Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
At this point I don't see a new rotary engine driving the wheels of a Mazda directly any longer unless it's a 100% hydrogen combustion or other 100% alternative fuel powered Wankel. Their engineers have made great advancements with their 16X prototype Wankels in recent years but it's so difficult to get them to pass emissions and meet new fuel economy standards as anything other than range extenders it will be surprising if we see anything like the old (and great) 13B-REW or 20B-REW twin turbo engines again.

Mind you if Mazda manages to pull off a miracle in these regards even for just a few short production years I'll be very happy. I love Mazda rotaries. It's is just that the engineering challenges and targets keep moving for them with Wankel designs.

As an integrated range extender rotary or hydrogen-combustion rotary I can see it at least being possible.

This new Mazda RWD coupe is much more likely to incorporate a turbocharged version of their new inline-six engine.

That concept car is gorgeous no matter how it is powered.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
At this point I don't see a new rotary engine driving the wheels of a Mazda directly any longer unless it's a 100% hydrogen combustion or other 100% alternative fuel powered Wankel. Their engineers have made great advancements with their 16X prototype Wankels in recent years but it's so difficult to get them to pass emissions and meet new fuel economy standards as anything other than range extenders it will be surprising if we see anything like the old (and great) 13B-REW or 20B-REW twin turbo engines again.

Mind you if Mazda manages to pull off a miracle in these regards even for just a few short production years I'll be very happy. I love Mazda rotaries. It's is just that the engineering challenges and targets keep moving for them with Wankel designs.

As an integrated range extender rotary or hydrogen-combustion rotary I can see it at least being possible.

This new Mazda RWD coupe is much more likely to incorporate a turbocharged version of their new inline-six engine.

That concept car is gorgeous no matter how it is powered.
I agree, unless they come up with some ingenious way to run a Rotary; cleanly, reliably, and safely…I don’t think there is a prosperous future for the Rotary.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I agree, unless they come up with some ingenious way to run a Rotary; cleanly, reliably, and safely…I don’t think there is a prosperous future for the Rotary.
We'll see what they have come up with. Even selling just one more direct rotary powered car for only a few model years as a halo vehicle would be enough. The Mazda engineers have been working hard to release another rotary for years but the regulatory targets just keep moving.

The production version of this concept will be something special no matter what though.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's not an NSU/Mazda "Wankel" rotary design but it would certainly be interesting if this one saw production applications and proved to be reliable, powerful enough and cost effective. A couple of other new unconventional combustion engine designs have come up in the last few years and while none of the others took off there is a trend among new ICE engine ideas that all go in this kind of direction of eliminating pistons altogether.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra