trakday

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
1969 Camaro Z/28 Trans Am race car, 2011 E92 M3 GTS, 1997 E36 M3 race car, 2020 GR SUPRA, 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 Trail Boss
Trying to swap pads but I never experienced such difficulty on any car getting an OEM pad out. Anyone have any step by step instructions? pics or vids would help. Another reason why I always opt for Aftermarket BBK on any of my cars but this one, simple unclip... old pad out and new pad in....less than 5 min per side if that.

I ordered from Carbotech (Silver) and comparing...... clearly you can see they are different from anything else.

Thank you

brake2.jpg

brake.PNG
Sponsored

Last edited:

sun573

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
The backing plate is glued on to the brake piston from the factory. Just use a pry bar and pry hard. You can't break anything. Might help to put a towel between your pry surface so you don't scratch the caliper.

kyippee

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2022 M235
+1 On there not being any great DIYs out there. I found two youtube videos but they don't show the actual removal of stock pads and the retainer clip. They just skip over that part.

I tried to change front brake pads yesterday and it was tricky. I got the pins to come out with a bunch of wiggling, but then it was really hard to figure out how to get the retainer clip out. Not sure if the clip needs to come out first, or if it just comes out with the pads.

One of the front pads got loose enough, but the clip held the pad in the caliper. I gave up because I was in a rush for another session on track.

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
I found everything pretty simple except the pad removal, but once you know about the adhesive and get the first one out, the rest Is easy.

Tap back the 2 pins, remove the retaining clip and then remove pads. For the rear, you have to rotate the piston before pushing it back in.

As others have said...try to push back the piston with a prybar to give you more space to wiggle (wrangle) the stock pad out. Any pad swaps after that should be pretty painless

video I referenced although it seems his pads didn't have the adhesive

Last edited:

1slow_mk5

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra. S2000. 328i
#GRSupra #MKVSupra #ToyotaSupra 2021-20 Toyota Supra A90 Front Brake Pad Change

kyippee

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2022 M235
I figured out my retaining clip issue. Needed to use a pad spreader to push the pistons and pads way back so the clip can be removed. The stock pad weights get in the way. None of the videos talk about that.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I figured out my retaining clip issue. Needed to use a pad spreader to push the pistons and pads way back so the clip can be removed. The stock pad weights get in the way. None of the videos talk about that.
Good feedback. I could see that being a problem. Mine came out fairly easy because my factory pads were new when I changed them out.

-RJM
Sponsored