Can you “over rev” the AT?

luv2xlr8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Another '21 here. If I don't shift in manual, it doesn't shift, it will cut off the fuel and hang there all day. Now if we really want to add another little aspect to this, I can tell you the M240i that I drove did the exact same thing.

My question this far into the thread would be: is there a difference in the result based on just "sport" mode, or does it behave differently when you turn all traction off. Not just pushing the traction button, but holding it to take all the helpers off. I would go out and come back with answers if I could, but we have enough snow at the moment I can't even get the car out of the garage.
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Is this a 21+ thing? My 2020 gladly bangs off the rev limiter in manual.
Mine too.. you know, we all have to try it once. lol

2020 rocks! :headbang:

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
This is my first automatic performance car. I’m used to manuals at the track, and can’t wait to try this guy out there. I figure, for the first few sessions, I’ll just leave it in auto.

But in manual mode, will the car bounce off the dev limiter or will it automatically go up to the next gear (in manual mode). Also, will it allow you to downshift to a lower gear or will it lock you outfor engine safety reasons? My fear is accidentally shifting to too of a gear and blowing the engine

I drive a 21. I have hit the rev limiter a couple times on accident, and it did not shift, it actually screwed up my "race" (wasn't racing, but a Mustang came from behind and gunned it, so I attempted to. I was watching him as I hit the limit and then car slowed cause of it, derp). My point is that mine has never upshifted for me in over a year of ownership. It will auto-downshift when coming to a stop. If you hold down the downshift it will auto-downshift to safest gear.

OP
OP

REDLINE

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT350
I drive a 21. I have hit the rev limiter a couple times on accident, and it did not shift, it actually screwed up my "race" (wasn't racing, but a Mustang came from behind and gunned it, so I attempted to. I was watching him as I hit the limit and then car slowed cause of it, derp). My point is that mine has never upshifted for me in over a year of ownership. It will auto-downshift when coming to a stop. If you hold down the downshift it will auto-downshift to safest gear.
Oh cool. I didn’t know holding down the downshift will downshift to lowest possible gear. Does it skip directly to that gear or go down sequentially?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Oh cool. I didn’t know holding down the downshift will downshift to lowest possible gear. Does it skip directly to that gear or go down sequentially?
Sequentially and it does it very quickly. I absolutely love this ZF trans in manual mode btw… It’s been the smoothest I’ve driven on a track. Found myself even shifting during a few turns. It was that gentle/stable… usually I wouldn’t want to upset the car with a hard downshift or upshift during heavy cornering. Gotta say, definitely been fun exploring the capabilities of car at Homestead. The automatic transmission, in manual mode, is definitely one of it’s strong points, imo.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Sequentially and it does it very quickly. I absolutely love this ZF trans in manual mode btw… It’s been the smoothest I’ve driven on a track. Found myself even shifting during a few turns. It was that gentle/stable… usually I wouldn’t want to upset the car with a hard downshift or upshift during heavy cornering. Gotta say, definitely been fun exploring the capabilities of car at Homestead. The automatic transmission, in manual mode, is definitely one of it’s strong points, imo.
Holding down the left paddle downshifts to the lowest possible gear directly (i.e., skips the gears between current and target gear). And just to provide more data, my '21 will bounce of the rev limiter all day in manual mode until I shift or back off.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Pre-June '21, will ride the limiter in manual mode. Holding the left paddle down only ever downshifts 2 gears at most and never into 1st, which is annoying.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Pre-June '21, will ride the limiter in manual mode. Holding the left paddle down only ever downshifts 2 gears at most and never into 1st, which is annoying.
Interesting. I suppose I've never attempted to get it to shift into 1st like this. That's good information.

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
They all answered, but sequentially. Also, being in control was a big part of buying the auto. I was always a manual guy, until now. If I couldn't control the shifting, I would not buy it. Normy cars will up and downshift as you floor it or near revs, etc. The Supra has never upshifted for me, instead slowing me down because hitting redline too hard too long (1-2 seconds). It will shift to 1 for you as you're slowing if you don't do it, but that I don't mind. I'm usually in control of my downshift too, except for maybe stopping at lights, I will shift to 2nd or 3rd and it will do the rest as I come to a stop. No big deal there, but you are in control of upshifts as far as I've been able to tell.

Totally worth dropping the vroom vroom manual mentality! I only miss being able to rev at any time. Now I have to be stopped to rev it for ppl, heh. I wish the shifter button would put it in neutral while holding it.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
They all answered, but sequentially. Also, being in control was a big part of buying the auto. I was always a manual guy, until now. If I couldn't control the shifting, I would not buy it. Normy cars will up and downshift as you floor it or near revs, etc. The Supra has never upshifted for me, instead slowing me down because hitting redline too hard too long (1-2 seconds). It will shift to 1 for you as you're slowing if you don't do it, but that I don't mind. I'm usually in control of my downshift too, except for maybe stopping at lights, I will shift to 2nd or 3rd and it will do the rest as I come to a stop. No big deal there, but you are in control of upshifts as far as I've been able to tell.

