California smog checks to now include checks for ECU tunes (July 2021+)

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I've been hearing rumblings about this in the tuning community for the last few years. This practice of checking for an ECU tune has already been a regular thing when people take engine swapped cars (that are OBD2 models) through the BAR certification process but it so far has not been for regular OBD2 smog checks in California.

Now it's going to become a part of the regular smog check process at any smog station for all OBD2+ vehicles.

Current article on the subject detailing this:

https://www.carbibles.com/california-will-start-checking-for-ecu-tuning-in-smog-checks-this-month/?fbclid=IwAR2_eOFEzcRvR3N6l4yJd5CKGXsV8X4iknOjugFIm8-1WmiWsNt0wuSfTC0&amp

It doesn't necessarily mean that there will be zero ECU flash tunes allowed but any of them will have to go through the very costly and lengthy CARB E.O. process to not set off a red flag and emissions fail in CA. Anything that hasn't been approved as such in their system isn't going to pass a smog check going forward.

This is just what I've been able to find out in the last day. If anyone has further updated information please feel free to correct this post, thanks.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image8.jpeg
Sponsored

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I hear the weather is still nice sometimes.. if you go far enough north at least.
Its been over 100° all week, with humidity. Not nice weather down here at all. Definitely not nice enough to want to stay here for the rest of my life....

bajanstefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
Its been over 100° all week, with humidity. Not nice weather down here at all. Definitely not nice enough to want to stay here for the rest of my life....
Damn you guys are getting humidity like that these days too? That sounds harsh, hopefully you get some relief before long.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Damn you guys are getting humidity like that these days too? That sounds harsh, hopefully you get some relief before long.
Ya its typically not like this. Today was ok. Around 40% humidity. Monday was just nasty cause it was 105° and 70%. Relief will come in Sept. when it starts to cool back down. But then the insane wind will show up.... To sum it up, there is not much good that comes from CA.

bajanstefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
Ya its typically not like this. Today was ok. Around 40% humidity. Monday was just nasty cause it was 105° and 70%. Relief will come in Sept. when it starts to cool back down. But then the insane wind will show up.... To sum it up, there is not much good that comes from CA.
I can’t imagine to think what the “feels like” was on Monday for you. Been some weird weather years I swear, these oddities are becoming the norm. I was meant to head that way for some work but the plans fell through and I don’t think I’m all that upset. Do still have my eyes on the Sequoia national park though.

Probaholic1

First Name
Frankie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0, 2015 Fiesta ST, 2005 Audi A4b6 2.7
it doesn't happen very often but most of the time the weather is awesome better than anywhere else I've been in the states. With that being said.
Food
Nightlife
Mountains
Beaches
Hobbies
People

I love it here, I've never had issues with my modded cars with that being said. Also, cars would have failed before with a modded tune anyway. There are companies who are cobb legal. APR, Cobb off the top of my head.
Sponsored