Can you “over rev” the AT?

REDLINE

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT350
This is my first automatic performance car. I’m used to manuals at the track, and can’t wait to try this guy out there. I figure, for the first few sessions, I’ll just leave it in auto.

But in manual mode, will the car bounce off the dev limiter or will it automatically go up to the next gear (in manual mode). Also, will it allow you to downshift to a lower gear or will it lock you outfor engine safety reasons? My fear is accidentally shifting to too of a gear and blowing the engine
Sponsored

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
This is my first automatic performance car. I’m used to manuals at the track, and can’t wait to try this guy out there. I figure, for the first few sessions, I’ll just leave it in auto.

But in manual mode, will the car bounce off the dev limiter or will it automatically go up to the next gear (in manual mode). Also, will it allow you to downshift to a lower gear or will it lock you outfor engine safety reasons? My fear is accidentally shifting to too of a gear and blowing the engine
It will not let you downshift to a gear that is too low and hurt the engine.

If I remember in manual mode, it will rev to redline and then hit the fuel cut off - I can't remember off the top of my head if it will shift for you after a couple seconds after fuel cut off.

OP
OP

REDLINE

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT350
It will not let you downshift to a gear that is too low and hurt the engine.

If I remember in manual mode, it will rev to redline and then hit the fuel cut off - I can't remember off the top of my head if it will shift for you after a couple seconds after fuel cut off.
Ahh. That’s relieving to hear. Thanks, MisterSkiz!

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
It won't let you downshift to too low of a gear.

It will also automatically upshift at redline in manual mode, it won't hit the rev limiter. If you get the xHP trans flash, you can also set the max RPM shift points for each gear in normal, sport, and manual mode for further customization.

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
It will protect you from downshifting too far.

It will automatically upshift if you’re in M mode and are at the limit for too long (which is really short actually).

Edit: maybe this is the case only when “temporarily” going into M mode by hitting the paddles when in a non-M mode (i.e. shifter not to the left). 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
OP
OP

REDLINE

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT350
Thanks everyone! Lookin forward to takin her out to the track!

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Manual sport mode or just normal manual? I have bounced off the limiter hundreds of times in sport manual.
Both I think, but definitely sport. I never use normal manual, I only use manual in sport mode, and it's never hit the limiter because it'll shift first. There have even been times where I was trying to shift at redline, and it ended up shifting up two gears because it automatically shifted at the same time as I hit the paddle. Since I saw that happen, I have just stopped up shifting in manual unless I'm short-shifting it, I'll just let it shift itself when it hits redline. It sounds like it could be a 2020 vs 2021 change.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Both I think, but definitely sport. I never use normal manual, I only use manual in sport mode, and it's never hit the limiter because it'll shift first. There have even been times where I was trying to shift at redline, and it ended up shifting up two gears because it automatically shifted at the same time as I hit the paddle. Since I saw that happen, I have just stopped up shifting in manual unless I'm short-shifting it, I'll just let it shift itself when it hits redline. It sounds like it could be a 2020 vs 2021 change.
Yea def sounds like a 21+ change. Hadn't heard of it before.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
This only works for me if I paddle down shift and then run it up to redline with the gear shift still in the drive position. If it’s moved over to the manual drive mode position it just bangs on the limiter for me. I don’t let it do that for long.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
This only works for me if I paddle down shift and then run it up to redline with the gear shift still in the drive position. If it’s moved over to the manual drive mode position it just bangs on the limiter for me. I don’t let it do that for long.
Ahh, the plot thickens. That makes more sense. So 21+ can still bang off the limiter, as long as it's truly in manual mode.

This also makes me realize, I have literally never driven the car in Auto. lol

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmmm...that's strange, it definitely shifts automatically for me when in full manual. My car is tuned with Ecutek, maybe a modification was made there which might have an effect

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Hmmm...that's strange, it definitely shifts automatically for me when in full manual. My car is tuned with Ecutek, maybe a modification was made there which might have an effect
Mine is stock… for now 👍
Sponsored