Totally worth dropping the vroom vroom manual mentality! I only miss being able to rev at any time. Now I have to be stopped to rev it for ppl, heh. I wish the shifter button would put it in neutral while holding it.
As a joke, while driving through a parking lot, I put the car into neutral to rev the car, then back to drive. It worked. 🤦🏼

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2023 F150 Tremor
while driving through a parking lot, I put the car into neutral to rev the car, then back to drive. It worked. 🤦🏼
+1 (not as a joke, but to make noise…for fun) this works at low parking lot speeds. It will actually go into neutral at a higher speed than I feel safe trying to get it back into gear. I generally slow way down (to parking lot speeds) before trying to get back into D.

Also, I can confirm my experience is that my car will auto upshift 1-2. Not sure if everyone else’s tests are 1-2 or 2-3+.

- M mode (shifter to the left)
- Sport mode
- VSC completely off

FYI, 2020 (tuned on ecutek).

However, the scenario goes something like this:

All settings above and I’m sitting at a stop light, stop sign, or u-turn with the intent to turn. 1st gear. Give it gas, slide out during the the turn while counter steering, I hit the limiter somewhere in here, and as I’m straightening the car/wheel, the car auto upshifts to 2.

This happened multiple times last night right as I was going to hit the paddle to upshift resulting in my double upshift to 3.

I honestly feel like I’ve hit the limiter in 1 during donuts with no auto upshift (same settings as above, obviously).

So maybe, just maybe:
- the car will hold gears in 2+
- the car will auto upshift 1-2 if it senses that you want to go straight at some point (or are picking up speed - sounds more likely now that I think about it), but not if doing donuts (or burnouts - someone has had to hit the limiter in 1 doing a burnout…)

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
+1 (not as a joke, but to make noise…for fun) this works at low parking lot speeds. It will actually go into neutral at a higher speed than I feel safe trying to get it back into gear. I generally slow way down (to parking lot speeds) before trying to get back into D.

Also, I can confirm my experience is that my car will auto upshift 1-2. Not sure if everyone else’s tests are 1-2 or 2-3+.

- M mode (shifter to the left)
- Sport mode
- VSC completely off

FYI, 2020 (tuned on ecutek).

However, the scenario goes something like this:

All settings above and I’m sitting at a stop light, stop sign, or u-turn. 1st gear. Give it gas, slide out during the the turn while counter steering, I hit the limiter somewhere in here, and as I’m straightening the car/wheel, the car auto upshifts to 2.

This happened multiple times last night right as I was going to hit the paddle to upshift resulting in my double upshift to 3.

I honestly feel like I’ve hit the limiter in 1 during donuts with no auto upshift (same settings as above, obviously).

So maybe, just maybe:
- the car will hold gears in 2+
- the car will auto upshift 1-2 if it senses that you want to go straight at some point (or are picking up speed - sounds more likely now that I think about it), but not if doing donuts (or burnouts - someone has had to hit the limiter in 1 doing a burnout…)
Interesting 🤔 My wife hit the rev limit on track (it’s been a while for her) a few times this past weekend while I was riding shotgun. It didn’t upshift but it did cut power, thankfully. We had everything turned off, if that makes a difference?!?

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Interesting 🤔 My wife hit the rev limit on track (it’s been a while for her) a few times this past weekend while I was riding shotgun. It didn’t upshift but it did cut power, thankfully. We had everything turned off, if that makes a difference?!?
Supports my theory of holding gears in 2+ (assuming she wasn’t in 1st when this happened).

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Supports my theory of holding gears in 2+ (assuming she wasn’t in 1st when this happened).

That's either a '20 thing or in your tune. Mine will ride the limiter in 1st gear doing a burnout and donut, etc... It has never auto-upshifted under any condition.

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's either a '20 thing or in your tune. Mine will ride the limiter in 1st gear doing a burnout and donut, etc... It has never auto-upshifted under any condition.
Have you exited your donut or burnout at the limiter? Like, are you at the limiter and at speed for 1st?

I ask because I’ve had donuts at the limiter with no auto upshift (like you). And I’ve been sliding a turn from a stop picking up speed where it auto upshifts 1-2.

I’m wondering if the speed of the car makes a difference in to the auto upshift from 1-2.

ECU tunes shouldn’t affect trans behavior.

The 2020 vs. 2021+ theory could be sound.

As far as protecting the engine, I have all the confidence in the world that the car does that. At this point, I’m just really curious about the stock trans tuning.
Sponsored