SupraEffective

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 2022
I can see why they went electric.

They don't want to compete with Toyota/Nissan and feel like they are chasing bigger fish like Tesla.

Sadding that they didn't slap a Inline 4 or at least a V6, but they're just trying to say "We're the first full EV sport manufacture" Which I don't blame them.
Sponsored

Bigboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 civic FK7 sport, supra 3.0 premium
Lol from what you can see from the interior they reused the 10th gen accord infotainment and setup AGAIN. They couldn’t even come up with a new design and tech for future car concept. Typical honda always with outdated interior even when planning for the future 😂

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
they took the setup people wanted for the Integra and used it for the Prelude

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
Let's see if they can botch this as bad as they did with the CR-Z
You bet your a$$ it will be a botched job, every sporty/sports standalone nameplates that Honda has made with their modern management team in charge has been duds in one way or another.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
I can see why they went electric.

They don't want to compete with Toyota/Nissan and feel like they are chasing bigger fish like Tesla.

Sadding that they didn't slap a Inline 4 or at least a V6, but they're just trying to say "We're the first full EV sport manufacture" Which I don't blame them.
They still will be competing with Toyota and Nissan. This will probably release same time as when Toyota and Nissan EVs hit the market. It's not like it's being released now along side the supra and Z.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
As a former last-generation Prelude owner... I'm mixed on this. I fully expected it to be powered by some kind of hybrid-electric or fully electric drivetrain. Most concept cars at this point will have to be some kind of hybrid at minimum to meet fuel economy and emissions regulations in 3-4 years. And Preludes have always been technology showcase models so that's canon.

I appreciate it that it's a real low to the ground coupe and not a raised crossover or SUV as Mitsubishi did with the "Eclipse Cross".

But the styling doesn't get me excited at all. It's OK but that's it. Just OK. Boring looking. My 5th gen Prelude (the 1997-2001 design) was criticized back in the day for it's styling but it did have a visual personality whether you liked it or not. The same is true for the 4th generation Prelude that preceded it (the 1992-1996 design) and even the boxy late 1980's 3rd gen before that.

This doesn't have the same presence as those cars.

As to it being designed in such a way that it will not compete with the GR86 or anything quite so focused as a sportscar... as a current GR86 owner this gives me a mixed opinion too.

On the one hand even though the 5th gen Prelude wasn't fast (a little quick under the right circumstances but not fast) it was a blast to drive and shift through the gears. It's engine had little torque and only 200hp but it was extremely fun to rev it out and throw it around corners.

The only things I wished Honda had improved it with were a rear wheel drive layout with a mechanical LSD, +50hp more and +50 ft-lbs more and a no sunroof (in the U.S. all 5th generation Preludes came standard with a sunroof. You had no choice for a solid/slicktop roof model).

Well... it's a totally different car but basically the current Toyota GR86 pretty much covers those ideal specs with a similar small car 2+2 coupe layout. And it weighs 200lbs less than the last Prelude's 3,050lbs.

The 4th and 5th generation Preludes were held back by their FWD layouts, lack of any mechanical LSD option (in the U.S.) and low torque but they were solid driver oriented sport coupes. And the models with 200hp H22A 2.2L engines had just enough power and engine character to make them plenty of fun.

So... given all of that... even with a hybrid electric powertrain in the works... when it is stated that this new Prelude concept with fairly bland styling and a modus operandi that does not seem to include matching the kind of fun that the last Prelude had (in 5-speed manual form) and that the current GR86 has... I have some confusion as to exactly what Honda wants this upcoming generation of the car to feel like when you get behind the wheel.

Yeah, I get it that a hybrid gas-electric drivetrain is a shift from a totally non-electrified drivetrain but the company's statement suggests to me something more fundamental than that in their overall approach to resurrecting this model.

It's not asking that much to have a better power to weight ratio than the last model... or really a power to weight ratio more on par with the GR86. And it's not asking much for it to be designed in such a way that the car is at least as fun to drive overall as the last 1997-2001 model was.

And finally ditching the FWD layout for the first time in its model history would also be very welcome as it always held it back given the proportions of these coupes.

It doesn't have to be the fastest sports coupe on the market but it can't go backwards in the communicative and fun to drive department from the very last model either.

The current GR86 is actually a very good benchmark for Honda to take inspiration from given the evolution of the Prelude through its generations so it's odd that Honda made a point to say they were not going to go in that direction. And even the next generation GR86 is going hybrid as well.