Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
Hello Gang!,
After a few years of having a ducktail spoiler on my car it seems to have developed an issue with the gas struts failing on the boot (trunk) lid. They are currently still working fine when helped up and keep the deck open but don't have the same vigour when lifting they used to. This also may not be helping a previously mentioned issue about the boot (trunk) release not fully releasing. I know the supra has a vacuum issue causing the lid to re-lock itself when you close the door before its fully opened but mine seems to have gotten even more temperamental. Ive got the boot lid adjustable stops on maximum and its not making a single bit of difference.

To conclude, Do any of you have any gas strut issues? Any aftermarket struts worth buying over the Toyota ones? Is there any new info on the stupid boot (trunk) latch issue i may not have heard?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Photo added for eye candy!

Supra Rear close.jpg
Sponsored

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
Rather than a failure as such, are you not just experiencing them opening much slower in the cold winter months when the oil inside is thicker?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crimzon_Skyz

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
It's like the search feature wasn't used.

There's a dedicated thread to this with PNs for new struts and helper springs (optional)

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/auto-trunk-support-lifts.13861/
As this is a UK thread i was hoping for solutions that could be bought over here as much of the hardware is US only in that thread. Wasn't really looking for an "Auto" open either but i thank you for bringing my attention to it as some of the info can carry over.

Id not thought about temperature making a huge difference so may have to watch that and see if it improves in summer before replacing them. Always seems cold and crappy in the UK šŸ˜­

OP
OP
Crimzon_Skyz

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
Rather than a failure as such, are you not just experiencing them opening much slower in the cold winter months when the oil inside is thicker?
Ive had the car for a few years now and not had the same issue before but it is -7 at the moment. Its just really annoying at the initial opening and defiantly takes more effort to extend the struts.

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Ive had the car for a few years now and not had the same issue before but it is -7 at the moment. Its just really annoying at the initial opening and defiantly takes more effort to extend the struts.
It is shit now isn't it, today was the coldest at -6 here, mate next week it's warm again around 10c, check if it's the same end of next week and if so, then I think your theory about the big wing is correct!

OP
OP
Crimzon_Skyz

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
Iā€™ve seen that ā€œEmerald Strutsā€ are all over my Facebook wall at the moment for their spring loaded boot struts but they donā€™t officially have one for the Supra. May be able to talk to them and find something that fits. Not sure if they are any good though.

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
Iā€™ve seen that ā€œEmerald Strutsā€ are all over my Facebook wall at the moment for their spring loaded boot struts but they donā€™t officially have one for the Supra. May be able to talk to them and find something that fits. Not sure if they are any good though.
Please do! It'd take a pair.

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/296123819677

If they're willing to ship to the UK, try these. Just put them on my car as I experienced exactly what you did. I have a streethunter wing & it wouldn't stay open without help. These are extremely strong, fit like OEM and good quality
Sponsored