Bestcar: EV Celica coupe and jointly developed EV Mazda coupe with rotary range extender in development

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
According to this reviewer, the web-only article tells only part of the story whereas the print magazine goes into further detail... which he covers here.

Both are apparently being designed around new solid state batteries. The Celica, a GR project, would be AWD dual motor with nearly 500hp as a two-seater while the Mazda version (also a two-seater) would be lighter, RWD only and include a multi-rotor range extending engine.

https://bestcarweb.jp/backnumber/434807 (translation available by opening this link in Google Chrome)

Sponsored

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base
I'm hoping for a new Mazda RX car but really hoping this is not the route they are taking for it. I don't mind the Rotary Engine range extender, but sharing the chassis with a "Celica" seems wrong. In my opinion, it will be a new MX car rather than an RX car.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
I'll be surprised if it happens - the economy is just starting to tank and the only thing making this companies money are souless light SUVs.

Elektro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 i3 94ah, 22 Supra 2.0
As somebody who owns one, I would not buy another rex car. Due to rex (officially, "tzev") rules the gas range cannot be greater than ev range. A regular PHEV (carb's "pzev" like volt, fusion, prime) does not have that requirement. There are two heavy machines (traction and generator) that cannot split load like in an HSD. It made some sense 10 years ago when the i3 came out and batteries were very expensive, but not anymore.
60 ah i3 in usa has a software limit on gas range that (naturally) could be removed with bimmercode. 94 and 120 amp i3 do not have the limit because of the increased ev range.

If you want a phev buy one with the traditional HSD torque split machine. If you want a bev buy one that does not need gas.

OTOH after reading a few preliminary review of the mx-30, Mazda seems content to shoot themselves in the foot for bevs.

OP
OP
KahnBB6

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
One thing that was mentioned only briefly in the video I posted above but which wasn't emphasized enough was that the Wankel supposedly isn't set up just as a range extender but also as a power generator under heavy load and acceleration. This is why Kirk mentioned that the article states that the Wankel may even be multi-rotor and supercharged.

This approach is very similar (but likely MUCH better in execution) to how the first Fisker Karma was set up with electric motors powering the wheels, a lithium-ion battery feeding those motors and a GM LNF Ecotec 2.0L turbocharged engine making 260hp as both range extender and full power generator.

That execution sucked in the Fisker Karma but I like this approach, if true, allowing the rotary to spin up under full acceleration even though it's not directly connected to the drive wheels.

The article doesn't suggest that Toyota GR will take the same approach with their AWD dual motor Celica but theoretically it would be interesting if they did by utilizing the new G16E-GTS 3-cylinder turbo engine for instance.

According to the article Mazda is the only one of the two who is said will be doing it.

As for Mazda and Toyota GR co-developing these sibling cars... that's just the way of things now with niche enthusiast performance cars to spread around the development costs. Also, Mazda does not have the same resources with solid state battery R&D that Toyota does.

And... Toyota appears to be doing most of the development work on the GR Celica and Mazda RX coupe platform.
Sponsored