Bootmod3 Android App Connection

DanTheManc

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Looking to buy
My car is running Boodmod3 software. The ECU bench unlock and BM3 tune was done by the shop. I didn't flash the software myself.

I have a Samsung S22 Ultra and I've bought the ENET cable and USB-C Ethernet adapter. When I connect my phone to the OBD using these, I get a notification in the drop down menu to show it's connected successfully. Although, when I start the BM3 app and sign it, it says it's not connected.

is there a dummies guide on how I connect to the BM3 app?

*Should I have the ignition on and engine off?
*Do I press the start button 3 times to go in diagnostic mode?
*Should I have the seat belt plugged in?
*Should my phone be in airplane mode?

There seems be all kinds of contradicting answers when I google it?

Please can somebody explain step by step what I should be doing?
Sponsored

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Did you enable Ethernet tethering on the phone? This must be toggled ON in Android's "Hotspot & Tethering" menu before USB-C Ethernet will function.

You should press the ignition button once without the brake pedal and connect the driver side seatbelt.

OP
OP
DanTheManc

DanTheManc

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Looking to buy
Ethernet tethering was greyed out and it wouldn't allow me to select it

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ethernet tethering was greyed out and it wouldn't allow me to select it
You may have to reconnect the USB-C adapter after the enet cable is plugged into the car before that toggle is active.

Also, not all USB-C Ethernet adapters are supported by every phone. I had to switch to a UGREEN-brand adapter with an Ethernet chip supported by my phone (Atheros chip), as other Ethernet chips in other adapters did not work.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is an Android thing, not BM3. Android devices are really finicky with Ethernet over USB
Specifically: Android has good support for Broadcom-Atheros chips, and not much support for Realtek chipsets. So it's important to select the right ethernet adapter to ensure there's a driver in the OS kernel.

OP
OP
DanTheManc

DanTheManc

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Looking to buy
This is the one I have. It says it supports Samsung Galaxy. Plus when I connect it phone it shows in the drop down menu it's connected.

USB C Ethernet Adapter,Maxonar USB C LAN Adapter Thunderbolt 3/4 RJ45 Network Adapter,Aluminum Compact Design,Compatible with M2 MacBook Air/Pro,Pad Pro/Air,Dell XPS,Surface Pro 8,Galaxy Tab S8 https://amzn.eu/d/9lxGrQN

SmartSelect_20221106_200720_Amazon Shopping.jpg

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I believe the BM3 guide mentions that it's not possible, or nearly impossible, thru Android to do so. I had S20 and S22 and never got it working despite assigning static ip, etc.. Dev settings, etc.. always on..... C to eth works for sure. Used it for other purposes but not bm3. Though, this was perhaps 6-9mo ago. Apps may have been updated, so still try the above Amz link ..

Also, try and see on Bimmerforums because they use bm3 more...

I just connected it to a laptop.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BM3 worked just fine for me on Android with Ethernet. It is absolutely possible. You just need the right Ethernet adapter, and don't plug it into the phone until the enet cable is in the car. Toggle Ethernet tethering to ON on the OS and off you go.

This one uses a Broadcom Ethernet chip and is supported natively by android, regardless of phone: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091T7LPJP?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Last edited:

CarlSmeety

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TSupra x700
Hey! I'm new here, but I would like to help. One thing to check is whether your phone is compatible with the Bootmod3 Android app. Sometimes, specific phone models or operating systems aren't fully compatible with certain apps, which can cause issues. Another thing to consider is whether the ENET cable and USB-C Ethernet adapter work properly. Testing them on another device or with another app, like smart engines, might be worth testing to ensure they function correctly. I hope that helps.
Sponsored

Last edited: