank you so much for the in-depth reply. Also yeah go ahead and leave your IG.
Sponsored