BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage Concept

Mr. M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FIT
BMW just unveiled the 3.0 CSL Hommage Concept. A lot of the comments I'm reading people keep saying it looks like a BMW version of the FT-1. My opinion? Kinda sorta. What do you guys think?

BMW-3-0-CSL-Hommage-13.PNG
Sponsored

Scino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 WRX Limited, 2015 GLA250 AMG Sport
I was going to post the same thing. The BMW concept is a rebodied FT-1. The proportion and shape from the rear and side view perspective is spot on. FT-1 design is way more beautiful IMO.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
AutoExpress also believes it is M4 based.

Wraps come off stunning BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage concept car

BMW unveils striking CSL Hommage concept at Villa d’Este in tribute to iconic 3.0 CSL from the seventies
BMW has taken the wraps off a sensational new concept at the exclusive Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este show in Italy. Called the 3.0 CSL Hommage, it’s a spiritual successor and design
icon1.png
tribute to the iconic 3.0 CSL from the seventies.

The CSL Hommage – CSL stands for coupĂ©, sport, lightweight – makes use of the sophisticated modern day technology and materials BMW has begun to use in its production cars from the i Division. Crafted from lightweight carbon fibre, the 3.0 CSL Hommage is believed to be based on the M4 and uses a six-cylinder in-line engine
icon1.png
with eBoost.

Despite the advancements in technology, the Hommage sticks to the recipe of the original CSL. The interior has been stripped back to the bare essentials, with the focus on reducing overall weight. The seventies model’s aluminium bonnet, boot and wings have made way for carbon fibre versions.

The design of the Hommage has been heavily influenced by aerodynamics, but retains enough classic styling cues from the legendary racer with which it shares a name. BMW’s trademark kidney grille dominates the front end, and adopts the more upright styling from BMWs of old. Slender laser and LED headlights merge with the pronounced grille, with the stylised X-graphic a nod to the headlamp stickers used on BMW’s long-distance race cars.

BMW claims the Hommage is one of the lowest cars it has ever produced, a result of the carbon fibre front splitter closing the gap between the road and the front end. To further reduce drag and increase aerodynamic efficiency, traditional wing mirrors have been replaced by cameras.

Viewed in profile, the fixed rear spoiler extends beyond the C-pillar, where there’s a BMW logo on each side, in keeping with the original 3.0 CSL. Black 21-inch alloy wheels fit snuggly into the flared arches, while the LED tail-lights continue seamlessly into the tall rear wing.

The interior is stripped of all luxuries, and puts its lightweight design on show. Where the cabin of the old 3.0 CSL was trimmed in wood, the Hommage uses only a decorative strip of wood on the instrument panel; the rest is constructed entirely out of carbon fibre. Bucket seats with matching Golf Yellow stitching, as well as the six-point harness and fire extinguisher, hint at the car’s racing pedigree.

BMW isn’t giving much away in terms of performance, but did confirm the Hommage is powered by a six-cylinder in-line engine which also features eBoost technology. The brand is staying tight lipped as to what the system actually is, but it’s no secret BMW has been experimenting with performance upgrades, as seen with the water injection system used on the M4 GTS Coupe to be used as a safety car in top-line MotoGP bike racing.

Rival Audi recently showcased electric turbochargers in the TT Clubsport Turbo Concept, so BMW’s system could revolve around the same idea.

Although the Hommage vehicles BMW has produced for the Concorso d’Eleganza over the years don’t normally make it to production, the company said: “Our Hommage cars not only demonstrate how proud we are of our heritage, but also how important the past can be in determining the future.”

This could point towards the re-emergence of the CSL name in BMW’s current product range, which could first find its way on to a more focused version of the M4 Coupe in the near future.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/91564/wraps-come-off-stunning-bmw-30-csl-hommage-concept-car

Scino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I could be wrong about the chassis. It seems to be based on M4 chassis, but since it's a concept It could be based on anything. The design is smaller rear window, and fat rear just like FT-1. And mysterious 2 series mule

Scino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's too much body work for a ricer car.

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
Hmmm, may be the color doesn't do it much justice...? But I think it's more like the i8.

I had a 74 3.0CS for a long time, which got a lot of thumbs up from older enthusiasts.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

FT1freddy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S
It's a concept so it doesn't have to be based on anything. I think design wise it resembles the FT-1 more than the M4. Especially that wrapped hood to air intake area.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if this is using the platform from the Toyota joint project 'Silk Rode'. Most of the Cars proportions do resemble the FT-1 a bit. If so, I wonder if Toyota will give us another concept before production model.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
It's a concept so it doesn't have to be based on anything. I think design wise it resembles the FT-1 more than the M4. Especially that wrapped hood to air intake area.
you do realize that most concept cars are usually shells over an existing chassis. FT1 concept is actually based on a rolling Lexus RC chassis.

besides, the doors on both BMWs are the same shape. not to mention it has a long cabin like other luxury cruiser like the C class, RC, 4-series and ect rather than a 2+2 GT (FT-1, MKIV).

Last edited:

Da Hmong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Impreza
Talk about overwrought! Are we sure this concept has anything to do with the FT-1 / BMW-Supra project? I damn hope this isn't any sign of what the FT-1 will look like.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Talk about overwrought! Are we sure this concept has anything to do with the FT-1 / BMW-Supra project? I damn hope this isn't any sign of what the FT-1 will look like.
its just a weird one off concept; most likely M4 based and IMO has nothing to do with the FT-1 & Z5.

its also worth nothing that a BMW spokes person has said the two co developed cars wont share sheet metal. unlike with the 86/BRZ.
Sponsored